Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sport Chrono Question?

Probably too much bourban tonight, but want to ask:

How is performance with SChrono (dismissing PSE, PASM, PTV) in Sport Chrono mode with PDK? I like the Launch feature, wondering about general driving performance in this mode! Close to being a waiter, but really want to hear about the benefits of PDK/Chrono!

:thanks:

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Re: SportsChrono Question?

What is "SportsChrono mode"?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

{google translator} sport plus {/google translator}

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts

Ah, OK. Well, to answer the OP's question, Sport Plus mode gives you faster gearshifts, maximally responsive throttle response, and when in auto mode gearshifts happen at redline. Not really appropriate for general daily driving, but whatever floats your boat...

·
Registered
956 Posts

Specifically for PDK, you will notice:

- Quicker gearshifts
- More pronounced throttle blips on downshifts

This applies to both manual and auto mode, but if you run PDK in auto and Sport Plus, all gearshifts will be at readline... Only suitable for the track.
I run in Sport Plus quite often, but I'm always shifting manually.

The other features of Sport Chrono of course applies to both PDK and MT.
Sport Plus makes the throttle more responsive, the car feels more "edgy".

I also noticiced that the exhaust note is more aggressive in Sport Plus, even with stock exhaust. Probably due to ECU mapping.
After having retrofitted PSE on my car, the difference when using Sport Plus is even greater!

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Mostly shifts in redline but not always.

When not pushed hard, it does shift at lower rpms.

However, it tends to be jerky for daily city driving or when not pushed hard enough.

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts

For me one of the main attractions to sport chrono is the dynamic transmission mounts. Throttle mapping is also a plus on track. Here's a list of sport chrono features from the porsche configurator:

Includes:
Dynamic Transmission Mounts
-Reduces transfer of vibration from the drive tain under normal driving while the dynamic adjustment of the mounts allows for improved stability under load transfer and during high-speed cornering maneuvers

Analog and digital stopwatch
-On top of dashboard

SPORT PLUS button
- On center console, affects throttle characteristics, PSM, PASM, PDCC, sport exhaust system, and PDLS (if equipped with these features), activates motorsport-derived gearshift strategy (for PDK)

Performance oriented shift assist display (manual transmission)
- In the instrument cluster

Launch Control (for PDK)

Additional steering wheel display (for PDK)
- For display of SPORT and SPORT PLUS mode as well as Launch control activation

·
Registered
20 Posts

Regarding the item :

"Performance oriented shift assist display (manual transmission)
- In the instrument cluster"

What is this? With a manual I believe the center gauge displays what gear is currently being used. Does this feature display what gear you SHOULD be in?

thanks.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts

Mileages vary but I didn't find it useful. Engine temp etc. a better use of the real estate IMO.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts

For me one of the main attractions to sport chrono is the dynamic transmission mounts. Throttle mapping is also a plus on track. Here's a list of sport chrono features from the porsche configurator:

Includes:
Dynamic Transmission Mounts
-Reduces transfer of vibration from the drive tain under normal driving while the dynamic adjustment of the mounts allows for improved stability under load transfer and during high-speed cornering maneuvers

Analog and digital stopwatch
-On top of dashboard

SPORT PLUS button
- On center console, affects throttle characteristics, PSM, PASM, PDCC, sport exhaust system, and PDLS (if equipped with these features), activates motorsport-derived gearshift strategy (for PDK)

Performance oriented shift assist display (manual transmission)
- In the instrument cluster

Launch Control (for PDK)

Additional steering wheel display (for PDK)
- For display of SPORT and SPORT PLUS mode as well as Launch control activation
Also faster gearshift times and relaxes PSM.

Plus all the additional PCM functionality like lap analysis and engine performance data for later review and dump to PC.

·
Registered
195 Posts

I also thought that I read somewhere that when you're in sport plus the nannies like traction control etc are dialed back even further.

·
Registered
140 Posts

My 2cents
I do not track my car but use SC all the time. Move PDK lever to the left, push sports plus button and go. Makes not having gobs of low end torque forgettable and puts the fun in blasting at green lights. Well worth it

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts

My 2cents
I do not track my car but use SC all the time. Move PDK lever to the left, push sports plus button and go. Makes not having gobs of low end torque forgettable and puts the fun in blasting at green lights. Well worth it
Heh...what kind of gas mileage are you getting? :)

·
Caymudgeon
710 Posts

Regarding the item :

"Performance oriented shift assist display (manual transmission)
- In the instrument cluster"

What is this? With a manual I believe the center gauge displays what gear is currently being used. Does this feature display what gear you SHOULD be in?

thanks.
I don't know for sure but I assume that it is indeed a display that shouts "SHIFT NOW!". I'll be disabling that ASAP after delivery.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sports Chrono with PDK

I've searched and realize there are threads on it but many focus on SC questions when buying a manual so don't beat me up for creating another SC post. I'm trying to decide on SC with my PDK order. I will never use launch control and doubt I'll be able to tell if the car has special trans mounts versus what comes on the base car. Is there any reason to select SC? Am I going to notice Sports Plus throttle tuning enough to spend nearly $2k? It seems like an option that if I didn't know it existed, I wouldn't care but looking for PDK owner with and without SC to give me some advice. Would I be able to tell the difference? I do like to drive in the mountains for fun but I don't expect to spend a lot of time on the track.

The car (for me) is pretty expensive and I'd rather use that money on other options if its not a big deal. That said, the driving experience is more important than anything else to me.

Thoughts.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Re: Sports Chrono with PDK

Since a 981 comes std with SC Sport, and your proclaimed driving, you'd be save with not adding SC Sport Plus.

But don't blame us if in the future you decide to explore the track. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts

I'd like to add an additional question for those responding to the original post: does the "throttle tuning" affect anything when the PDK is used in manual mode?

·
Registered
109 Posts

:) Well, I'm buying a Cayman instead of a Boxster for the extra stiffness and because I COULD take the car to the track later. And our driving in the mountains, while not track levels, can be fairly...um, fast and in the upper reaches of the performance envelope. So I guess SC is really needed for track work.

Since a 981 comes std with SC Sport, and your proclaimed driving, you'd be save with not adding SC Sport Plus.

But don't blame us if in the future you decide to explore the track. ;)

·
Registered
773 Posts

I've searched and realize there are threads on it but many focus on SC questions when buying a manual so don't beat me up for creating another SC post. I'm trying to decide on SC with my PDK order. I will never use launch control and doubt I'll be able to tell if the car has special trans mounts versus what comes on the base car. Is there any reason to select SC? Am I going to notice Sports Plus throttle tuning enough to spend nearly $2k? It seems like an option that if I didn't know it existed, I wouldn't care but looking for PDK owner with and without SC to give me some advice. Would I be able to tell the difference? I do like to drive in the mountains for fun but I don't expect to spend a lot of time on the track.

The car (for me) is pretty expensive and I'd rather use that money on other options if its not a big deal. That said, the driving experience is more important than anything else to me.

Thoughts.
Me?, if your not going to track the car, the SC is more of a detriment than a plus. It will be like riding a roller coaster in around town traffic. It's too much drama. Spend he money on sport exhaust. That's the one option Road and Track said is a must, the only one they said to get. I am pleased beyond belief that I checked that box at the last minute. Have fun

1 - 20 of 36 Posts