Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to look for wheels for my Cayman for the spring. Seems there are lots but many have wider rims and different offsets. A set I am looking at are as follows:

Front 19 x 8.5 Offset 47
Rear 19x10 Offset 56

My current stock wheels:

Front 18x8 Offset 57
Rear 18x9 Offset 43

I am not sure I really understand how Offset really works and so am not sure if these wheels will be closer to the fender, tighter into the car or exactly as the current wheel is today? You have to take into consideration that the wheel is wider and the offset may potentially counter the increase right? How will I know if I need any type of spacer or not?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Click on my wheel/tire/offset/gearing calculator I just made a few posts below, here is a direct link: Tire and wheel calculator with engine rpm and offset information

The front will move out. The rear will move in. If you play with the input field "wheel spacer", you'll need a 20-25mm spacer in the rear to keep the same inside spacing which is pretty big. I don't know how much clearance there is on the inside or outside, you have to check it yourself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...this is helpful.

The front will probably be OK....the rear is what I am concerned about but it seems that lots of guys on the site have put on 11" rears without problems so I thought a 10" would be fine.

Does anybody know how much clearance there is between the wheel / tire and the suspension with the stock 265 in the back? The guy I am talking to says a 7MM spacer in rear would work ... a big difference from the 20 22MM recommended by that conversion table though. Not sure how close I would be.

Anybody gone with this type of set up before?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
If the off-set is correct, you can fit 10 - 11" wheels in the back without issues. However, it really depends on the off-set on the wheels you're looking at. So, that's why (depending on the wheel & offset), spacers you need vary (from your 7mm to 22mm). The calculators should be pretty close.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. So does anybody know the minimum clearance between the suspension and wheel/tire in the stock set up (18" wheel 265 tire)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts