Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY 2013 7200 kms on the clock.

Pulled it out the garage and parked outside.

5 minutes later the car does not start.
The motor was turning but no firing up after 6 attempts.
No warnings on dash.

Called the Porsche on call technician.

When he arrived an hour later the car suddenly fired up. Murphy's law.

Drove to the dealership who ran diagnostics and were baffled.

I'm totally non technical and clueless.

What could have gone wrong?
I'm worried I may be stranded somewhere if it happens again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Well without diagnosing the car while it wouldn't start it is really hard to say. If the engine was cranking over then your start motor was working, battery cables attached, etc. but if the engine didn't fire then it either most likely wasn't getting fuel or wasn't getting spark, but without some sort of diagnosis while it had the problem it is impossible to say. If it didn't trip an error code then that's strange because the car thought everything was functioning correctly but obviously wasn't. Have the dealership document in your car's file that they ran tests and nothing showed up so that if it happens again you can continue to document the instances of it happening should you need to make a later claim. Keep fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. :)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Crank sensor???

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As per other forums the issue seems to be the crankshaft position sensor. Some had it replaced whilst others had a spacer fitted. Apparently Porsche is aware but has not issued a recall but there is a bulletin on it.
The issue is that the problem is intermittent and with no fault code and the impossibility of reproducing the symptom.
Hoping my local Porsche dealer will acknowledge all this from a layman.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What was the temperature outside when this problem occurred? I have a 981 and have been struggling with similar problems over the last year and a half since I took delivery of the vehicle in Jan 2014. Has happened to me a total of 6 times now. Car has been in the shop at the dealer 3 times and still no resolution. They've tried replacing the crankshaft position sensor, which didn't help. Now the problem is suspected to be with the low pressure fuel pump relay, which has been replaced, but has not resolved the problem.

It only occurs when it's cold outside, the car is driven a short distance, turned off, then attempted to start again within an hour or two. Problem resolved by leaving the car for 8ish hours, then it will always start up again.

There are at least 4-5 other 991 and 981 owners in this city that are experiencing the same problem, presumably due to cold weather. Your issue sounds similar - has it happened before?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What was the temperature outside when this problem occurred? I have a 981 and have been struggling with similar problems over the last year and a half since I took delivery of the vehicle in Jan 2014. Has happened to me a total of 6 times now. Car has been in the shop at the dealer 3 times and still no resolution. They've tried replacing the crankshaft position sensor, which didn't help. Now the problem is suspected to be with the low pressure fuel pump relay, which has been replaced, but has not resolved the problem.

It only occurs when it's cold outside, the car is driven a short distance, turned off, then attempted to start again within an hour or two. Problem resolved by leaving the car for 8ish hours, then it will always start up again.

There are at least 4-5 other 991 and 981 owners in this city that are experiencing the same problem, presumably due to cold weather. Your issue sounds similar - has it happened before?
Happened only once.
Drove the car out garage and then attempted the restart after 10 minutes.
Outside temp was 20 Celsius

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Based on what you say, it was flooded. I think this is classic behavior for a flooded engine. Most instances occur after a very brief start up to say pull the car out of the garage and then immediately shutting it off especially in cold weather.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Based on what you say, it was flooded. I think this is classic behavior for a flooded engine. Most instances occur after a very brief start up to say pull the car out of the garage and then immediately shutting it off especially in cold weather.
Possible and I'm hoping it is but....

Never managed to flood a car ever before. I wonder why it happened so easily with my first Porsche?
Also weather wasn't cold

·
Registered
182 Posts
This happened twice to my 2014 991 C4S with PDK. Drove the car for 5 mins, parked, a few minutes later I turned the key, the starter pulled hard, but no ignition. I had the car in for diagnosis, but they found nothing. All research I did seem to point to the crank sensor.

Edit: I should add that I never experienced this with any of my previous Porsche cars. Never. Ever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts