Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can’t make up my mind whether to get this or not as I see mixed reviews. A lot of reviews starting that Sport behaves like Sport + where the car just stays in the lowest gear when in Auto mode. Personally I don’t like stock Sport plus in auto mode but I love the quick shifts so I always drive Sport plus in manual mode.

Question I have is that other than changing the shift points to behave like Sport Plus in Sport mode are there any other noticeable benefits performance and driving wise? More specifically, does it respond faster, does it shift faster in all modes over stock? Did you love this mod and is it worth it?

Please state pros and cons if you had or currently have it on your car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have had this option since release, but you will need to be more specific in what exactly you are wanting. Sport + in auto mode on a stock car is for track use only. It will run each gear to redline and aggressively downshift. This mode is NOT appropriate for street use and this is normal, so the PDK tune is not going to help you here as there is nothing wrong with the way your car is behaving. You will need to manually shift as you are doing now in Sport + as most do, and that will not change with the Cobb PDK tune.

The Cobb tune is best for those that use the auto mode for either normal or Sport driving, as it will increase the shift points to a higher RPM rather than the grandma factory shifting from the factory which is designed for fuel economy. The stock setup in auto mode will have you in 5th gear at 15 MPH in a parking garage. It's not really going to do much for you if you are like many and manually shift at all time anyway where you are already control of the shift point. No, it does not make Sport mode run to redline in auto mode like Sport + does. You can see graphs of the shift points on the Cobb site to see the different shift point RPMs vs stock

It also adds a poor man's launch control for those that dont have the Sport Chrono option, so once again not going to help you if you already have the SC option to begin with or dont care or need to use it.. The shifts "might" be a little firmer than stock but not a huge difference IMO in Sport or Sport + vs stock where I drive 100% of the time

There is also a high torque mode which adds additional pressure the clutches for guys with 3.8 motor upgrades, but again for a specific purpose that most will not need

There is also a mode that will reverse the center console shifter so it operates like the GT3 so you pull back for upshifting instead of pushing forward like stock. Again, useless if you never use the console shifter or care about the direction. This mode also removes the downshift full throttle kick down feature which annoys many guys on the track, so again you will need to tell us in more detail exactly what you are wanting to change if anything and what you use your car for in order to give you any more specific advice based on your needs

To summarize for me:

1) I already have SC option
2) I always shift manually using paddles
3) I never use the center console shifter
4) I have a Cobb tuned stock 3.4 with headers so no need for high torque mode

If I had to do it again I wouldn't have purchased this option as it really doesnt do anything useful for me. YMMV

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have had this option since release, but you will need to be more specific in what exactly you are wanting. Sport + in auto mode on a stock car is for track use only. It will run each gear to redline and aggressively downshift. This mode is NOT appropriate for street use and this is normal, so the PDK tune is not going to help you here as there is nothing wrong with the way your car is behaving. You will need to manually shift as you are doing now in Sport + as most do, and that will not change with the Cobb PDK tune.

The Cobb tune is best for those that use the auto mode for either normal or Sport driving, as it will increase the shift points to a higher RPM rather than the grandma factory shifting from the factory which is designed for fuel economy. The stock setup in auto mode will have you is 5th gear at 15 MPH in a parking garage. It's not really going to do much for you if you are like many and manually shift at all time anyway where you are already control of the shift point. No, it does not make Sport mode run to redline in auto mode like Sport + does. You can see graphs of the shift points on the Cobb site to see the different shift point RPMs vs stock

It also adds a poor man's launch control for those that dont have the Sport Chrono option, so once again not going to help you if you already have the SC option to begin with or never use this feature. The shifts "might" be a little firmer than stock but not a huge difference IMO.

There is also a high torque mode which adds additional pressure the clutches for guys with 3.8 motor upgrades, but again for a specific purpose that most will not need

There is also a mode that will reverse the center console shifter so it operates like the GT3 so you pull back for upshifting instead of pushing forward like stock. This mode also removes the downshift full throttle kick down feature which annoys many gus on the track, so again you will need to tell us in more detail exactly what you are wanting to change in order to give you any more specific advice based on your needs
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply.To be more specific, I’ll first explain my driving style......
I never drive in normal mode. Never ever. I drive in Sport 90% of the time in auto but keep overriding with manual paddle shifts as and when I feel like doing mini spirited dashes while the lever stays in auto. But when I am doing backroad spirited driving I always use Sport plus in Manual. I never drive in auto mode when in Sport plus. Hate it.

I never use the heat shifter as I always use paddles so don’t care for the GT3 up down direction.

My car is a GTS so already has launch and sport plus.

Now onto what I was hoping it would give me.

- More responsive and sensitive to throttle input when moving from a stop or just rolling, less lag.

- Harder kick in the back of the seat when shifting 1-2, 2-3 like what it has in Sport plus now.

- Tire chirp shifting 1-2 more so because of a quick shift vs more HP. Ofcourse more hp would make that happen more easily.

People seem to rave about it and say it’s a must have. A lot of folks also praise the sequential shifting feature. So I am really not sure what to expect.

Based on above would you say it’s worth it? I am looking at paying $1k for a used one.

Thanks for the help again.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Thanks a lot for your detailed reply.To be more specific, I’ll first explain my driving style......
I never drive in normal mode. Never ever. I drive in Sport 90% of the time in auto but keep overriding with manual paddle shifts as and when I feel like doing mini spirited dashes while the lever stays in auto. But when I am doing backroad spirited driving I always use Sport plus in Manual. I never drive in auto mode when in Sport plus. Hate it.

My car is a GTS so already has launch and sport plus.

Now onto what I was hoping it would give me.

- More responsive and sensitive to throttle input when moving from a stop or just rolling, less lag.

- Harder kick in the back of the seat when shifting 1-2, 2-3 like what it has in Sport plus now.

- Tire chirp shifting 1-2 more so because of a quick shift vs more HP. Ofcourse more hp would make that happen more easily.

Based on above would you say it’s worth it? I am looking at paying $1k for a used one.

Thanks for the help again.
Throttle lag is no different. The PDK on these cars have a noticeable and annoying .2-.5 second dead stop throttle lag its seems with hard acceleration like you are letting the clutch out on a manual and this is normal as this is not like a typical auto tranny. There is no torque converter and no instant response. Its basically a manual tranny without a clutch pedal. I already had the device and bought the optional PDK tune because early on it was said it would cure this lag but its doesnt at all and I wasted my money. As stated you CANNOT drive on the street in Sport + in auto mode. Its track use only with or without the Cobb device

The PDK tune may be of no value if you rarely if ever use full auto mode and already have SC

The shift hardness when driving aggressively in manual mode "may" be a bit more firm than stock. I can walk the rear end of my car out a bit on the 1-2 shift, especially if the tires are still cold and running it it redline, but again it already hit pretty hard stock as there is what Porsche calls "torque boost" already programmed in on a stock PDK car

Only you will be able to decide if the investment is worth it. The Cobb device already comes with pre loaded off the shelf engine tunes which will help improve actual engine HP and performance, and it also serves as a diagnostic tool capable of reading and resetting many error codes on top of that. They also sell used for close to what they cost to begin with, so you have a good chance of recovering most if not all of your investment if you decide to dump it later, so there are other things to consider other than just the PDK tune on its own. Its a multipurpose device.

The discussion might be different if you already had one and were asking about paying for the optional PDK tune on its own which if I recall was about $600 at the time I bought it. This was after I already paid $1,200 for the device with the engine tunes. If this were the case I would suggest you pass based on your expectations, but 1K for the device with ECU tunes as well as the PDK tune is a great bargain if that is what you are being offered. You could easily sell it later for close if not all or more than you paid for it with the optional PDK tune. They typically sell for $800-900 or so used without the optional $600 PDK tune

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Throttle lag is no different. The PDK on these cars have a noticeable and annoying .2-.5 second lag its seems from a dead stop with hard acceleration like you are letting the clutch out on a manual and this is normal as this is not like a typical auto tranny. There is no torque converter and no instant response. Its basically a manual tranny without a clutch pedal. I bought the Cobb tune because early on it was said it would cure this lag but its doesnt at all and I wasted my money. As stated you CANNOT drive on the street in Sport + in auto mode. Its track use only with or without the Cobb device

Its a waste of money if you rarely if ever use full auto mode and already have SC

The shift hardness when driving aggressively in manual mode "may" be a bit more firm than stock. I can walk the rear end of my car out a bit on the 1-2 shift, especially if the tires are still cold and running it it redline, but again it already hit pretty hard stock as there is what Porsche calls "torque boost" already programmed in on a stock PDK car

Only you will be able to decide if the investment is worth it. The Cobb device already comes with pre loaded off the shelf engine tunes which will help improve actual engine HP and performance, and it also serves as a diagnostic tool capable of reading and resetting many error codes on top of that. They also sell used for close to what they cost to begin with, so you have a good chance of recovering most if not all of your investment if you decode to dump it later, so there are other things to consider other than just the PDK tune on its own. Its a multipurpose device.

The discussion might be different if you already had one and were asking about paying for the optional PDK tune on its own which if I recall was about $600 at the time I bought it. This was after I already paid $1,200 for the device with the engine tunes. 1K for the device with ECU tunes as well as the PDK tune is a great bargain if that is what you are being offered.
Yes. I negotiated to 1k so figured it might be worth trying for that much as I am mainly buying it for the engine tune.

Question for the engine tune..::my car has Soul catted headers and that’s it. Stage 2 OTS tune should be good enough or should I go for a pro tune as well?

Fabspeed mentioned a coupe of options - A protune based on my mods or a protune on a dyno (I am local).

Mainly looking for somemore power in street driving. Swapped the headers last week and the butt dyno doesn’t feel any difference over stock. Maybe because it’s a GTS?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yes. I negotiated to 1k so figured it might be worth trying for that much as I am mainly buying it for the engine tune.

Question for the engine tune..::my car has Soul catted headers and that’s it. Stage 2 OTS tune should be good enough or should I go for a pro tune as well?

Fabspeed mentioned a coupe of options - A protune based on my mods or a protune on a dyno (I am local).

Mainly looking for somemore power in street driving. Swapped the headers last week and the butt dyno doesn’t feel any difference over stock. Maybe because it’s a GTS?

Any thoughts?
Snatch it up based on what I know from you now. I have the Fabspeed Protune on mine as well as M&M headers with high flow cats from Germany and it was much more noticeable from stage 2 than stock vs stage 2 was, but I still noticed the stage 2 vs stock difference as well. Its very easy to get a Protune via email now without having to use a dyno by just sending them the logs from the Cobb device, and typically much cheaper. Headers with the Cobb Pro tune is one of the best bangs for the buck you will get on the these cars and is well documented and you will feel it.

Getting the PDK tune as well on top of it is just a big bonus for you so you cant go wrong for 1K for all of it. Don't waste your time or money on any larger TB or aftermarket plenums on the 981 as they are just snake oil gaining only 2-5 HP at best at redline and only after a Protune despite the anecdotal claims you may read. In many cases they will actually lose HP and torque when a dyno is done afterward on an otherwise stock car due to changes in the flow velocity and the empirical data just doesnt back up any of the gains that are claimed by those selling them. These engines are not air starved on the intake side, so the headers and Protune are are the real winners and are what are responsible for the gains you will feel

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome
Snatch it up based on what I know from you now. I have the Fabspeed Protune on mine as well as M&M high flow cats from Germany and it was much more noticeable from stage 2 than stock vs stage 2 was, but I still noticed the stage 2 vs stock difference as well. Its very easy to get a Protune via email now without having to use a dyno by just sending them the logs from the Cobb device, and typically much cheaper. Headers with the Cobb Pro tune is one of the best bangs for the buck you will get on the these cars and is well documented and you will feel it.

Getting the PDK tune as well on top of it is just a big bonus for you so you cant go wrong for 1K for all of it. Don't waste your time or money on any larger TB or aftermarket plenums on the 981 as they are just snake oil gaining only a couple HP at best and only at redline and only after a Protune. In many cases they will actually lose HP and torque when a dyno is done afterward on an otherwise stock car due to changes in the flow velocity. These engines are not air starved on the intake side, so the headers and Protune are are the real winners.
Awesome, thanks. I didn’t quite understand what you meant to say here...... “and it was much more noticeable from stage 2 than stock vs stage 2 was, but I still noticed the stage 2 vs stock difference as well”

can you clarify?

So to summarize you think I should get this and just buy the protune from Fabspeed based on the datalogs I email them? No need for dyno tune even though they are local?

Should I even bother loading the Stage 2 Cobb OTS tune initially?

Which of the 3 PDK tunes do you recommend? Sport or Agressibe? I think high Tq is ruled out.

If I don’t like the PDK tune is it 100% reversible to stock?

lot of questions. Much thanks.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Sorry if I wasnt clear. To clarify, I felt the difference between stock and the Cobb stage 2. I felt even more of a delta between the stage 2 and the Fabspeed Pro Tune, so yes I suggest a Pro tune. The OTS maps are better than stock, but are conservative and leave some power on the table for the Pro tuners..

I also considered a dyno Pro tune as I have a local Cobb Pro tuner near me, but the cost was considerably more (as in 4X times more) than what Fabspeed was offering remotely. The dyno guys said that an actual dyno tune may get a few more HP out of the car, but not a huge amount over the remote tune. I suggest you also consider the cost vs benefit based on the prices you are quoted

It takes only minutes to load the stage 2 even if you plan of getting some sort of Protune, so no harm in checking it out, but you could also just wait for the pro tune if that is what you prefer to do

I personally use the aggressive PDK map

You have two options if you dont like the PDK maps. Completely remove it and and go back to stock or there is also a Cobb "stock" like setting on there that will allow you to still have the Cobb map installed, but with a stock functionality without having to reinstall it completely. Its no big deal to remove or change maps. Takes ten minutes max

The Cobb device is serial number specific and can only be installed on one vehicle at a time, so complete removal is required in order to use it on another car or to sell the device to someone else

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry if I wasnt clear. To clarify, I felt the difference between stock and the Cobb stage 2. I felt even more of a delta between the stage 2 and the Fabspeed Pro Tune.

I also considered a dyno Pro tune as I have a local Cobb Pro tuner near me, but the cost was considerably more (as in 4X times more) than what Fabspeed was offering remotely. The dyno guys said that an actual dyno tune may get a few more HP out of the car, but not a huge amount over the remote tune. I suggest you also consider the cost vs benefit based on the prices you are quoted

It takes only minutes to load the stage 2 even if you plan of getting some sort of Protune, so no harm in checking it out, but you could also just wait for the pro tune if that is what you prefer to do

I personally use the aggressive PDK map

You have two options if you dont like the PDK maps. Completely remove it and and go back to stock or there is also a Cobb "stock" like setting on there that will allow you to still have the Cobb map installed, but with a stock functionality without having to reinstall it completely. Its no big deal to remove or change maps. Takes ten minutes max

The Cobb device is serial number specific and can only be installed on one vehicle at a time, so complete removal is required in order to use it on another car or to sell the device to someone else
Thanks. Just to clarify, the engine and pdk tunes are totally different? Correct? As in I can load both and then choose to just remove the PDK tune without affecting the engine tune?

Good to heat you could feel a substantial difference over stoxk and even more so from Cobb ots to protune. Am wondering if it could be less of a change felt since I have a GTS?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yes, that is correct. They are completely independent of each other as the PDK is an additional option. Yes, the delta between a GTS and S like I have will be different as you already have additional HP over a S to begin with. Most dynos show a best case scenario with headers and Protune whether from Cobb or other reputable tuning sources to get you in the 365-375HP range. There just isnt much more there on a NA engine without a turbo where tuning can make a huge HP difference over stock.

They guys at Dundon Motorsports have a custom intake plenum for the 981 that can actually makes use of a bigger TB by correcting for the flow velocity and resonance using a special tune for the Cobb device, but its mostly a gain way up at the top of the RPM at redline and has a slight loss of RPM and torque down in the normal street driving range, so maybe more suited for track driving. We are talking a couple grand for another 10HP or so all the way up at 7K, so only you know if that would be worth it or not. There just isnt much more to squeeze out of these NA engines and still maintain normal street driving reliability

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot. You’ve been a great help. I’ll report back with how it feels.

Cheers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have had this option since release, but you will need to be more specific in what exactly you are wanting. Sport + in auto mode on a stock car is for track use only. It will run each gear to redline and aggressively downshift. This mode is NOT appropriate for street use and this is normal,

If I had to do it again I wouldn't have purchased this option as it really doesnt do anything useful for me. YMMV
Not sure what your driving but my 718 does not necessarily run to redline in sport + mode. If you put your foot to the floor perhaps but otherwise it will upshift at around 4k. It is designed for track use but I have used it on some nice open twisting roads. Sport response on the other and will run the gears up to redline.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Mine is a 981 and definitely doesnt shift at 4K as I manually shift higher than that on my own anyway. It will also very aggressively downshift inappropriately for the street and make it undrivable in that scenario. Playing in the mountain twisties is a different story because I would typically be keeping the RPM up high to begin with and primarily gears 1-3 only, but this is not what I mean by "street driving". In other words, I doubt anyone is using Sport+ in full auto mode on their daily work commute unless their goal is to never get out of 3rd gear getting there, make as much noise as possible and get 9 miles to the gallon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine is a 981 and definitely doesnt shift at 4K as I manually shift higher than that on my own anyway. It will also very aggressively downshift inappropriately for the street and make it undrivable in that scenario unless your goal is to make as much noise as possible and get 9 miles to the gallon. Playing in the mountain twisties is a different story because I would typically be keeping the RPM up high to begin with and primarily gears 1-3 only, but this is not what I mean by "street driving". In other words, no one is using Sport+ in full auto mode on their daily work commute.
Agreed. Sport plus in auto even with the factory tune is useless. I hate it. I always drive in manual mode when in Sport Plus

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
And according to the Cobb site, it is only the normal and sport mode shift points in full auto that are adjusted higher in the RPM range with the PDK tune. This is where its needed as both of those are very anemic in auto mode from the factory for fuel economy ratings

·
Registered
213 Posts
Agreed. Sport plus in auto even with the factory tune is useless. I hate it. I always drive in manual mode when in Sport Plus
I happen to like it. Porsche has done a masterful job of creating an intelligent system to manage the shifting for this type of aggressive driving. Sport + not only increases revs but juices up the exhaust note, throttle response, transmission mounts and shift response. Manual shifting is fun as well, but the automatic is truly a miracle of modern automotive engineering. Interestingly enough, the first time I used the Sport + on some back roads I got pulled over. Didn't get a ticket, as I suspect the cop wanted to check out the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And according to the Cobb site, it is only the normal and sport mode shift points in full auto that are adjusted higher in the RPM range with the PDK tune. This is where its needed as both of those are very anemic in auto mode from the factory for fuel economy ratings
Is your messaging disabled? Tried to send you a message but doesn’t go through.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Is your messaging disabled? Tried to send you a message but doesn’t go through.
Who knows what's ever going on with this new site? Ive had a few PM conversations with a few other members in the past so it should be working, but I went into my settings and deactivated and then reactivated the conversation setting, so maybe its working now?

·
Registered
45 Posts
My 981S doesn't have sport+ or sport chrono. Before Cobb I always drove in sport mode because standard mode turned the car into a dog. I autocross my car so the stock PDKoperation of downshifting when you rapidly do pedal to the metal (manual or automatic mode) would effectively destroy a run by the extra time it generated.

The Cobb PDK was great for me. Standard mode is now great to drive, sport mode is great on a track (or in manual for autocross), the "launch control" has some value and there's no automatic downshift during autocross.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts