Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2008 Cayman S Design Edition, 17,000 miles, loaded-tiptronic, nav, backup camera, full leather power seats, PASM, 19" wheels, Bose, auto climate, dimming mirrors, xenons, heated seats.
$40,000. (Close to $80k when new). Will need 20,000 mile service soon. No warranty.

2011 Cayman S, 45,000 miles, PDK, power seats, auto climate, dimming mirrors, heated and ventilated seats, standard leather seats, standard 18" wheels, halogen headlights. 40,000 mile service was done about 6000 miles ago. $41,500. No warranty.

Both cars have impressive Carfax reports.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CPO? Your color choice? I would prefer the 2011 as 987.2 improvements including PDK...
I listed "no warranty" for both vehicles. Color is better for the 2011.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The consensus seems to be for the 2011, even though it's higher mileage (45,000).

What about buying the 2011 without a warranty? It had its 40,000 mile service about 6000 miles ago. Now, about 45,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you're looking at automatics, choose the 2011 PDK hands down. The miles would not scare me at all. Just ask for all maintenance records and be prepared to do additional services to keep it in top shape.

With either: get an independent PPI if possible, or get one done once you own it to identify any potential or previously undiscovered issues.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Porsches don't mind mileage. 45k on a 2011 is under 15k a year which is average for "normal" use. Chances are this was someone's daily, which is not a bad thing.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it appeared to be a DD.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The 08 is WAY overpriced, esp for a tip. 987.1s with tips do not have good residual value. Also, be sure it really is a Design Edition. I saw a non-Porsche dealer advertising a black Cayman as a DE and there's no way it was. DEs should have special designations, along with shadow stripes, and loads of options including Alcantara.

Reactions: hpowders

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The 08 is WAY overpriced, esp for a tip. 987.1s with tips do not have good residual value. Also, be sure it really is a Design Edition. I saw a non-Porsche dealer advertising a black Cayman as a DE and there's no way it was. DEs should have special designations, along with shadow stripes, and loads of options including Alcantara.
Well the 2008 is a genuine Cayman S Design Edition. 777 were produced which is why the price is higher than a usual CS 2008.

Yes. I drove it. The nicest, softest all leather I ever sat in. Alcantara steering wheel, etc. On the glove compartment is the serial number, exactly where it should be. Autocheck lists it as Design Edition. Definitely has the stripes too. Fully loaded with 19" wheels, PASM, touch screen, sat nav, rear camera, dimming mirrors, rain sensing washers, auto climate control, xenons, premium Bose.

It drove great. One of the best I've ever driven. I was dizzy walking away, but I can't make rational emotional decisions after a test drive.

I haven't driven the 2011 PDK Cayman S yet. It's a bit further away.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I agree that the 2008 is overpriced and that the 2011 is the no brainer answer.
Okay. The consensus is obvious. I just emailed for a test drive if the 2011 CS is still available.

What about the asking price of around $41,500? Too high? Just right?

·
Registered
895 Posts
IMO, the price is high simply based on mileage. Maybe there is wiggle room and if at a dealer, there certainly should be.

I know you can find a lower mileage CS at a lower price, but it will require patience.

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S. There is no such thing as an impressive Carfax due to the "...as reported to Carfax..." wording. :) Using "impressive" gives Carfax way too much credibility.

What about the asking price of around $41,500? Too high? Just right?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IMO, the price is high simply based on mileage. Maybe there is wiggle room and if at a dealer, there certainly should be.

I know you can find a lower mileage CS at a lower price, but it will require patience.

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S. There is no such thing as an impressive Carfax due to the "...as reported to Carfax..." wording. :) Using "impressive" gives Carfax way too much credibility.
Okay, thanks Eddie!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
3 years newer, PDK and updated interior & styling for <1k....??

however, options make a big difference and you need to decide which options are important to you.
if you havent found the right one for you, take your time and enjoy the search...bi xenons, right set of rims, seats - its mind boggling!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
3 years newer, PDK and updated interior & styling for <1k....??

however, options make a big difference and you need to decide which options are important to you.
if you havent found the right one for you, take your time and enjoy the search...bi xenons, right set of rims, seats - its mind boggling!
Thanks. It irks me that the 2011 has halogens, but then again I wouldn't be driving a lot at night anyway.

Your logic is convincing. Also, the 2011 had its 40k service 6000 miles ago. That in itself saves a big expense.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Get the 2011. No question.

I've owned both 987.1 and 987.2 cars (currently have a 2010 S) The 987.2 cars have so many improvements over the first gen cars. There's a reason why 98.2 cars go for a premium over 987.1 cars. (especially with PDK)

Design edition cars are nice and all, but the all the cosmetics can't cover up what's underneath. Get the more mechanically sound and faster car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts