Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondering if anyone might know what the problem with my CS is...

Recently my 07 CS with 30K miles on it started developing a dry howling noise around 2000 - 3200 rpm. It sounds like its coming from the intake side of the engine. The oil reads at 3/4 full and the last change was done by a dealership about 10K mi ago. Nothing has been done to it recently.

I am wondering if maybe the air filter needs changing or something of that sort or if should just take it into a dealer. I was hoping it would go away after a day or two to no avail.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Todd

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Your car has such low mileage, but when a wheel bearing starts to go, it may make a similar sound. Does it change in tone with increasing speed/rpm?

·
Registered
806 Posts
First and foremost, take it to a dealer. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Take it to a dealer.

Like Pete says, dry howling noises could be a bearing going bad. If it is a bearing, it won't take long to go from bad to worse. You want to get it replaced before it completely fails. Given the location you mention, intake side of the engine, I wonder if maybe one of the serpentine belt pulleys is going bad. You don't want a wheel bearing or belt pulley bearing to suddenly lock up completely. It could also be a power steering pump or alternator (which of those is on the intake side?). Same for these: you don't want your alternator to suddenly lock up or cook itself due to friction.

It is quite possible that this noise is just a worn belt or something simple (does it go away when the car warms up?). On the other hand, it could be something more serious. Get it fixed before it fails completely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I'll take it iin. Thanks for the help.

Also, I mis-typed in my previous entry, it only really shows up from 3000-3200 rpm.

I'll let you know what the verdict is.

Thanks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Can you reproduce it at a stand still? E.g. rev the engine to 3000-3200 while not moving? If it occurs when not moving, then it is engine related. If not, it is running gear related.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They said it was the idler pulley. I'm supposed to pick it up today, so we'll see.

Thanks for all the guidance and help.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Glad it was something simple and found before something really broke!

Thanks for reporting back.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yes - thanks for reporting back. Sometimes you never hear what the actual issue was.

An idler pulley is not something you want to seize up on you. Glad you got it fixed before that happened!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So they replaced the idler pulley and the water pump that they said was a bit on the loud side. They also insulated an area of the RR cabin that I had briefly mentioned was rattling a bit. Good people; problems solved. and they provided a loaner.

Thanks to:
Circle Porsche -Long Beach
Alberto and Doug took good care of me.

Todd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts