Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did a quick search of previous threads and was surprised not to find any posts discussing this.

Can anybody pass along some recommendations on tuner shops, hopefully in the Northern or Northwestern suburbs, although anywhere near Chicago is good.

I'm planning on suspension work (lowering springs, etc.) and would also like to find an alternative to the Dealer for non-scheduled maintenance work.

Oh, one more thing - I'm planning to powder coat my OEM 17"s black and would appreciate anybody's experience (good AND bad) with vendors. Dealer told me $1,200...umm, no thanks.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not try Napleton Porsche?
They do great performance work.
With their InterSeries cars, who would know Caymans better?
Hi James. Thanks for the response.

While you may be right that they know Caymans better than most, they don't seem to be interested in my business. When I was searching for a dealer for my 1st Minor Maintenance last year, I couldn't get the time of day from them or their service department. Quite frustrating, and it turned me into a Loeber Porsche guy for scheduled maintenance.

Also, I'm looking more for an alternative to the dealer network, as I think that there's more pricing flexibility.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here are a few shops that were recommended to me. My car is in storage and I haven't yet tried any of them yet...so let me know if you use any of them.

Euroquipe in St. Charles - They work on Porsche, Benz and BMW. Tim Kautz is the proprietor. Hear he's a very good tech and a very successful SCCA Formula Ford racer.

Liecht Automotive or Leicht Automotive in Wauconda/Barrington area

Fall Line Motorsports in Northbrook. Fall-Line Motorsports

Perfect Power in Buffalo Grove Perfect Power

Fischer Motorsports in Lake Barrington 22221 N. Hillview Dr. 847-304-8822 No website, but have been around a while.

Maybe some others can speak to some of these. Let me know if you find anything else...

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are a few shops that were recommended to me. My car is in storage and I haven't yet tried any of them yet...so let me know if you use any of them.

Euroquipe in St. Charles - They work on Porsche, Benz and BMW. Tim Kautz is the proprietor. Hear he's a very good tech and a very successful SCCA Formula Ford racer.

Liecht Automotive or Leicht Automotive in Wauconda/Barrington area

Fall Line Motorsports in Northbrook. Fall-Line Motorsports

Perfect Power in Buffalo Grove Perfect Power

Fischer Motorsports in Lake Barrington 22221 N. Hillview Dr. 847-304-8822 No website, but have been around a while.

Maybe some others can speak to some of these. Let me know if you find anything else...
Thanks for the response, K Kush. I will post my thoughts when I find the right Chicagoland tuner.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Here's a place I've heard a great deal about: Midwest Eurosport, 104 W Irving Park Rd Bensenville, IL 60106 -2110. (630) 595-5577. These guys seem to know what they are doing.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in Fox River Grove (3 miles west of Barrington off hwy 14). I owned an 86 Porsche 911 for 18 years and now own a low mileage 07 Cayman. I've used R. Fischer Motors in Lake Barrington (847) 304-8822, to service both of my cars and have been very happy with them. Their specialty is European cars, Porsches in particluar. They have a new state of the art facility and have been extremely pleasant to work with over the years.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses, everybody. I've shot some e-mails into these guys and will report back when I make a choice, and my experience after I use them.

Although I may be excluding some vendors on the basis that they don't have a website, or don't have e-mail, it's the way that I get things done...scheduling, questions, etc. don't always happen during business hours, and I tire quickly of being on hold, talking to receptionists, etc.

As if anybody needs a reason to seek cheaper alternatives to the Dealer network, check this out.

Dealer told me it would cost $125 parts & labor to change the cabin particle filter. I saved $100 by following the instructions in this article - http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=172&cat=10.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful that a relatively robust dealer network exists, and there are certain procedures for which no other vendor will suffice. However, paying them $125 to change a filter seems to me to be similar to paying a dentist $50 to brush your teeth. No, thanks. I'll do it myself.

Even donating $25 to Planet-9, I'm still coming out $75 ahead! Man, I LOVE THE INTERNET!!!!!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I received responses from 2 of the 4 tuners that were recommended.

Perfect Power was very responsive and had the best hourly labor rate, but doesn't do powder coating. I'll want to take a look at their shop before I give them my business, but certainly appreciate the cost and responsiveness/demeanor of my contact there.

Fall-Line Motorsports in Northbrook was responsive as well, and had competitive rates on powder coating my OEM 17"s. They were willing to work with me on price, which was enough to get me into their shop. Man, was I blown away! They had everything from GT3 Cup cars, a SCCA pure-bread Maserati and the actual BMW's that raced (and won their class) at Daytona a couple of weeks ago. Or so the guy told me...He asked if I watched the race, to which I responded "Well, I watched the Porsches in the race!!!" :)

To top it off, The Discovery Channel was there filming a documentary on building race cars. That sealed the deal.

I'll report back on my satisfaction with the powder coat.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Got the wheels back yesterday from Fall-Line Motorsports. Quite pleased with how they turned out, and personally think that it is the best that the OEM 17"ers are going to look. Now all I need to do is to cover up those silver lug bolts...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Got the wheels back yesterday from Fall-Line Motorsports. Quite pleased with how they turned out, and personally think that it is the best that the OEM 17"ers are going to look. Now all I need to do is to cover up those silver lug bolts...
Very nice! Congrats. We'll have to get the two red Caymans together sometime this spring.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Looks fantastic. I'm thinking of doing the same thing now.

·
Registered
393 Posts
is there a chicago sub forum? I just got a 2010 box S and would like to, at the very least, forum post with folks from the city, exchange ideas, etc. how many folks in chitown are active here? I also need to join the PCA.

btw, I plan on driving my car yearound. Finance, I note your pic was in the winter. I've read that our cars are good in the winter but only if one gets winter tires. Now need to find 17inch wheels so I can fit them with winter tires when the time comes in october...

·
Registered
309 Posts
is there a chicago sub forum? I just got a 2010 box S and would like to, at the very least, forum post with folks from the city, exchange ideas, etc. how many folks in chitown are active here? I also need to join the PCA.

btw, I plan on driving my car yearound. Finance, I note your pic was in the winter. I've read that our cars are good in the winter but only if one gets winter tires. Now need to find 17inch wheels so I can fit them with winter tires when the time comes in october...
There is a regional forum. However, it is very quiet compared to the Nor'Easters. There are a few of us from Chicago here. Wish there was more - would love to find a Cayman community. Congrats on the new Box S.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Chicagoland update: I recently took my car to Fischer Motorsports in Barrington to have my new rear tires mounted and balanced. Shop was very nice. They got me in the same day and got the work done while me and my family went to lunch nearby. Person I dealt with was nice, but could have been a bit more engaging.

I tried to get into Euroquipe but they were backlogged almost 2 weeks and I was impatient. They seemed very helpful over the phone and I will definitely give them a try down the road. Will also try Fischer again too as they are closer to my home/work.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There is a regional forum. However, it is very quiet compared to the Nor'Easters. There are a few of us from Chicago here. Wish there was more - would love to find a Cayman community. Congrats on the new Box S.
First, let me second this post - Congrats on the BoxS. Is there anything better to drive on a nice day than that car?

Second, there is a rather broad geographical forum that includes Chicago. I've tried to organize get-togethers and the response has been underwhelming. Here, I think, is the reason: We get much less time to enjoy our cars, and most would rather drive than meet, I guess.

Any suggestions to improve that would be appreciated. Let me know.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've read that our cars are good in the winter but only if one gets winter tires.
Not true. A good all-season tire works fine in all but 1/4 inch and higher of snow. But I've heard that the true winter/snow tires aren't very good in anything deeper than 1/4" either.

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons. Much better than the Sumitomo A/S that I used to have. They were junk.

Of course, the summer performance tires that your Boxster came with turn into slippery rocks if they get much below 40 degrees.

We should get a Chicagoland P-Cars & Coffee thing going - meet up once a month or something.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks guys. I just got the car march 31, so for that weekend at least, we got great top down weather. This weekend should be good too. What a great car. Puts a smile in my face every time. I'm one of those that "looks back" at her when I walk away. I never considered myself to be a convertible kind a guy, but man I must admit it's fun. My original thought was getting a sports car. I mean, I'm in my early 30's, don't have kids (yet) and figured this is as good a time as any. My live-in girlfriend (soon enough...soon enough ;) ) likes convertibles and always wanted one. With the box s I think I got the best of both worlds: a sports car that just happens to be a convertible. :). It sure makes the money spent easier for the household to swallow when my girl gets almost as much enjoyment out if it than I do.

Re winter tires, I will not use AS tires in the winter. My last car was AWD and had pretty good AS tires (Bridgestone’s 960 AS), and although good, did not provide excellent traction. I don’t plan on taking out the BS in the winter when there is snow on the ground (I’ll wait until streets get plowed after the 6 or so snow events we get a season), but do want the best possible traction just in case. I’ll probably go with dedicated “sport” winter tires when the time comes.

Re meets, I'll be up for one. I realize it's hard, especially if it is a beautiful sunny day… where I would normally be found at Wrigley, playing with my dog at the beach, or at the beach with my lady friend…others might be doing same or hanging out with significant others and with their kids. I live/work downtown, so anything in the chicagoland area would be OK. Are folks here involved with the Chicago chapter of the PCA? I have to join that to check it out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went with 18" Dunlop Winter Sport 3D on my Cayman S. Unless you're trying to slog through more than 2-3" sitting on the road, you will be fine with these tires. If you plan to drive your Box in the winter, be sure to get a clear bra with full hood coverage... the slope of the hood makes it really vulnerable to flying road debris.

I'm up for a get-together, provided we meet somewhere in the northern suburbs (I live in Milwaukee). I'm dying to go for a ride with someone who has a Box/Cay with SpeedArt or FVD exhaust! I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on this mod, but can't decide between Export or TUV version.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts