Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife just called and says the CS will not start. Just clicks. Car is unlocked and had her pop the front boot so I will have access when I get back.

I know the battery is due for replacement and was wondering if someone could give me the size so I can buy one rather than drive the two hours to the car and make a separate trip.

Appreciate the help

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Walmart, Interstate, dealer, roadside, etc. Water will be low, etc

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just need the battery size. Car is in garage at home. I am about two hours away and just want to purchase a new battery before driving all the way home.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Eddie. Since its sunday and a long trip back and forth to the car I'll pick up what I can find. Is AGM a brand or a specification.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Absorbent Glass Matt battery. More expensive, but superior to conventional lead acid. Never need to be topped up and if its important can be mounted on their side.

I buy my batteries from Walmart, they are made by Johnson Controls. One of the few battery manufactures in the US. Most places that sell batteries, put their label on an OEM battery . Wally world batteries have been excellent in my experience, got them in all three cars, they come with a good warranty. Living in Arizona, as I do, batteries have shorter a life than cooler climates. Some will argue putting a 'cheap' battery in an expensive car goes against the grain.

Machog

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Absorbent Glass Matt battery. More expensive, but superior to conventional lead acid. Never need to be topped up.

Machog
Actually they do need to be topped off with that outside vent - vent implies water inside will evaporate and needs to be vented. Found that out when I removed the sticker on top and looked at the water level therein. Now people in my local club have taken that advice and checked their's. Another dealer even admitted that servicing the battery is a way to preserve life on them.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Actually they do need to be topped off with that outside vent - vent implies water inside will evaporate and needs to be vented. Found that out when I removed the sticker on top and looked at the water level therein. Now people in my local club have taken that advice and checked their's. Another dealer even admitted that servicing the battery is a way to preserve life on them.
AGM are sealed; not only can you not top them off, if you tried, you'd ruin them.

Machog: AGM are better than gel cell in pretty much ever measurable way but they're sensitive to heat and baking in the hot sun under a hood all day all summer will literally take years off their expected life- that's why in industry, AGM are used almost exclusively in air conditioned rooms, and wet cell in unconditioned applications. Wet cell batteries are a lot more heat tolerant, but also more expensive and require topping off. AGM are also a lot safer to handle and won't spill acid everywhere when they break, hence why we see AGM almost exclusively in auto parts stores. But the "best" starter batteries are wet cells. FWIW, I use the Wal-Mart AGMs, too, so eh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts