Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've got a 2006 black cayman s. they came with the silver lip under the bumper. well i was at the mall the other day and there was this curb that came out of nowhere! ok so probably not but anyway i bumped into it and it damaged the driver side silver trim piece. im looking for opinions and maybe someone with photoshop. i need to know if i should go with the factory silver, flat black, gloss black (body color) or with a red to match the pinstripe around my wheel and the brake caliper. i'm going to attach a pic or 2 and hopefully i can get some opinions and suggestions!! thanks in advance!:banana:

·
Registered
565 Posts
I can't help you with the photoshop, but I can offer my opinion. I think you should go with the gloss black (body color). The silver looks to be the only silver on the car, I don't think it really "flows" with car. The red would be too much. The wheels and breaks are good red highlights. The red on the bumper would stand out too much and take away from the overall look. That's my 1.3297 cents (adjusted for inflation).

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
In 2006, those strips were silver. Begining 2007, they were painted body color. So, any of your choices would work--except flat black or red. Be assured, though, you will be scraping them again--often.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
chris_campbell25

Deffinately no red or silver .I think the Flat Black would look cool ,the Gt-3 styled front bumper has a urathene front lower piece that has the look of a flatt black and it look great . Easy to touch up if you scrape again as well .Thats my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
You know, In the year I've had my car, never scratched the lip spoilers once..

now, the previous owner... good god. So for, i think, $150 from suncoast I just bought new ones. They sell the silver ones, and black (which I believe are unpainted.) 3 little clips snap in and your done. Just wish they spanned the whole front bumper, but I guess thats what the aerokit is for.

Personally, I like the silver accent on a black cayman, but if you have the means, painting them the body color yourself is prolly the way to go.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Best bet would be to purchase the unpainted flat black spoilers #987-505-527-00-01C & 505-528-00-01C from Sunset Imports @ $31.34 each & paint them yourself with Duplicolor paint.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
If you want to get the same silver parts, they are pretty cheap, or at least they were when I bought a spare set a couple of years ago. Just make sure that the parts guy knows you want the factory-stock silver spears, not a matches-the-car set (which will be significantly more). IIRC, they were about the same price as the unpainted set (or maybe just a few dollars more).

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Wow, don't feel too bad, because I did almost the same thing two weeks ago. Mine is a black 2006 CS I bought new, and I drove it for four years being so very careful and avoided any scratches or door dings. Then, two weeks ago I'm pulling up to a high curb to park and just tapped the curb. My heart stopped, I'm sure:eek:. I avoided scratching the silver spoiler, but put some small scratches on the black paint just to the left of the non-functional middle air inlet (I guess it is functional in a Tip). I touched it up, and you would never notice if you didn't know it was there. But I know, and I'm so mad at my self. I plan to do a TPC turbo at some point, and when I do, I guess I will replace the bottom bumper, but it will be all black, rather than the "Titanium" color spoiler that came with the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
K so I left the bodyshop yesterday with a quote of 550. They will replace the damaged trim for 87.00 and paint both of them body color and will also repaint the entire front bumper to get rid of the chips and nicks from road debris. I think I'm going to go this route. The flat black is still on my mind tho cause it would be a much cheaper fix and still might look sweet!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.