Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2006 cayman S with sound package plus (no bose) with CDR24. Now I want to install a 2 din Kenwood dnx9260bt (european version of dnx9960). How easy is it the installation?
I have seen instructions from euromotorspeed in another thread for a car with bose where the job looks complicated.
I would like to make the softer kind of installation because my car is still under porsche warranty and so in case of problems (like engine etc.) I want to put back the CDR24 and bring car to porsche dealer using the worranty. For this reason I would like to avoid to rewire and try to modify the original staff the less it is possible, avoiding all not necessary connections of new navi (like to headlights, reverse gear signal etc). I have bought the 2 din bezel and installation kit from euromotorspeed on ebay. Is it possible to connect easily power and sound to the kenwood with none or small mofications? Do I can use some adapter to connect easely cable that now go to cdr24 to the kenwood? Does the sound package plus is amplificated ?? if yes and if amplificator is inside cdr24 do I need to put a new amplification system or does kenwood can make all work fine? Thanks very much and every advice is welcome.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My Cayman came with only the base stereo. I recently had a Pioneer AVIC unit put in with the Euromotorspeed bezel. I think you are worrying unnecessarily. Euromotorspeed sends you a wiring harness that plugs into the back of the radio (they even ask you what kind of radio you are using). No modifications were necessary. While it is true a couple of wires need to go to the back of the car, this does not require "modifications," the installer just temporarily removes a couple of trim panels, runs the wires, then plugs in the lines. If that is too much, buy a CANBUS. My entire installation took the installer about 6 hours but that included installing rear speakers for me. If not for the rear speakers, it would have taken much less time because ALL the trim panels have to come out in order to fit the rear speakers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but is there any difference in installation between base stereo and sound package plus?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does someone have any experience about it?
Does the space on the back of cdr24 is deep? I see new dnx9260 is deeper than 9240....

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
There is good room behind the head-unit. My problem with the Pioneer Z110-BT was all the harness adapters and dongles for all the extra stuff I didn't need. Made it kind of tight. But with careful arrangement, it all fit.

The Pioneer HU chassis is (WxHxD) 7" x 3-7/8" x 6-1/2". Compare that to yours. Should give you an idea on the fit.

As to your original question - I have the base speakers (4) so I can't help with the Sound Plus. Should have been covered many times here, so search.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The CD-24 with sound package No Bose has a 9 speaker setup:

The CD-24 drives the below six speakers with it's internal amplifier

Dashboard:
2x 19-mm/ 0.7 in. tweeters
Door:
2x 100-mm/ 3.9 in. mid-range loud-speakers
Rear side:
2x 100-mm/ 3.9 in. mid-range loud-speakers

External Amp: (2x70w + 1x40w): (The ASK AMP is located in front storage compartment just behind the tire repair kit/air compressor)
Door:
2x 200-mm/ 7.9 in. low-range loud-speakers
Dashboard:
1x 70-mm/ 2.8 in. mid-range loud-speaker (center speaker)

The above was originally posted bay another cayman owner.

Search for "sound package plus " as there is a lot of good information on what other cayman owners have done to upgrade from the CD-24 to after market radio using the sound package plus setup.

link from a member that installed an aftermarket radio with sound package plus setup.
http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-electronics/40889-sound-package-plus-upgrade.html

Good Luck Hope this helps, i am also considering swapping out my CD-24 and have the sound package setup. I have been reading through numerous threads to collect information before i pull the trigger. I have taken my radio out and it is a fairly easy job to remove but have heard the kit your ordered from euro makes the installation even easier.

Post some pics when your'e done!

Rob:burnout:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts