Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heart broken tonight after learning my wife scratched the right rear panel while backing the car into the garage!
Any input as to what and how this is going to get repaired.
I think i'm going to be sick.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
I'm sure she feels even worse than you right now so don't let her see you agitated!

Try using a mild polished on it like a P21s paint cleanser. Unless the paint has been removed (and it's hard to see in the photo), it could be just dirt and grime rubbed in from whatever she hit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i thought about ordering a polisher from Zaino. However I must admit I am a total novice when it comes to repairing things like this. I don't want to make it worse. Perhaps I should have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dealer informed me they don't do this kind of work.
Can someone recommend a good product, preferably from Zaino? The largest mark is actually the "other guys" paint. Then there are some additional grey scuff marks.
Is there some sort of kit to repair the paint damage myself?

·
Registered
239 Posts
A detail shop or body shop could give some advice.

To me, it seems like you have minimal scratching to the Cayman. I'd try some rubbing/polishing compound from an auto paint store or even a parts store and some nice, soft rags with a good helping of elbow grease. I'll bet it will be mostly good in a few minutes. I've used this technique successfully in the past - it can do wonders.

If you don't have experience with machine buffing, I'd shy away from that here. Practice that on the wife's car first! ;)

Good luck.

How long is your wife's driving privilege suspension? I'd recommend 30 days for a first offense... :hilarious:

·
Registered
205 Posts
And that is why my wife does not drive my cars...I love her, but I don't want to be pissed at her. Just the other day, she wanted to take my Hummer to work. Since I am selling it, I said OK. She had brought some shampoo to work for a lady and was bringing it home. Then on the way home she heard a clunk and came in the house missing the shampoo. She said she looked and didn't see it. Well...I found it...in the side door pocket spilled all over the place. Now, not only do I have a mess, but I am stuck cleaning it up. I am a bit over the top with my vehicles...but, that is my thing and I am OK with it. You should be able to buff it out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well this is a whole other topic, but i think i'm going to have to buy my wife a cayenne so she can leave my cayman alone! She has no interest in cars, but she has an interest in anything i have an interest in!! lol.
Anyhow, what about using Zaino PC with an orbital buffer? It is a mild abrasive supposedly used to remove minor scratches. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Don't go nuts with an orbital yet!

I'm not familiar with the Zanio, but if it's a polish, try applying by hand first.

Apply the polish on a microfiber towel or foam pad and gently begin rubbing.

I've had black autocross cone marks that I swear were embedded in the paint come out with some simple polish.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would first try a clay bar to get all the dirt or stuff off the defect, then you'll get a better idea whats damaged. Then try a PC (porter cable) with good polish and see if it helps decrease the appearance. Then if that fails you can try wet sanding it, but that is not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
And that is why my wife does not drive my cars...I love her, but I don't want to be pissed at her. Just the other day, she wanted to take my Hummer to work. Since I am selling it, I said OK. She had brought some shampoo to work for a lady and was bringing it home. Then on the way home she heard a clunk and came in the house missing the shampoo. She said she looked and didn't see it. Well...I found it...in the side door pocket spilled all over the place. Now, not only do I have a mess, but I am stuck cleaning it up. I am a bit over the top with my vehicles...but, that is my thing and I am OK with it. You should be able to buff it out.
When I had my Boxster my wife wanted to drive it. I reluctantly let her with the aviso careful of the speed bumps coming up, in the area where we live. When she got in and felt that rush that Porsche gives you and speed down the street. Well I saw the speed bump coming up and almost black out from the fear. Sure enough Scraaaaaape! Luckily it was ver mild scratches on the under side of the body. I bought my Cayman in 07 and she has not even attempted to ask to get behind the wheel again!!!

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
My wife does this kind of thing to her 2009 335i all the time, and I sometimes succeed in cleaning it up with the right product and lots of elbow grease; sometimes with an orbital polisher. Its not clear from the picture whether the paint has been removed or if it it just residue form the other car. There is no dent I assume.

I found that Zaino products are a bit too mild for this kind of thing. I use Meguiars products because that's what I can buy out here. I would do the following:

1. Calybar - if it succeeds, all you need to do is to follow with polish and wax.
2. Try Meguiar's SwirlX which is a relatively mild paint cleaner and swirl/scratch remover. If that doesn't work, go to 3.
3. Meguiar's ScratchX which is a more abrasive product. Still there, go to 4.
4. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound which is as aggressive as I would go.

I find that using an orbital machine with moderate speed and pressure with the right pad is quite safe and I use a Makita on my Cayman and my wife's 335i and I get very good results. Always start with the last aggressive method.

If you have scratches that have cut through the clear coat into the paint coat itself, you might need to repaint the panel.

Try going to the Meguiar's forum, they have very good content.

Hope that helps..

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I'm heart broken tonight after learning my wife scratched the right rear panel while backing the car into the garage!
Any input as to what and how this is going to get repaired.
I think i'm going to be sick.
It amazes me how many wives on this forum damage P-cars... There are some things in life a woman is good at & not so good at. :gossip:

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Well I saw the speed bump coming up and almost black out from the fear. Sure enough Scraaaaaape! Luckily it was ver mild scratches on the under side of the body. I bought my Cayman in 07 and she has not even attempted to ask to get behind the wheel again!!!
But it takes a mishap to reach this conclusion. I'll rather lay the law down from the outset.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
My wife was out driving her brand new Mercedes GLK with 20" AMG wheels when she "curbed" a wheel. :wall: I was pissed . . . but it's her car so what can I say? :eek:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am pleased to announce that some zaino paint cleaner with some hard scrubbing did the trick perfectly! Phew, thanks all for your advice.
Now, what to do with the wife......i think this is going to cost me a cayenne eventually....then she can keep her hands of my pride and joy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This leads me to another question. Why are insurance premiums usually lowers for female drivers? I think the general consences is that most women does not care about cars as men do so they are not as careful when driving which leads to more damages on the cars.

I also hear some ppl say that when buying a used car, it's better to by from a female driver. Personally, I would rather buy from a guy even tho the car may have been driven harder.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.