Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright for all those who have replaced the factory plenum on their Caymans with the IPD Plenim, I need your help. But understand I am not replacing my Plenum but I am trying to take it off as part of my engine painting.

I followed the step by step PDF guide provided by one of our forum members and have completely dislodged the plenum. But there is one last hose connected---the hydraulic hose that controls the flapper. It is one of two hoses underneath the the plenum. It is the last hose you detach. For the life of me I cannot get it detached. The guide says do not cut it, but just keep pulling on it. Another forum member wrote where he broke the hose off in its housing and I attach a picture. I do not want to do this because i am reinstalling the stock plenum

Can someone please give me advice on what they did to unfasten this hose? I cannot get mine to budge.

Remember the picture I am attaching is not my situation, as my hose is not broken off. I just wanted to post a picture so you guys can know what hose I am talking about

A forum member wrote: "But i found out that I broke the hydraulic hose that control the flapper." And then he posted the following picture. I am trying to avoid this!!!!

Please help

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
It's actually a rubber vacuum hose. Removal is like always. Pull, twist, cuss, try pushing the end with a screwdriver, cuss some more, slip something between the hose and barb etc. These things are just a slip fit but if the rubber has been on a while it really sticks. If all else fails you can slit the hose over the hose barb to remove and then cut off the slit part. Should be enough slack to accommodate.

The other thing you could try is disconnect the hose at the vacuum solenoid that control the flap. Just follow the hose. IIRC it's clipped to the right hand intake manifold. Once it's free you might have better luck removing from the plenum for painting.

What you don't want to do is break the hose barb. The hose itself you can get at AutoZone or whatever.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Les:

All I want to do is remove the Plenum from the car. I can paint what i need with the hose still attached if that is possible. What you wrote intrigued me. For a neophyte could you provide a little more guidance, as i do not need to actually pull the hose out to paint. I just need to get the plenum in the house to paint. IN a very simplistic explanation, is there a way I can dislodge the hose from another end. I know you laid that out but I do not know what the "vacuum solenoid that controls the flap" or the "IIRC that's clipped to the right hand intake manifold." Could you direct me on how to dislodge the plenum at these points because I have given up on trying to pull the house out from its plug

"The other thing you could try is disconnect the hose at the vacuum solenoid that control the flap. Just follow the hose. IIRC it's clipped to the right hand intake manifold."

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Just wrap a finger or two around the hose and follow it to it's other end under the intake manifold. It should be a short run that ends with a little round plastic valve with a connector for this hose, the vacuum supply hose and an electrical connector. The part your removing connects to the two intake manifolds. There are three branches that run down and connect to the cylinder head. The round plastic solenoid valve is clipped to a strip that goes between these branches. You might have better luck removing the hose from there. The valve just lifts up. I don't think it has the shroud around the hose barb to make removal more challenging.

I think this plenum flapper run to the passenger side intake on the right. There's also a temperature pickup on that one. Think it controls the engine compartment fan. You don't want that. It only has an electrical connector.

Sorry if it's not clear. I'm working from memory. I wasn't smart enough to drag and drop a photo on iPad. I'll try later if you don't get it. Really it should be easy to follow the hose. It's only got a run of a foot give or take. I didn't have any trouble reaching it when I did the SRP install.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Alright for all those who have replaced the factory plenum on their Caymans with the IPD Plenim, I need your help. But understand I am not replacing my Plenum but I am trying to take it off as part of my engine painting.

I followed the step by step PDF guide provided by one of our forum members and have completely dislodged the plenum. But there is one last hose connected---the hydraulic hose that controls the flapper. It is one of two hoses underneath the the plenum. It is the last hose you detach. For the life of me I cannot get it detached. The guide says do not cut it, but just keep pulling on it. Another forum member wrote where he broke the hose off in its housing and I attach a picture. I do not want to do this because i am reinstalling the stock plenum

Can someone please give me advice on what they did to unfasten this hose? I cannot get mine to budge.

Remember the picture I am attaching is not my situation, as my hose is not broken off. I just wanted to post a picture so you guys can know what hose I am talking about

A forum member wrote: "But i found out that I broke the hydraulic hose that control the flapper." And then he posted the following picture. I am trying to avoid this!!!!

Please help
You might try heating the hose with a hair dryer to expand the rubber it should be easier to remove.

Cman21

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cman21:

I will try the hair dryer heat gun first before trying Les method of removing from i=underneath the manifold. which somewhat frightens me.

I mean, I do not understand---how did all you guys get the darn hose off!!!--You had to in order to replace your plenum?

You might try heating the hose with a hair dryer to expand the rubber it should be easier to remove.

Cman21

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
It's been long enough that I'm not 100% but in my case anyway I think the hose is still attached to the plenum up in the attic. I know I disconnected the hose from the valve and capped the valve as opposed to plugging the hose and leaving it dangling under the intake.

I've attached two photos. Unfortunately one won't show. Don't know why thought I tried reloading it. The solenoid valve is the one visible on the intake just to the left of the black cap on the coolant tank. It should lift straight up and off.

You should be able to reach that far under to feed it back through. Otherwise you'll need a pull string. As long as you don't go disconnecting things at random this shouldn't be any scarier than what you've already disassembled.

DSCN0419.jpg

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
When I swapped the stock plenum with the IPD unit I remember getting the hoses off with a set of needle nose pliers and a lot of muscle. Try grabbing and using the length of the pliers as a lever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts