Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! Need help. I recently got my front bumper replaced and repainted (flat black). Today, in the sun, I noticed hundreds of small microscopic dots on the bumper. You can only see them in the sun. In the shade it looks fine. When the sun reflects on it, you can visibly see these dots. They aren’t chips - they are actually smaller than chips. What can this be? The paint job is a month old and it was done at the Porsche body shop. I have flat black paint not metallic paint.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hi Everyone! Need help. I recently got my front bumper replaced and repainted (flat black). Today, in the sun, I noticed hundreds of small microscopic dots on the bumper. You can only see them in the sun. In the shade it looks fine. When the sun reflects on it, you can visibly see these dots. They aren’t chips - they are actually smaller than chips. What can this be? The paint job is a month old and it was done at the Porsche body shop. I have flat black paint not metallic paint.
I think you mean Solid Black and not Flat... big difference. I would have the body shop check it out... Where do you live? If you live anywhere around snow it could be sand??? Not sure what it could be without seeing it. When you slide your hands on it, is it smooth or rough?

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Are they raised dots or small pits? If raised it can be from dust. Pits I think are called fisheye caused by water. The old dogs memory is going so I'm not sure about the name.

Dust contamination maybe can be polished out. Pits is a repaint.

Another possibility, though they'd likely be larger spots, is that polyurethane paints if not mixed precisely are hydroscopic. Water (rain) can break it down.

I'm assuming that the paint shop cautioned you on the usual don't wax, wash in the shade etc for, what is it, 90 days or thereabouts.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I live in the east coast. We did have a snow storm. I didnt drive it until the next day when the snow was obviously melted. There was salt all over it but how can that do that to paint? I wasn't hit with a truck salting the road. The paint is very smooth...not rough. It has been over a month since the bumper was replaced/painted. You can only see the specs/dots when the sun reflects on it. I havent wash it or waxed it. The dots seem like they are in the paint under the clear coat. Very odd...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I live in the east coast. We did have a snow storm. I didnt drive it until the next day when the snow was obviously melted. There was salt all over it but how can that do that to paint? I wasn't hit with a truck salting the road. The paint is very smooth...not rough. It has been over a month since the bumper was replaced/painted. You can only see the specs/dots when the sun reflects on it. I havent wash it or waxed it. The dots seem like they are in the paint under the clear coat. Very odd...
Huh... sounds more related to the paint job itself. Like earlier mentioned by Greywolf, more than likely contamination during the actual painting or baking process. I would show it to the body shop.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
+1 Show your paint shop.

I believe from sometime in the early '90s Porsche has used the typical base coat, clear coat process for even solid colors. So they could have messed up on the base coat, not noticed and then did a proper job of the clear coat.

It doesn't sound like anything you did if the surface is smooth. The paint takes a while to fully cure since they can't run the paint oven as hot as new build. The higher heat would play havoc with all the rubber, electronics and so forth. The reason for the caution typically given about not waxing etc.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
+2 Show your paint shop.

The longer you linger on this, the longer they have new excuses. This is not right.

+2 & 1/2 Show your paint shop. Make sure the Sun is out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sent them an email. You guys got me pumped! Will go on the 18th (day off) - whether there is sun or not. Even if the sun is not out, I have to imagine they have special lighting in the shop to look for these types of imperfections....I hope

·
Registered
532 Posts
Almost always contamination in clearcoat. Not something you caused.
Ocurred at body shop. Maybe able to repair with wheelbuffing and/or colorsanding.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The shop should have wet sanded all of this after their sprays and before laying down a clearcoat. Several times. Sounds like they might have done a suspect job of it. If you dont wet sand you will get millions of microscopic dust bunnies clinging to the paint unless the booth is cleaner than a surgery room. And even then youll probably wet sand anyway. Nothing is ever as precise and perfect at the factory paint booth.

Usually you can feel them but Im guessing you cant because of the clearcoat.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
Don't know about special lighting but plain old fluorescent tube lighting tends to show any imperfection in the paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts