Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Cayman and Boxster are derivatives of the old 914 and 914-6 and you could take those cars and run them hard. Now they make an overpriced cousin of the same general concept (mid-engine) and want you to pay $65K for it. GIVE ME A BRAKE
They make them to be garage queens and if you want to run them they taKe your warranty away......Porsche is a not very reputable company as far as I am concerned. :(

·
Registered
543 Posts
The Cayman and Boxster are derivatives of the old 914 and 914-6 and you could take those cars and run them hard. Now they make an overpriced cousin of the same general concept (mid-engine) and want you to pay $65K for it. GIVE ME A BRAKE
They make them to be garage queens and if you want to run them they taKe your warranty away......Porsche is a not very reputable company as far as I am concerned. :(
Then why do you own one?

And why are you here?

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Weren't you once quoted as saying "All vehicles have their quirks, but as long as a Cayman goes like stink, handles like it's on rails, and stops quick, I will be satisfied" ? If price is an issue then don't buy a new car, buy a used one, or buy something else. Who said Porsche makes cars to be garage queens? Some people keep their Porsches that way, others drive the snot out of them. Porsche doesn't arbitrarily disclaim warranty work either, I'm not saying some dealers don't try to get away with some things, but that's true for other makes as well. The Cayman and Boxster share nothing with the old 914's and most 914's I know of have long since rusted away unless someone stripped them down and put a bunch of money into them to keep them alive, most were cut up and turned into lightweight autox machines because they are a good fit for that. The Cayman has more in common with the 904/906 I'd say. :) As far as I can tell the Cayman goes like stink, it handles better than being on rails, and stops faster that the gel inside of most people's craniums so I'd think you'd be satisfied. Is the hunt for a car not going well?

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Bionichicken "Here is my beef".Now thats funny. Give me a BREAK. Why would someone post at an all Porsche site about how crappy they think Porsche is? It is a global company and i'm sure as is inherit in many a large corporation compromises are made.Sometimes at the cost of ostresizing a few.I'm sorry that you feel this way about a car that imo is one of the best fun all around sports cars built in decades.I hope that you find a vehicle that fills your needs or if like me and you have a passion for the automobile and racing in general that you find something that floats your boat.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the warranty today!

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
To paraphrase Churchill: "It has been said that Porsche cars are the worst form of the automobile except all the others that have been tried." You gotta love 'em if you have any appreciation for the car as an art form and a pure physical experience! (BTW, this is the second time I've seen the words break and brake confused. Don't nobody know how to speel no more?)

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I don't know your age, but I was alive when the 914 was in the Porsche-Audi showrooms and I can tell you that they were not well received by people who considered the 911 the only true Porsche. It was more expensive than its competition, which was far more diverse back then (Triumph, MG, Jensen-Healey, Lotus, Saab, Opel, and Fiat come to mind), and most thought the 914was push-pull ugly. The 914-6 was a sales flop because you get into a 911T for not a lot more money. As far as warranty, it was 12months or 12K miles, and if the dealer didn't have the parts needed they had to come from Germany via Montvale, New Jersey, the VW import office. That typically took several weeks. There were no loaners in those days, and they never washed your car after they serviced it. Yes, the 914 has become a "cult classic" but it took 25+ years and a lot of rust removal before it happened.;)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Learn to spell and we'll take you seriously. It's BREAK not BRAKE. The first one cuts you some slack the second one stops you. Or maybe you did use the correct word after all.:banana:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
OK, I've got to comment. The guy spells a word wrong, makes a not quite accurate comparison between the 914 and the Cayman, but his basic point is correct. The Cayman is not a robust DE/track car out of the box. Don't we all acknowledge that that is true?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
So then we need a Cayman GT3 or RS then? The Cayman may not be ready to race, but it's damn close and cost very little to make it that way! The new A91 engine has ended the reign of terror of IMS and RMS failures of the M96/7 engines. It took way too long, but Porsche seems to be on track now. I feel really lucky and privileged to have entered into Porsche ownership at this time in its history.

·
Registered
372 Posts
OK, I've got to comment. The guy spells a word wrong, makes a not quite accurate comparison between the 914 and the Cayman, but his basic point is correct. The Cayman is not a robust DE/track car out of the box. Don't we all acknowledge that that is true?
Yeah you are correct but no one here is asseting that the car is anything more than what it is.

·
Northeast Caymans
478 Posts
If I felt the way he does about his car I'd sell it immediately. Why keep a car that pisses you off, and causes you angst? The minute I stop "really liking" my cars I get rid of them. This is why I haven't had a car for more than 3 years. My cayman might be the first to break the 3 year barrier (if I don't get a 4s first!).

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
Your beef is at Wendy's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, some of you are right? I did have a real bad day yesterday and I might have taken it out on the forum instead of the significant other....which I have learned never to do. "If momma isn't happy, nobody is happy" and I try to keep her happy all, and I mean ALL of the time.
To all....pardon my bad day :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Well, some of you are right? I did have a real bad day yesterday and I might have taken it out on the forum instead of the significant other....which I have learned never to do. "If momma isn't happy, nobody is happy" and I try to keep her happy all, and I mean ALL of the time.
To all....pardon my bad day :cheers:
Coming here and stirring up trouble with troll and/or flame posts isn't the way for you to resolve your anger issues either. Remember, we can lower the banhammer on you just as well as your significant other can.

If you're truly sorry, you might consider deleting some of the other 'offending' posts you put up yesterday.

This thread is closed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.