Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm helping my boss get his first Porsche. He's narrowed his search down to Carmine Red Targa 4 GTS or Carmine Red 911 GTS Cab. Luckily for him there's one of each at local dealers. I have no idea what type of discount can be expected. I'm assuming not much on the Targa and nothing close to the discount I got on my Cayman S.

Anyone want to chime in?

Also, I told him if he truly wants this color it might be tough unless he orders and if they have allocation. I told him to jump on one of these as quick as possible.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Both are fine cars, beautiful, powerkit cars. Both will be slower than the equivalent coupes.

Love the Targa, just slower. Some people worry about the complexity of the mechanics and how much to repair out of warranty. IMO, not an issue. Targa might get less a discount, Cabrio probably easier to get a discount.

Carmine is not a problem at all. Its the standard GTS color across all the models. It just cost more, that's all. The dealer has them because the car is advertised in that color, just like you see many 981GTS or Cayenne GTS cars in Carmine.

With 991.2 announcement in Frankfurt, MY16 cars will be the last of the NA breed. They are desirable and I think prized, as the turbos proliferate, among the people heavy into the brand,

Good luck. Lucky guy. Personally, I'd take the Targa. At that price point, nobody cares about how fast the cars are. If they want to go faster, they buy a TT Cabrio.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Have to say I like the new targa, it's a classic look. Had the opportunity to drive one on the PCNA Atlanta test track- very nice car. Would be my pick for a grand touring Porsche.

Reactions: Arch

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both are fine cars, beautiful, powerkit cars. Both will be slower than the equivalent coupes.

Love the Targa, just slower. Some people worry about the complexity of the mechanics and how much to repair out of warranty. IMO, not an issue. Targa might get less a discount, Cabrio probably easier to get a discount.

Carmine is not a problem at all. Its the standard GTS color across all the models. It just cost more, that's all. The dealer has them because the car is advertised in that color, just like you see many 981GTS or Cayenne GTS cars in Carmine.

With 991.2 announcement in Frankfurt, MY16 cars will be the last of the NA breed. They are desirable and I think prized, as the turbos proliferate, among the people heavy into the brand,

Good luck. Lucky guy. Personally, I'd take the Targa. At that price point, nobody cares about how fast the cars are. If they want to go faster, they buy a TT Cabrio.
Thanks for the help. I'll definitely pass along the info.

We went to go see the Cab unit and it was sweet. The CR with black wheels, top and bits just went so well together. The SA let us start it up and he instructed us to give it some hard sharp revs with the PSE on. My boss was blown away with the exhaust note. I was too. I know we were in a parking structure but it was pretty loud and mean.

Actually, the Targa unit is listed as a MY16. Originally, I was thinking he'd need to make a decision now on a MY15 since I was expecting MY16 as being the turbo 6.

Yeah, he doesn't care what about the different in speed. He's just trying to figure out Targa or Cab.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have to say I like the new targa, it's a classic look. Had the opportunity to drive one on the PCNA Atlanta test track- very nice car. Would be my pick for a grand touring Porsche.
GT type car fits him to a T. Can't go wrong either way in my opinion.

I got to drive the Targa 4S at PWRS and the power/torque was impressive. I know he'll love it.

Originally, he had an ED order on a 4S Cab when I ordered my car but due to the dealership dropping the ball and the date getting pushed into almost winter time, he cancelled his order out of frustration.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Porsche makes all kinds of stunning-looking vehicles. The 911 Cab, any 911 Cab - especially with the top down - isn't one of them IMO. The 991 Cab has a bit more fluid lines than previous versions, but parked next to a Coupe a Cab just isn't as sexy. The new Targa is a bit gimmicky, but looks pretty good. I vote for the Targa.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Porsche makes all kinds of stunning-looking vehicles. The 911 Cab, any 911 Cab - especially with the top down - isn't one of them IMO. The 991 Cab has a bit more fluid lines than previous versions, but parked next to a Coupe a Cab just isn't as sexy. The new Targa is a bit gimmicky, but looks pretty good. I vote for the Targa.
Interesting you bring that up, there was a GTS Coupe next to the GTS Cab and he was noticing the green house lines of the coupe accentuate the wide butt. Only problem, he's set on Cab or Targa.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have a 991 coupe but would pick the Targa over the Cab - it just looks better to me.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ultimately, your boss has to decide.
But if it is his money....100% 911 Targa!
Very unique, looks great (got to see one in person a while back)
More for showing off than fastest lap time...nothing wrong with that!
IMG_3125_zps886ab650.JPG IMG_3127_zps587655f9.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Take a look at this month's Excellence magazine. It features a section on all the GTS models.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I chose the cab and did ED last month. I am in love. I drive top down as much as possible. I tested both and the Targa was a bit more noisy than the cab, even more so with wind-break deployed in the cab. I would suggest your boss drive both. It very personal and I don't think there any right or wrong answers. If it is all about looks for him, I agree the coupe is best looking to me. If you want to help, make all the arrangements and have the cars ready for him to test drive back to back.

Check out my ED experiance here.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I chose the cab and did ED last month. I am in love. I drive top down as much as possible. I tested both and the Targa was a bit more noisy than the cab, even more so with wind-break deployed in the cab. I would suggest your boss drive both. It very personal and I don't think there any right or wrong answers. If it is all about looks for him, I agree the coupe is best looking to me. If you want to help, make all the arrangements and have the cars ready for him to test drive back to back.

Check out my ED experiance here.
Yup, that's exactly what I did for him on his recent MB S550 purchase. Found the unit, set-up test drives, spell out all the features/options, all the price negotiations, paper work emailed prior to hand-over, etc. All he had to do was basically go there with his check and pick-up the car. Major hang-up for him was when the finance guy held him hostage for over an hour by trying to sell him all the prepaid maintenance plans, on the verge of walking out since the guy couldn't take no for answer. That was the sore spot. Other than that, easy breezy for him.

Nice ED write-up. That's what he had originally planned last year with his ordered unit but to make a long story short, he missed his window as the ED date had potential weather issues so late into the year. Resulted in a cancelled order.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He's getting antsy and confused. Called me up earlier today, "I should just go right now and buy the Carmine Red GTS Cab, right?" Just now, I came down from his office, "I think I want the Targa GTS."

Oh boy...haha!

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
My boss was blown away with the exhaust note. I was too. I know we were in a parking structure but it was pretty loud and mean.

Actually, the Targa unit is listed as a MY16. Originally, I was thinking he'd need to make a decision now on a MY15 since I was expecting MY16 as being the turbo 6.

Yeah, he doesn't care what about the different in speed. He's just trying to figure out Targa or Cab.
MY16 will be a split year, supposedly, between 991.1 and 991.2 cars, just like 2012 was a split year between 997.2 and 991.2 cars. He's got maybe to the late fall to get delivery. I've read US 991.2 cars to start arriving around Jan but who knows.

Don't get confused between cold starts or revving in neutral in a tunnel or underground garage. Cold start is great but goes away. Tunnels have unrealistic echos. The real sound comes at WOT up to redline. Then you hear the wail (of course not like a GT3).

Based on what you said ... I agree with most everyone else. Targa all the way. The convenience of both a coupe and cabrio with a push of the buttom. And I'm partial to targas :) Its like once you've had one, you want another.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Check out the blind spots, roof up: I don't know about the 991, but the Boxster has terrible blind spots, the 914 Targa has no blind spots.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
TARGA!!!! It's my favorite 911. I think it looks even better than the coupe.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MY16 will be a split year, supposedly, between 991.1 and 991.2 cars, just like 2012 was a split year between 997.2 and 991.2 cars. He's got maybe to the late fall to get delivery. I've read US 991.2 cars to start arriving around Jan but who knows.

Don't get confused between cold starts or revving in neutral in a tunnel or underground garage. Cold start is great but goes away. Tunnels have unrealistic echos. The real sound comes at WOT up to redline. Then you hear the wail (of course not like a GT3).

Based on what you said ... I agree with most everyone else. Targa all the way. The convenience of both a coupe and cabrio with a push of the buttom. And I'm partial to targas :) Its like once you've had one, you want another.
Good point about the cold start exhaust note and being in a parking structure. I told him just that, wait til you get the revs north of 5k and it starts to wail. I told him that's when it becomes truly addicting.

Check out the blind spots, roof up: I don't know about the 991, but the Boxster has terrible blind spots, the 914 Targa has no blind spots.
TARGA!!!! It's my favorite 911. I think it looks even better than the coupe.
Almost all are suggesting the Targa. Good to know. Let's see what he says after he sees it this weekend.

Discount sucks but at least it's not MSRP.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
I'd choose the Targa, hands down, simply for its more rare and unique.

I've seen the Targa in both white and CR. OMG, I'd pick the gorgeous white in a heart beat... and this is coming from one who doesn't favor whites. The silver line on white made it very grand.

The cabriolet would require a ducktail IMO to pull it off with its long tub. And still won't look as unique as the Targa.

However, the other day in a club event one guy said that after long years of moving from a Targa to another, he gave up. He complained from the rattle the roof develops over time and never goes away.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yup, that's exactly what I did for him on his recent MB S550 purchase. Found the unit, set-up test drives, spell out all the features/options, all the price negotiations, paper work emailed prior to hand-over, etc. All he had to do was basically go there with his check and pick-up the car. Major hang-up for him was when the finance guy held him hostage for over an hour by trying to sell him all the prepaid maintenance plans, on the verge of walking out since the guy couldn't take no for answer. That was the sore spot. Other than that, easy breezy for him.

Nice ED write-up. That's what he had originally planned last year with his ordered unit but to make a long story short, he missed his window as the ED date had potential weather issues so late into the year. Resulted in a cancelled order.
Love the targa!

Pardon me but your boss sounds like a real douchebag.
Surprised you haven't quit your job yet.

He is like those road rage types. Gets irritated with normal day to day life's challenges and scenarios.

Do you also pick up his morning coffee? And does he get mad and throws it back to you if it's cold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Or perhaps he has a great relationship with his boss and these type of gestures helps him progress in his personal career

While I agree it seems a bit clerical to be doing these type of things, if it is a company with less than 100 people you definitely have a different kind of relationship with your boss and these type of things go a long way.

Not sure how you were able to ascertain all those other qualities about the man from this thread.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts