Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Currently own a 2007 Cayman s and looking to buy either a new cayenne s or e hybrid. I've driven the diesel and didn't like it at all. Thoughts ?????
Please help

·
Registered
22 Posts
We bought a new Cayenne S for my wife approx 6 weeks ago. My work vehicle is a Yukon Denali that I like. After driving her Cayenne, I prefer Cayenne by quite a bit. It handles great for an SUV and corners like a Porsche. It is really smooth driving. It has plenty of go with the turbo. I looked at Macan pretty hard and it drove closer to Cayman but we thought it was too small for our needs. If you can get by with less room I would certainly test drive on of those. When we test drove the Cayenne we knew that this was the right choice. I like the larger size and actually prefer it to the Macan. If you had to get rid of Cayman I would give it a serious look but otherwise the Cayenne should be great. We got a good deal on one that was at dealer that I took pretty fast but I miss a few options that were on Cayman. It has the 8 way seats and I would prefer the 14 way or 18 way like I had in my Cayman. The seats are comfortable but I was surprised we had spent that much money and didn't have lumbar adjustment. It is driven mostly in town and no trip so I don't have any real sense of average fuel economy. Sorry, have only driven Cayenne S so I can't compare with any others. Drive a Cayenne and tell us what you think. I'll be surprised if you don't like it much better than the diesel.

·
Registered
167 Posts
S. Or Diesel. But not the Hybrid.

Dealer gave me a Pana Hybrid and that was the worst experience ever. Soulless and very delayed (but then massive) response on acceleration input. It's quick but difficult to drive on twisties. Likes the Cayenne Diesel I had a weekend before much more.

Friend has a Caymann S (V8), that' probably the way to go if you are not too worries about fuel consumption. Another colleague has a Macan Turbo (engine similar to newest generation Cayenne S), that's a gas guzzling beast....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info, i've driven the s, and it great, no complaints whatsoever. And then i drove the e, and its like you say, quiet, uncanny, quirky, up to about 40km/h and then the petrol kicks in. And thats when it becomes like the porsche we all know and love.
it is however something new and thats whats making me think twice and also because i already have the CS as my "sports car"

Anyone driven a e-hyrbrid cayenne to comment?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
My 2 cents worth - I'd go for the S, every time. On some of the Cayenne boards there are guys who don't like the hybrids. There have been some problem reports. The Cayenne hybrid makes no sense to me. It's substantially heavier and more than $2500 more than the S with taxes. The 47 mpg EPA mileage rating for the Cayenne hybrids is TOTAL BS unless you live next door to work and can commute round trip without starting the engine. It has no tow rating or hitch available. Hello! How can the call it a sports utility vehicle? I'm not buying it. No way, no how. The Cayenne S is a super SUV.

If you think you would prefer the V8 replaced by the TT V6 in 2015, the recent GTS have some nice upgrades compared to the S, there are some great buys in 2013 and 2014 Cayenne GTS, some of which are CPO with longer factory warranties than a new S. The GTS is really sweet, if slightly lower gas mileage doesn't bother you. For me, I like both the new S and the recent GTS, depending on the best deal I could find.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
What are you going to use the truck for? Any towing? If not I would seriously consider the Base Cayenne which has 300hp which is plenty for that truck verse the Cayenne S which is 420hp. My wife has a 2011 Base Cayenne we purchased new and loves it. We looked at the Cayenne S and could not justify the extra money. We get really good gas milage as well. I attached the window sticker.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
No but I'm pretty sure that color carries a premium cost. I'd go with a std color or one with a low option cost.
If it's for the wife, I agree the base is nice. If for me to drive, I want the 420 or 440 ponies and that broad torque band at 400+ ft-lbs.

And the S is rated 17/24 mpg so fuel economy shouldn't be an issue unless u commute 94 miles each way like a buddy of mine does. He wears out MT Corollas for his commuting, generally with no maintenance other than oil/filter, tires and brakes. That low-cost reliable car and 40 mpg are hard to beat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts