Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is off topic, but I would appreciate your collective wisdom.

Ready to place my Cayman S order this week, and my primary car (1998 M3 4 door/5 speed) suddenly has major mechanical failure. I have to replace it now, and put off the Cayman. I ride about 400 miles a week, would prefer awd or 4wd, and need a car that has speed and handling.

Drove the Cayenne S today. Impressive. Doesn't feel like an SUV. But only comes in automatic. Still, that would be OK. At least it sort of rhymes with Cayman S.

Driving the S4 and the 530xi tomorrow.

Any thoughts on these cars or other suggestions would be appreciated.

I am really disappointed by this. However, it has been a pleasure following the threads on this site. I hope you all enjoy your Caymans, and maybe I can join you in 2-3 years. Who knows what the specs will be by then!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
So, why not a Cayman S right now?we would be happy to locate one that you could purchase. You could use a loaner or a rental, if needed, for a couple of days. My BMW dealer , however, just sent me an e-mail indicating that they have three 2005 M3 convertibles available at thousands of dollars off sticker. I can forward that e-mail if you are interested.

Edited by - mpollard on 01/28/2006 7:31:49 PM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is I have two teenage kids to transport regularly, and with the M3 gone, I really need an everyday car. I have thought about a new M3 (one kid can jump in the back), but in New York it probably is a good idea to have one awd vehicle. But I did put all seasons on my M3, and it handeld well in the snow since. Maybe a new M3 is the answer.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
If you like Cayenne, and it meets your needs, then now should be a good time to get one. Sales have been slow, so the dealer should be open to your low offer, plus selection should be good. How is the gas mileage?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gas mileage is lousy (14/18). Luckily I do mostly highway driving. And yes, the dealer is offering good discounts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am leaning towards the Cayenne. It would be my first Porsche. The S4 does look good on paper, though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
<div>Going from a 98 M3 to an S4 you will feel a BIG difference. I would say a new M3 is far more fun to drive than the S4 however the S4 is AWD, 4doors and has a bunch of power. If you don't want an SUV then I would say the S4, the 530 will seem big and bloated and not fast compared to the S4. </div>
<div></div>
<div>Good luck.</div>

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
If you are considering an Audi, then I might steer you back to a BMW. Audi's still don't have the telepathic steering that a Porsche or BMW does. If it is straight line performance you are after, then you might also consider an M-B C55.

Edited by - mpollard on 01/28/2006 8:30:25 PM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had never considered an MB. Maybe I'll take a look. I have had a number of Audis and BMWs over the years, and have always enjoyed the BMWs best. I also like their motorcycles (I've had a couple of those.) My favorite Audi was the old V8 Quattro. It took a while to get up to speed, but once it did, it ran on rails even at 100+ for extended periods.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flyer-

Thanks. I was afraid the 530 would seem a little too big. The Cayenne S was bigger than I am used too, but handled beautifully. Unlike the Cayman S which I had to keep below 4000 RPM when I test drove it (and even then was great), the dealer told me to floor the Cayenne S, which I did, on a nice winding road. Even though the engine was in front, it had a great sound. My girlfriend was sitting in the backseat, and I heard her gasp for air a few times. I think that was a good sign.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If I lived in NY and have 2 kids to tool around, I'd seriousely consider the Subaru WRX Sports Wagon. It is no slouch in the perfromance area as well.

Rally-tested engine/tranny, AWD, lots of room, cheap enough to park anywhere, manual tranny, quite a car.

CP

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have thought about that vehicle over the years. I guess I just love weiss beer, schnitzel, wurst, and German cars.

·
Registered
405 Posts
<div>MB's are all automatics! If you want German AND a sports car other than an M3 I still say drive the S4. I agree that the S4 compared to the E46 M3's are a little pedestrian but they are quick cars and it seems to have what your looking for, unless you get yourself an older used M3 4dr.</div>
<div></div>
<div></div>

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have 110,000 miles on my 1998 4dr, 5 speed M3. Major problem developed, and now I must replace it. Too bad the E46 M3 doesn't come in 4 door. I have heard rumors that another 4dr is in the future.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sounds to me like RS4 might be for you - I think they will be out by June or maybe a bit early - will drive circles around many cars ( Cayman for sure, 911 C2S maybe ) - one serious car. The situation you find yourself is not fun - having to make a fast decision makes car purchasing much less enjoyable they it should be - in any case good luck !!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts