Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, just need some quick help...

Driving along in 2nd gear, let off the gas and heard a "whoosh" sound, kind of like opening a bottle of coke. Tried the brakes, worked fine, tried the throttle - also fine. Then tried to change gear, and the clutch would not disengage drive. Limped to a car park, and now awaiting recovery.

I had been driving in central London traffic for about 90 mins before the failure, constant stop start traffic. Car is a CS, 33k on original clutch, had the RMS replaced by Porsche last year.

Just wanted to know what it's likely to be? Slave cylinder or related? Brake fluid reservoir is still full, not dumped fluid anywhere that I can see.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see your car in your profile (can add it by adding it to your garage) so I don't know what year it is, but some early cars had flywheel bolts that weren't tightened to spec which caused failures. Let us know what your shop says it is.
Hey k-man, it's a 2007 MY, registered March 2007. Clutch pedal feels strange, just tried it now, if I press it down gently it feels like it's grinding gently, or juddering for the first half of the pedal travel, very wierd. Still waiting for the truck......

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Well I am pretty sure the flywheel bolt problem was fixed by the 07 models, so likely something else, if you haven't modded anything related to the clutch then probably just some random failure, but of course let us all know what your dealer determines the cause to be.

·
Cayman Register Advocate
7,305 Posts
Well I am pretty sure the flywheel bolt problem was fixed by the 07 models, so likely something else, if you haven't modded anything related to the clutch then probably just some random failure, but of course let us all know what your dealer determines the cause to be.
Even if this was an early 06, this problem wouldn't apply any more because he had a RMS issue worked on. The mechanic would have had to remove the pressure plate, clutch and flywheel to properly address the RMS. The loose PP bolts were caused by an incorrect tool used at the factory that torqued all of the bolts in one shot. This tool isn't used by the dealers. They do each bolt independently.

The whoosh you described sounds like a hydraulic problem. You may have ruptured the line going to the slave, or you may have had one of the bad slaves that should have been replaced under workshop campaign W-802. This effected roughly 1,200 987 model vehicles, starting in late 2007 and extending into early 2008. There were also an undetermined number of these bad slaves sent into the parts network, which will be hard to find and recall.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Even if this was an early 06, this problem wouldn't apply any more because he had a RMS issue worked on. The mechanic would have had to remove the pressure plate, clutch and flywheel to properly address the RMS. The loose PP bolts were caused by an incorrect tool used at the factory that torqued all of the bolts in one shot. This tool isn't used by the dealers. They do each bolt independently.

The whoosh you described sounds like a hydraulic problem. You may have ruptured the line going to the slave, or you may have had one of the bad slaves that should have been replaced under workshop campaign W-802. This effected roughly 1,200 987 model vehicles, starting in late 2007 and extending into early 2008. There were also an undetermined number of these bad slaves sent into the parts network, which will be hard to find and recall.
Yes that's true, of course his dealer could have left the flywheel bolts loose if he had the incorrect torque specs which Porsche manuals have been known to have from time to time. If someone has been in there mucking around for the RMS fix there is some chance that something wasn't put back together right.

As for the slave cylinder that is also a possibility but since he said that he has no loss of fluid and no signs of a fluid leak anywhere, then a line would not be ruptured or else some time of leak or loss of fluid would be present. It is a good idea to have him check past campaigns to determine if they were completed as needed, but as you said if he has the RMS work done then a dealer should have also checked for open campaigns and taken care of those at the same time.

It is worth reviewing that service campaign which can be done here:
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-chat/16507-recall.html#post196202

where I posted the prior letter from Porsche on the subject.

Anyway, as I said previously, please let us know what your dealers says it turned out to be. Hopefully something they can fix quickly and easily and get you back on the road enjoying your car ASAP! :cheers:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the info. Will get it to Porsche on Monday and see what they say...

·
Premium Member
981CaymanS
611 Posts
Y
As for the slave cylinder that is also a possibility but since he said that he has no loss of fluid and no signs of a fluid leak anywhere, then a line would not be ruptured or else some time of leak or loss of fluid would be present.

K-Man,
However, if he heard a whoosh noise inside the cabin perhaps it was the clutch main cylinder the one that gave up the ghost...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

Porsche have examined the car, and cannot find fault with the hydrolic system apparantly. Next step is to take the gearbox off and physically inspect the clutch. They suspect the pressure plate has snapped possibly.

Something more interesting was discovered after looking at the car though, which is: surprise surprise, the RMS leak is back. So that's 2 RMS leaks on this car now. Porsche carried out the first RMS replacement in I believe May 2009, roughly 9000 further miles on the clock since then.

I'm not sure if these 2 problems can be related, what do you guys think?

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Well if the rear main seal was leaking I guess there is some possibility of fluid getting onto the flywheel/clutch plate, etc. and causing some problems, but it would have to be a big leak. If they repaired your original engine the first time you might push for a replacement engine this time and see if they will do it, otherwise you should get an extended warranty of some kind vs. RMS leaks in my opinion as I wouldn't trust the same motor not to leak again at some point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts