Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... Posting with some unfortunate news and hoping you all can help. We recently had some really strange noises coming from the car, and need some help diagnosing. Thoughts so far are valve spring, IMS and spun bearing. Please take a listen in the video below and see if you have any ideas! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
55 Posts
My '06 987.1 CS ate a rod bearing last summer. The engine noise started off sounding similar to your's, but quickly got way worse.

Within about 10 minutes of run time, it sounded like a bag full of wrenches getting tossed down stairs. There was also a lot of sparkling metallic debris in the oil filter.

Pulling and cutting the oil filter for a visual inspection might not be a bad idea before you run it much longer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
We were able to save the cylinder liners, but other than that...it needed a full rebuild.

From Day 1 the rebuild burned a ton of oil. 1 year and 3K miles later, it's still burning a quart every 450 miles (even after swapping the AOS 1K miles ago).

Not a fun process. Hopefully you won't need to do it.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

719 Posts
Hey guys, very to sorry to hear of your troubles! At first I thought it was a header gasket but it became pretty quickly apparent that it was not. I would say that minimizing the runtime on this engine now is top priority IMO. You should send an oil sample to Blackstone so they can analyze what, if any metal is present. It could 'just' be a broken valve spring. Fingers crossed that it is something simple for you all! Give us a shout if we can help in any way.

Best,

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We were able to save the cylinder liners, but other than that...it needed a full rebuild.

From Day 1 the rebuild burned a ton of oil. 1 year and 3K miles later, it's still burning a quart every 450 miles (even after swapping the AOS 1K miles ago).

Not a fun process. Hopefully you won't need to do it.

Good luck!!
Thanks! It's going to be interesting for sure. Definitely was not prepared for a problem of this magnitude.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys, very to sorry to hear of your troubles! At first I thought it was a header gasket but it became pretty quickly apparent that it was not. I would say that minimizing the runtime on this engine now is top priority IMO. You should send an oil sample to Blackstone so they can analyze what, if any metal is present. It could 'just' be a broken valve spring. Fingers crossed that it is something simple for you all! Give us a shout if we can help in any way.
Thanks guys! We were praying it was a header gasket as well. At first, especially due to the location of the sound, that's what it seemed like. Obviously no such luck!

We ordered a kit from Blackstone to get an oil sample analyzed, as well as a better stethoscope and a boroscope.

Only run time now will be one start without the front belt to ensure it isn't front accessory related.

We will be videoing the diagnosis from here so hopefully it can help someone else out if they have a similar problem in the future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In my 2007 CS, a sudden onslaught of rattling came on together with the CEL light. Hooking up PIWIS showed there was misfiring on cylinders 4 and 6. You might want to hook up a reader to see if there are any codes thrown.

In my case, one of my cylinder 6 intake valve seat had broken off and I had loose intake valve guides in cylinder 4 and 6. Fortunately enough the cylinder liners were in good shape even after all this so I just rebuild the left bank and car is purring again.

This is an interesting read on the valve seat issue which I suffered from:
https://newsite.hamheads.com/2016/11/22/a-tale-of-three-headsthe-3-4lineage-m96m979a1/

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my 2007 CS, a sudden onslaught of rattling came on together with the CEL light. Hooking up PIWIS showed there was misfiring on cylinders 4 and 6. You might want to hook up a reader to see if there are any codes thrown.

In my case, one of my cylinder 6 intake valve seat had broken off and I had loose intake valve guides in cylinder 4 and 6. Fortunately enough the cylinder liners were in good shape even after all this so I just rebuild the left bank and car is purring again.

This is an interesting read on the valve seat issue which I suffered from:
https://newsite.hamheads.com/2016/11/22/a-tale-of-three-headsthe-3-4lineage-m96m979a1/
I actually read that article earlier today! I'm still keeping up hope that it isn't a total loss. Thanks for replying, another thing that hopefully can be seen with boroscope I just ordered!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got my 07 Cayman S about 5 months ago this past April. Immediately stumbled upon your YouTube channel as a lot of the mods I've enlisted for my car you guys have done already.

I hope the issue is a small one and you get the car back on the road very soon. Good luck guys

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Shaun! The channel has been a lot of fun so far, and it's great hearing from people like you! Hopefully this is nothing TOO catastrophic, otherwise the CS will be on the sideline for a bit. And then it will probably end up getting LS swapped ha.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Curious to know... How often did you run shifts up to or near redline? Rumor has it that journeys into the upper 6K rpm range is tough on M97 rod bearings.
While on the track, I try to shift at6K rpm to extend their life.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unfortunate results! Good video. I know you guys did some AutoX, did you ever run a trackday/DE with the car?
Thanks, definitely unfortunate! We did autox but no DE's, not sure about the PO but I don't thin so? We were aware of the potential oil starvation issues and chose not to run slicks at the autox because of it. I'd be shocked if that's what caused it but at the same time I don't know what else it could be!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Curious to know... How often did you run shifts up to or near redline? Rumor has it that journeys into the upper 6K rpm range is tough on M97 rod bearings.
While on the track, I try to shift at6K rpm to extend their life.
The car definitely spent a lot of time in the upper rev ranges, especially at the autox. While autocrossing it wasn't uncommon to be on the limiter for a second or so trying to keep from shifting before a gate. I wasn't aware this was an issue, thanks for chiming in!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.