Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, now just maybe I've found the best place to post this (finally). :)

So I've had my money in for a while and my dealer says it is time to order. Should have a November build with arrival in the states on Jan 15.

My background: I've been driving competitively for three years now. All three of it I have been competing in Solo2 nationally (two years in a CS Toyota Spyder and one year in a CS Miata, but I've also done a few events in an AS STi and a CSP Spyder). I also have a Spec Miata and have done a good bit of road racing in it. Have seat time at VIR, CMP, and Road Atlanta (love endurance racing...did the 8 hour at VIR two years ago, the 13 hour at VIR last year, and this year am teaming up with Brian Smith and Jason Saini in the 13 hour). Street cars I've owned include a 996TT, E46 M3 Convertible, M-Roadster, and I currently have several Miatas, an STi, and an '87 911.

Anyway, I want a pretty much no compromises Cayman. I will likely at least do some DEs in it and will definitely autocross it at least *some*, even if it doesn't end up competitively classed. High performance, low weight. So, here's my list:

G1 Guards Red

AN Black Standard Leather

AP Black Sport Seats

P77 Leather Sport Seats

XSX Seat Belts - Guards Red

(I'm sure these weigh the same as black.)

450 PCCB

475 PASM

498 Delete Model Designation

573 Automatic Climate Control

580 Rear Luggage Partition

(This is removable, right?)

P74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package

XCZ Sport Shifter

XRP 5mm Wheel Spacers

435 Sport Steering Wheel

Questions I have are:

Are the Bi-Xenons much heavier than normal headlights?

Is automatic climate control worth the extra weight? It can't be more than a couple pounds, I would guess (if that).

Wheels...18's are the best option since there isn't much race rubber (if any) for 19's (at least not DOT R-comps). There are two options there...the C7S and the 987S. Anyone know the specs? Curious about weight and dimensions.

I'm also curious why four 5mm wheel spacers are $490. There better be something more there than four flat disks with holes in them.

Any input is appreciated.

--Donnie

·
Registered
394 Posts
Spacers are exactly what you said there unfortunately. :( But why would you want them if you are trying to reduce weight, especially unsprung weight? I would just go for an OZ Chrono Magnesium wheels for your competition use. Seen a lot of them on GT3's in track days I attend, so I assume they would have sizes for Cayman too. You can get a wider track this way, fatter tyres, and lighter weight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You will not be able to have option 580 (rear luggage partition) as Porsche are not accepting this option in the order process.

Brian

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spacers are legal for SCCA stock class autocross up to 1/4' thick (well, offset is allowed to be extended up to 1/4' from stock, anyway). The reason to have them is that if I were to race it, I'd most likely use the street tires on OEM rims as the rain tire, and spacers would help a little in the event I needed to use them. For competition use, the extra width that spacers gives you helps with the handling more than enough to compensate for their weight.

But if they're $490 for some flat disks, well, I'll just have some made. 5mm is short of 1/4' by over a mm, anyway.

Thanks for the heads up on the luggage partition, too. I'll remove that.

I am planning on getting some aftermarket lightweight wheels for race rubber, and if I do that I will likely be able to get something that maximizes legal offset. Anyone know what the stock offset is on those two different sets of wheels? Or dimensions? Curious if there is any width difference.

--Donnie

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Anyway, I want a pretty much no compromises Cayman. I will likely at least do some DEs in it and will definitely autocross it at least *some*, even if it doesn't end up competitively classed. High performance, low weight. So, here's my list:

G1 Guards Red

AN Black Standard Leather

AP Black Sport Seats

P77 Leather Sport Seats

XSX Seat Belts - Guards Red

(I'm sure these weigh the same as black.)

450 PCCB

475 PASM

498 Delete Model Designation

573 Automatic Climate Control

580 Rear Luggage Partition

(This is removable, right?)

P74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package

XCZ Sport Shifter

XRP 5mm Wheel Spacers

435 Sport Steering Wheel

Auto Climate control isn't going to add any weight, it is just electronics, but it does add cost and frankly I don't find it worth it as I find myself placing the car in ECO mode to shut off the A/C compressor most of the time for better performance.

Someone else already covered the rear luggage partition.

Questions I have are:

Are the Bi-Xenons much heavier than normal headlights?

Is automatic climate control worth the extra weight? It can't be more than a couple pounds, I would guess (if that).

The Xenon bulbs weigh less than the standard bulbs but Xenons have the ballasts that halogens do not, I suspect as you that any weight difference is minimal while night vision is greatly improved. I chose this option, although I think Porsche should make it standard...

Wheels...18's are the best option since there isn't much race rubber (if any) for 19's (at least not DOT R-comps). There are two options there...the C7S and the 987S. Anyone know the specs? Curious about weight and dimensions.

Weights of the cars or the wheels? I'm a bit confused with what you are asking. I concur about lack of R comps for 19's another reason I am sticking with 18's this time.

I'm also curious why four 5mm wheel spacers are $490. There better be something more there than four flat disks with holes in them.

Any input is appreciated.

--Donnie

As someone else pointed out you could probably get these cheaper elsewhere. I wish I could stomach the cost of PCCB's, but I am holding out hoping that I can retrofit after a few years at a lower cost.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Auto Climate control isn't going to add any weight, it is just electronics, but it does add cost and frankly I don't find it worth it as I find myself placing the car in ECO mode to shut off the A/C compressor most of the time for better performance.

Well, I generally really like having climate control (even the STi 'auto' mode is good), so if it is just electronics, I'm gonna get it.

The Xenon bulbs weigh less than the standard bulbs but Xenons have the ballasts that halogens do not, I suspect as you that any weight difference is minimal while night vision is greatly improved. I chose this option, although I think Porsche should make it standard...

That's sort of what I was thinking.

<blockquote id="quote">quote:<hr noshade="" id="quote" height="1"/>

<hr noshade="" id="quote" height="1"/></blockquote>

Weights of the cars or the wheels? I'm a bit confused with what you are asking. I concur about lack of R comps for 19's another reason I am sticking with 18's this time.

Wheel weight. Obviously lighter wheels are better, and I was just wondering if there was any significant difference between those two sets.

While I have the administrator online, any reason why the cursor keys don't work in the text edit box? I'm using Firefox 1.04 on Linux. I have to move the cursor with the mouse.

--Donnie

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I would think that with the Cayman, as with the 997S, a 20mm lower suspension would be more 'trackable' than the PASM, and would be a good combination with the standard 18' C7S wheels (which I prefer over the others available).

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Donnie,

That is a FireFox bug, it's been known for awhile, don't know when they are going to fix it. Also we will be implementing an updated version of the editor here soon, just busy working on some other projects at the moment. I suspect either the new editor or a FireFox fix will fix the key problem.

DaveC,

There are already lowering springs available for the Boxster S with PASM so you can get lower than the 10mm that PASM provides. TechArt has a set out, and H&R is bringing a set out. I'm sure we'll see something for the Cayman as well.

·
Registered
381 Posts
As for the Automatic climate control, you might want to go mess around with the new Boxster to see if you like it. The Auto mode in my 996 results in too much cold air applied to the top vents (defroster vents) in the summer and condensation forms on the the outside of the glass. The easy fix is of course take chose the vent location, but this deactivates the 'auto' mode. The problem/bug also effects the 986. I have do not have any experience with the 987 or the 997 to see if has been addressed. If not make sure you still like the way the 'auto' function works. I have had 6-7 cars with auto climate control and never experienced this problem except in Boxster and now my 996.

Also many magazines are reporting (and I think it is the case with 987) that in Europe there is a 'sport suspension' option that comes with different shocks and springs that lower the car 20 mm without all the weight and fanciness of PASM. I would think you would be able to import it much like you can the ROW M030 suspensions for the 993, 987 and 996. This may be a better solution for your than the compleicated PASM.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the if the import suspension isn't on the order sheet in the US then it isn't legal for stock class autocross, which would be a problem for me. I don't really want to take the car to street prepared (working on a Miata for that anyway), so I'd rather stay stock. For that you are allowed whatever the US order sheet allows and shocks are open (but not springs). Oh, front sway bar is open, too.

Thanks for the update on the editor bug. Thought that might be the case. Oh well.

--Donnie

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those playing along at home, here's the likely final order:

<tt>G1 Guards Red</tt>

<tt>AN Black Standard Leather</tt>

<tt>AP Black Sport Seats</tt>

<tt>M6A Black Mats - Porsche Lettering</tt>

<tt>P77 Leather Sport Seats</tt>

<tt>XSX Seat Belts - Guards Red</tt>

<tt>450 PCCB</tt>

<tt>475 PASM</tt>

<tt>498 Delete Model Designation</tt>

<tt>573 Automatic Climate Control</tt>

<tt>P74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package</tt>

<tt>XCZ Sport Shifter</tt>

<tt>460Sport Steering Wheel Lthr</tt>

--Donnie

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Just FYI......They will most likely kick out the Sport Shifter........the configurator kicked it out on mine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you tell me why I want the Sport Chrono? I haven't seen any good info on it other than it's a manually operated lap timer. I'm thinking there's more to it than that.

--Donnie

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nevermind, I found info that says it allows for a more aggressive throttle response mode as well as turns down the traction control sensitivity somewhat. Interesting that we have to put up with the wart to get that. *sigh* Oh well, I have added it to my order.

Looks like it's gonna sticker at $74,040 for that, assuming I can even get the sport shifter. It's really gonna piss me off if that causes a huge delay.

--Donnie

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
Donnie,

If it helps the standard shifter in the Cayman has shorter throws than the Boxster S, so you might try that out and see what you think, honestly I find the shifter in the Boxster S just fine and a huge improvement over the earlier 986 version. I wouldn't hold up a car waiting on the sport shifter especially since you can purchase that later and add it later.

Thanks,

·
Registered
394 Posts
I wonder if the sport shifter onthe Cayman will be the same as a Boxster S with sport shifter? Or will the throw be shorter again? Anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I had assumed that the standard shifter on the Cayman would be the same as on the Boxster S.......haven't read anything to make me believe otherwise......but could be wrong. I had the chance to try the standard vs. sport versions back to back. The sport is definitely better IMO, and I will add it to my Cayman after it arrives.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts