Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

My car was being stored for about 5 months while I was gone and during that time, the rear view mirror assembly fell off the windshield. Thanks to a 6speedonline article, I was able to remove the mirror from the bracket, but being a Porsche, it's got to be different and thus difficult to repair.

I took it to a dealer to see if they could repair it. They told me their glass guy does. Going through their glass guy, he said he probably wasn't able to do anything. I took it to Safelite and they said that they couldn't fix it, and the part that separated comes with the windshield when new.

Basically, there is a pot metal ring that was adhered to the glass with some rubberized adhesive. This is the adhesive I've been trying to track down. The dealer had no clue and the glass guy and Safelite said they only have the common mirror glues they sell at a parts store.

Has anyone run into this before or know where I can get ahold of this adhesive? The nearest Porsche dealer is 3+ hours away, so it takes a lot of coordination to make it happen, and based on my experience today, might not be worth it. If I can't find it, I may have to start experimenting :( On the plus side, the dealer did have the clear little adhesive tab that goes over the rain sensor - $27.

The photos are of the arm with the ring attached, without, and the ring itself with some of the adhesive cut away.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, I now have the same problem. How did you solve this?
Ok so here's what I did after coming up with nothing from every source around: Black Permatex RTV adhesive.

Take a razor blade and windex and clean off any residue from the original install. Use blue painters tape and tape a flat area on a cutting board. Place the pot metal piece (flat side down) on the tape and cut an outline. Remove the inner piece you cut and discard. Take the remaining tape and carefully position it on the inside of the windshield so the hole is aligned with where the metal piece is. Smooth everything down. Lay a towel over your dash underneath just in case. Apply black RTV to the metal ring and position on the windshield. Hold in place for about a minute or two. I did this by myself, so if you have a spare set of hands it will be much easier. Take blue tape and tape the hell out of the metal piece to the windshield. Leave the car alone for awhile. I think I gave mine 2 days in the garage (in Arizona in the summer) just to be sure. Make sure to crack the windows to avoid storing up any fumes. Afterwards, remove the tape, trim any excess RTV off (especially in the middle) and make sure it's on there good. Now take your replacement rain sensor cover (the clear adhesive thing - which, btw, is the same as the Audi part ... The Audi one was a fraction of the cost of the Porsche one, go figure.) and apply it to the mirror assembly. Take the mirror and push it on to the ring. It takes a fair amount of force to snap on. I can't remember if there's a screw holding the mirror together or not. Voila!

Big thing - make sure you position the ring right side up. The repair is still holding up (as far as I know - sold the car in spring 2014). But even if it fails again, a tube of black RTV and a rain sensor sticker are a lot cheaper than a new windshield.

Sorry if the formatting is jacked up, I'm posting from my phone w/o tapatalk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks av8bpilot. Following your instructions I have the metal ring adhered to my windshield using Permatex Black Adhesive Sealant, covered with tape and curing. I'll try to track down the rain sensor adhesive next. Hopefully it holds up as well as yours did. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok so here's what I did after coming up with nothing from every source around: Black Permatex RTV adhesive.

Take a razor blade and windex and clean off any residue from the original install. Use blue painters tape and tape a flat area on a cutting board. Place the pot metal piece (flat side down) on the tape and cut an outline. Remove the inner piece you cut and discard. Take the remaining tape and carefully position it on the inside of the windshield so the hole is aligned with where the metal piece is. Smooth everything down. Lay a towel over your dash underneath just in case. Apply black RTV to the metal ring and position on the windshield. Hold in place for about a minute or two. I did this by myself, so if you have a spare set of hands it will be much easier. Take blue tape and tape the hell out of the metal piece to the windshield. Leave the car alone for awhile. I think I gave mine 2 days in the garage (in Arizona in the summer) just to be sure. Make sure to crack the windows to avoid storing up any fumes. Afterwards, remove the tape, trim any excess RTV off (especially in the middle) and make sure it's on there good. Now take your replacement rain sensor cover (the clear adhesive thing - which, btw, is the same as the Audi part ... The Audi one was a fraction of the cost of the Porsche one, go figure.) and apply it to the mirror assembly. Take the mirror and push it on to the ring. It takes a fair amount of force to snap on. I can't remember if there's a screw holding the mirror together or not. Voila!

Big thing - make sure you position the ring right side up. The repair is still holding up (as far as I know - sold the car in spring 2014). But even if it fails again, a tube of black RTV and a rain sensor sticker are a lot cheaper than a new windshield.

I want to thank you for taking the time to post this rearview mirror fix post. After a trip to two autoglass shops, O'Reilly's Auto, and the local Porsche dealer service manager, all I was told is that I must replace the windshield to re-hang the mirror. I said "that's not going to happen" as I exited. So I tried the Black Permatex fix and it works, and works well. You sir are appreciated for your research and your being willing to spend some time to help your fellow Porsche owners. I submitted a tip on one of the forum discussions that saved an owner a lot of heartache and probably funds, so this is a classic case of what goes around comes around. One interesting side event to the mirror story. My airbag warning light has been on recently and it appeared the only option to a fix was going to cost me money. I noticed this seemed to happen at about the same time as when I removed (and unplugged) the mirror. I asked the Porsche Service Manager if they could some way be related. He said absolutely not. Well, once I re-mounted the mirror and plugged it in, the airbag light magically disappeared. He was wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts

My 991 rear view mirror just came apart from the windshield. The mirror is fine, but the factory installed piece glued (adhesive) to the windshield has failed. Porsche says the entire windshield must be replaced.
I saw your post today and I'm willing to try a self repair.
When you write about taking a razor blade to remove residue from the original factory install, are you speaking of the windshield area glass or a piece of the mirror assembly where it attaches to the windshield?
I don't have it a part yet, so additional guidance is helpful. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Maybe someone who's actually done this will eventually get back to you. In the meantime this is one of those jobs where prep is everything. You'll want to remove old glue residue from any parts you're reusing, windshield or mirror.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Basically this. If memory serves, there wasn't really any residual glue on the mirror assembly itself. All of the glue seemed to remain on the glass. That's where the razor blade came in handy. Reach out if you have any other questions. It was a while ago, but I still remember the repair. I'll dig around to see if I still have the pictures, since it looks like they're gone from the site.

edit - no go on the pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts