Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

Help! Question about Brake Service

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  3G3T7I 
You can check the rotor thickness with a micrometer. For S model the min thickness is 26mm. Or just check the edge- is there a noticeable lip? I generally get 2 sets of pads to a set of rotors and that is for track use. The rotors are tossed due to cracking not thickness. On a 987 pads are super easy to replace- unless you have problems with the dampers (see the recent thread on this). Rotors are not hard to replace just a little more involved. Hardest part for me is always re-installing the brake line bracket. If the sensors have not tripped and if you are careful removing them they can often be re-used. In my experience indies and dealers will always replace them and charge a marked up cost for them.

So if my rotors aren't cracked I don't need new ones? Sorry if that's a dumb question.
Cracking is not common with street use, the temps don't get nearly as high. Sorry if my point wasn't clear- I wear out 2 sets of pads and the rotor thickness is still within spec (> 26mm thickness). The first simple check is just look through the wheel spokes and feel the rotor edge- is there a noticeable lip there? Also is there pronounced grooving of the rotors? If there is a sizeable lip or they are badly grooved, it may be worthwhile to replace. If you can, post a pic and we may be able to judge better.

added photo of a worn out rotor. "Lip" is > 1mm, so total thickness is <26mm. Hope that helps

Attachments

I added a photo of mine in the original post. Sure looks like it's time for the rotors to be replaced... lol
Indeed looks like you have a lip on the edge. The original thickness is 28mm, so if you have just a 1mm lip on the outside you likely have the same on the inside and that would put you at the min spec.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.