Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Trying to find grip in the rain with Hoosier A7 slicks using lower pressures of 24f and 26r. Outside temp was about 40 degrees F.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The latest weather report was for overcast with clearing later in the afternoon. So, I had my slicks on. Luckily it was not standing water, just NW heavy mist. The Wavetrac LSD really worked well here keeping the traction balanced from apex to corner exit and also keeping the car straight on braking.
Crazy, my heart rate was pretty high.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad to hear that you had a good weekend. Mine was quite interesting. Morning runs were soaking wet and was my first time trying to race the car under those conditions. It was a real struggle to keep the car from understeering badly, and the oversteer breakaway seemed really quite abrupt to me. My codriver thinks it's partially due to our set of old RE-71R. I wasn't losing the car in a OMG-I'm-going-to-crash way, but just an OMG-I'm-losing-so-much-time sort of way.

I got so lucky that my afternoon runs were pretty well fully dry, and my strongest competition was in drying-but-not-fully-dry conditions. Ended up finishing top PAX out of 90 competitors but I know I lucked out this time. "Mother Nature, take the wheel!"

I did experiment a bit with pressures. Ended up using 32/30 in the dry whereas at prior events I was the other way around at 32/34. I still have a bit of work to do in terms of cutting a little closer to the cones on a consistent basis.

My codriver will be joining me for our next autocross which is a 2-day event where our best times across 4 courses are summed.

·
Registered
2007 Cayman Base, MCS 2-way remote dampers, Tarett top damper mounts and sway bars, OS Giken LSD
3 Posts
Congratulations Arthur, any day you end up top PAX is a great day. Really like your videos, motivates me to replace my broken camera.
I sometimes miss the wet race days, but that maybe a result of this past weekend’s 90+ deg days at Thunderhill/Willows on the skid pad with the PCA AX group. It’s only going to get hotter for AX events in the next 4 months. My results were not as stellar as yours. Used the first 8 of 12 runs to play with damper settings over their full range. Someplace in that testing I ran through the RT-660’s sweet spot and never got it back. Fun anyway and learned a bunch about what compression/bump damper settings feel like from the drivers seat. I hope it helps me next weekend’s PCA events at the very bumpy Cow Palace parking lot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice run. But what's with the car launching in front of you in the finish braking zone?
Yeah that was clearly a mistake by the starter, or the driver misunderstood the starter. I worked that position the next heat and the safe launch window was quite small. I actually didn't even notice it until I looked at my footage at home.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congratulations Arthur, any day you end up top PAX is a great day. Really like your videos, motivates me to replace my broken camera.
I sometimes miss the wet race days, but that maybe a result of this past weekend’s 90+ deg days at Thunderhill/Willows on the skid pad with the PCA AX group. It’s only going to get hotter for AX events in the next 4 months. My results were not as stellar as yours. Used the first 8 of 12 runs to play with damper settings over their full range. Someplace in that testing I ran through the RT-660’s sweet spot and never got it back. Fun anyway and learned a bunch about what compression/bump damper settings feel like from the drivers seat. I hope it helps me next weekend’s PCA events at the very bumpy Cow Palace parking lot.
Thanks for all your comments! Oooof, our daily high temps are still around 55F. I had to Google "Cow Palace" and the origins of the name are hilarious. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_Palace#Behind_the_name

41 - 48 of 48 Posts