Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Today while detailing my car noticed the headlight are peeling, I read that they come factory with a thin clear coat to avoid UV damage, any way to restore them? Can it be fixed or I am doomed to spend hundreds x2 for new ones?
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
View attachment 270625 View attachment 270626
Today while detailing my car noticed the headlight are peeling, I read that they come factory with a thin clear coat to avoid UV damage, any way to restore them? Can it be fixed or I am doomed to spend hundreds x2 for new ones?
Thank you in advance.
They say not to use any kind of PPF or headlight film such as Laminx as this causes the coating to further delaminate. I will say, I wish my headlights were as clear as yours. I have the cracking problem on both of mine, and it’s getting worse.

And FYI, try thousands not hundreds x2. Suncoast sells them for $1500 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Genesis

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
That is the beginning of the known Porsche headlight delamination issue. Its starts at the outer edges and then starts to spider crack/peel inward as it progresses. New headlights are far from "hundreds" of Dollars though. More like thousands to replace both. Many have had success having the lenses sanded to remove the bad coating and then progressively polished back out again

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is the beginning of the known Porsche headlight delamination issue. Its starts at the outer edges and then starts to spider crack/peel inward as it progresses. New headlights are far from "hundreds" of Dollars though. More like thousands to replace both. Many have had success having the lenses sanded to remove the bad coating and then progressively polished back out again

Thanks so much, any one knows is the sanding the headlights is a DIY or a pro job? thanks

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Ive seen discussions of it being done successfully both ways. It all depends on your specific skill level and comfort. Its like wet sanding a new auto paint job.

You start with a more coarse paper and then work your way finer over multiple applications until you reach the point that you switch to a resin glaze and then final polish compound with a buffer. Its probably not something someone with zero knowledge or skills/proper equipment should take on or else its just going to be a lot harder and way more time consuming that it should be, but again that really depends on whether you are the kind of person to try new challenges like this

Its like remodeling a bathroom or kitchen. Sometimes its best to just pay someone else with the proper skills to take on the task and get it done much quicker and properly if you dont already have some sort of experience or comfort in this arena

Yours is very minimal at this point. Ive seen some terribly bad examples so unless Its driving you crazy I would suggest you hold off on doing anything at this point. I dont think anyone would even notice at this point unless you pointed it out to them based on your images

Here is another option from a link that I saved long ago and forgot about. Its just a vinyl trim that looks factory like and covers the edges where the delamination tends to start.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive seen discussions of it being done successfully both ways. It all depends on your specific skill level and comfort. Its like wet sanding a new auto paint job.

You start with a more coarse paper and then work your way finer over multiple applications until you reach the point that you switch to a resin glaze and then final polish compound with a buffer. Its probably not something someone with zero knowledge or skills/proper equipment should take on or else its just going to be a lot harder and way more time consuming that it should be, but again that really depends on whether you are the kind of person to try new challenges like this

Its like remodeling a bathroom or kitchen. Sometimes its best to just pay someone else with the proper skills to take on the task and get it done much quicker and properly if you dont already have some sort of experience or comfort in this arena

Yours is very minimal at this point. Ive seen some terribly bad examples so unless Its driving you crazy I would suggest you hold off on doing anything at this point. I dont think anyone would even notice at this point unless you pointed it out to them based on your images

Here is another option from a link that I saved long ago and forgot about. Its just a vinyl trim that looks factory like and covers the edges where the delamination tends to start.

Thank you I found a good product from 3M will try to do that soon.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a crime to charge more than 1,000 USD for a headlight, A freacking headlight not even a pair, these cars are so overpriced hence their parts are overpriced as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please share if whatever this 3M solution is works for you. Im still lucky with my 2014 so far, but who knows what the future holds!
Sure I will it seems pretty simple
1. Mask around headlights
2. Sand down in steps the clear cloat
3. Wipe with UV protector

I will share once is done. I think is just a matter of time when all our 981 will need headlight repair is the nature of the material they use. Thank you for taking time to reply to me.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Since it's pretty easy to remove the entire headlight enclosure, I'd do that instead on masking it off. Besides not having to worry about paint damage, it would be easier to sand the outer edges of the lens.

Reactions: ICNU

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Yep, the headlights pop out like a cartridge so I would suggest just removing them from the car completely

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Great video! The issue with 981 and 991 is not yellowing from age, but actual cracking of the protective outer coating that must first be removed, but the process should still be similar other than possibly more work or coarser grit on the first phase before moving on to the finer sanding and polishing phases

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Sure I will it seems pretty simple
1. Mask around headlights
2. Sand down in steps the clear cloat
3. Wipe with UV protector

I will share once is done. I think is just a matter of time when all our 981 will need headlight repair is the nature of the material they use. Thank you for taking time to reply to me.
I’ve done several sets with the 3M kit 39008 but it doesn’t come with any kind of uv coating to put back on the plastic. I would suggest Meguiar’s kit G2970. Unfortunately for my Cayman, the headlights are actually cracking in random size cracks in random locations. No amount of sanding or applying any kind of uv protection is gonna help.

Reactions: Genesis

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great video! The issue with 981 and 991 is not yellowing from age, but actual cracking of the protective outer coating that must first be removed, but the process should still be similar other than possibly more work or coarser grit on the first phase before moving on to the finer sanding and polishing phases
Understood. I posted the video as it does a great job of detailing the polishing process.

Fortunately for me, my headlights were swapped out before I purchased the car.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The cracking I am experiencing on my car is not merely the coating but actual cracks in the plastic, and they

appear from the inside first. The first signs are very fine cracks you can’t feel with your fingernail from the outside till finally big enough that you can. See attached picture.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts