Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I’m new to the forum and new to Porsche’s. I’m from West Yorkshire, UK.

I was thinking of getting a Honda S2000 but now kind of looking at the Cayman S. I would like some advice and tips on:-

- Value? What are they work? Examples? Special/Limited Editions? Desirable most sought after colours?
- Which Shape/Cayman S to get? Gen 1 / Gen 2 ?
- What optional extras I should be looking for and what do they do?
- As well as this any common issues problems these cars have I should be looking for?
- Are the Engine belts chain or belt driven and how often do they need replacing?
- How often do these need servicing?

I have about £20k to spend. I love a proper driver’s cars and enjoy high spirited driving so I was thinking maybe the manual option would be the one to go for rather than PDK. Although PDK does probably have superfast gear changes? But manual would probably be more fun and I would have more control over the car?

Thanks.
T.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm not sure what the market is like in the UK. In the States £20K is around $25 USD. That would get you a higher mileage 987.1 S or a higher mileage 987.2 Base.

Seems black, silver and grey are a bit more desirable.
If you want a "proper driver's car" get a manual!
Once your research gets a bit deeper, you'll quickly learn about the IMS issue. Just do an "IMS" search and you'll have enough reading material to last you for a year! Find out when the battery was last replaced. Find one with maintenance records. Have a Porsche mechanic look it over before buying. I think there's a used Porsche buyer's guide somewhere on this forum. Hopefully someone can provide a link for you. Otherwise google is your friend.
Here's what I wanted: Cayman S, bi-xenon headlights, PASM, manual tranny, BOSE (not critical), leather.

You've come to the right place to start your research. Folks here are Porsche Gods (and Goddesses). Use the forum's search feature. You'll find all sorts of important info.

Find one with the steering wheel on the proper (left) side!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi T

I'm not too far away from you (near Clitheroe in Lancs) and I bought a Cayman about four months ago after doing much research and waiting for the right car to come along.
There are some very desirable limited editions such as the Gen 1 "R" and the GEN 2 "Black" edition ..... but you'll pay very handsomely for one of those. Better to go for a manual Cayman S but with a few desirable options. For me these should include Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) which basically includes switchable dampers, Sport Chrono package (part of which really sharpens up the throttle response), sports seats (slightly deeper bolsters and better leather), bi-xenon headlights, and 19" wheels. For me the sat nav option is worth having too. Sliver seems to be by far the most common colour for Caymans in the UK - and it does look pretty good. My own preferences for colour are red (which I have) and dark metallic blue - both of which are relatively rare.
My car has a switchable sports exhaust and the VERY rare carbon ceramic brakes and the sports bucket carbon fibre shell seats both of which you'll search very hard to find. The carbon brakes were a staggering £5k option when new and the seats £2.5k. The brakes are even more expensive to replace at about £4k per pair ...... but the discs and pads are supposed to be good for 100k miles (hopefully!).
The IMS issue has already been highlighted (engine main bearing seal) which was fixed for Gen 2 cars and its not a ridiculously expensive repair The premature bore wear on some Gen 1 cars will result in a costly engine rebuild ..... but its a comparatively rare fault. Look for lots of blue smoke on start up and the engine using lots of oil. If you find a car you really like you could go to the expense of having a boroscope inspection ... but if the engine is smooth and not smoky and the owner assures you it doesn't use oil it should be OK.
£20k should buy you a decent high spec Gen 1 car (although my 2008 Gen 1 was more due to its very high spec) ... or an early mid spec Gen 2 car.
Drop me an email at [email protected] for my number if you want to have a chat.

Good luck with the search ...... you won't regret it!

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have a 2014 Cayman S and a 2007 Honda S2K. The P is gray over black and loaded to the gils. The H is silver over red/black and stock. So I can tell you this; If I could only keep one, I would keep the Porsche if for no other reason than it is drop dead gorgeous, faster than I will ever need and can comfortably transport two people across country. Having said that the Honda is the most fun car I've ever driven in my 60+ years of driving. This is bugs in your teeth fun. For the kind of money you are talking about I would go with the Honda. The only Porsche in my mind that would compete with the Honda would have to be a 987.2 with DFI. I you go lesser than that it will be slower than the Honda. Also don't forget the maintenance. I just got a oil change on my Porsche at $240 USD. Same thing on my Honda was under $100. Ditto insurance, ditto gas. Stick with the Honda.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Hi guys,

I’m new to the forum and new to Porsche’s. I’m from West Yorkshire, UK.

I was thinking of getting a Honda S2000 but now kind of looking at the Cayman S. I would like some advice and tips on:-

- Value? What are they work? Examples? Special/Limited Editions? Desirable most sought after colours?
- Which Shape/Cayman S to get? Gen 1 / Gen 2 ?
- What optional extras I should be looking for and what do they do?
- As well as this any common issues problems these cars have I should be looking for?
- Are the Engine belts chain or belt driven and how often do they need replacing?
- How often do these need servicing?

I have about £20k to spend. I love a proper driver’s cars and enjoy high spirited driving so I was thinking maybe the manual option would be the one to go for rather than PDK. Although PDK does probably have superfast gear changes? But manual would probably be more fun and I would have more control over the car?

Thanks.
T.

The first question is - do you need a ragtop? If you do then you should be looking at Boxsters. If not, then the Cayman will be stiffer, with better roadholding (slightly) and no worries about the hood perishing or thieves slicing it open. Gen 2 is a significantly better car with a more-or-less bombproof engine, but you pay a premium for it. Similarly with the S - more fun to drive, but more expensive. The manual gearbox vs PDK question has been aired exhaustively in this forum. If you need to shave fractions off your lap time around a track then PDK will do it for you. It will cost more up front, though, and may (only may) have higher repair bills in the long term.
With a Gen 1 car the twin bogies of bore scoring and IMS bearing get raised in any discussion. I think it's fair to say that the problems have been overstated and you would be very unlucky to hit trouble. If you did, though, you would be looking at big bucks for an engine rebuild.

General advice:-
1. Look at somewhere like Pistonheads to see what you can get for your money here in the UK. Be suspicious of any car which seems to be a bargain.
2. Research in this forum to become more knowledgeable before you buy. Somewhere in the archives there is the answer to every question you could possibly think to ask.
3. Buy on condition and service history, rather than age or mileage.
4. For the price you are paying it is worth getting a professional inspection report.
5. The S2000 is a fine car, but there is something a bit special about a Porsche. I'm totally unbiased, of course!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a Cayman S 2009 Gen 2 with PDK and a few other extras. I paid extra to get a Porsche dealer supplied car, partly for the 2 year guarantee and to ensure that the car was in good condition, without any hidden problems. For instance, the car had new "N" rated Michelins, new brake rotors, new pads, immaculate wheels and paint. That takes you well over your £20k limit, however. But I wanted the new DFI engine and a 3.4l for possible track use. If I was not looking for particularly high performance yet super road car, a non S 987 with a manual box would do nicely, (and substantially drop the price). I would still avoid a Gen 1 car, although engine problems may be rare. The only experience I have of Honda is a Westfield with an S2000 engine. Excellent engine, but only really alive above 6000rpm. Would you often use such revs on the road?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts