Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

521 - 540 of 558 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Re: Porsche 718 Reviews

Thanks for the links! Two things I did not see discussed. Unless I was reading too fast, I saw no clarification to confirm that the in-the-cabin sound was phony, as we've been hearing (and as has been done by other car companies when they drop two cylinders and add a turbo). This may be because they were testing a Boxster with the top down and not a Cayman, but still it should have been clarified. Secondly, it sounds as though they are trusting the gas mileage data they've been provided rather than testing it themselves. At least here in the U.S., EPA testing is done so gently as to not actually engage the turbo. This results in wildly optimistic gas mileage figures that have little to do with reality, a problem that does not occur with NA engines. Again, thanks for these interesting links.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

Thanks for the review links, the reviews are as expected. Better performance with some typical trade back of a turbo, noticeably in the sound and prior to the turbo kicks in.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

Having read these reviews . . .
For people who track their cars and want to get around the track as fast as possible, of course the 718 beats the 981.

For many of the rest of us, however, it's quite the opposite. The 981 is plenty fast enough for the street, the purpose of the car is to have fun. Driving around with a little turbo lag but also, perhaps more importantly, essentially the sound of a Subaru (as several of the reviews have described it) makes the car less fun and less engaging. Also, there's another psychological thorn in the side. Porsche marketing is using the 718 to make it clear these cars are unquestionably inferior to the 911 (as a way to overcome all those previous reviews of the 981 which questioned whether it still made sense to buy a 991 when you could have the 981 for less). I understand marketing departments' jobs are to manipulate the public, but that doesn't mean we have to like it. I don't like that manipulation.

Bottom line: I'm sure I'm not the only 981 owner who has zero temptation to, at least from my perspective, "downgrade" to the 718.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts

Having read these reviews . . .
For people who track their cars and want to get around the track as fast as possible, of course the 718 beats the 981.

For many of the rest of us, however, it's quite the opposite. The 981 is plenty fast enough for the street, the car purpose of the car is to have fun with. Driving around with a little turbo lag but also, perhaps more importantly, essentially the sound of a Subaru (as several of the reviews have described it) makes the car less fun and less engaging. Also, there's another psychological thorn in the side. Porsche marketing is using the 718 to make it clear these cars are unquestionably inferior to the 911 (as a way to overcome all those previous reviews of the 981 which questioned whether it still made sense to buy a 991 when you could have the 981 for less). I understand marketing departments' jobs are to manipulate the public, but that doesn't mean we have to like it. I don't like that manipulation.

Bottom line: I'm sure I'm not the only 981 owner who has zero temptation to, at least from my perspective, "downgrade" to the 718.
Well this is scathing , and it agrees with your argument.

"There’s a big reservation around the fact that amid all the improvement, the Boxster, Porsche’s baby sports car, has lost something of the drama and excitement you got from an engine that was more of an event. A roadster is as much about the satisfaction of driving as the absolute speed, and this new Porsche feels a bit more effective than soulful. It’s improved, but “better” might be relative."

Cheers

·
Registered
3,110 Posts

With some reviews, it's clear that the test car has PSE. I wonder whether a car without PSE might sound better? When the exhaust is less than sonorous, would a more "muffled" noise be preferable?

Reactions: 2015CS

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts

With some reviews, it's clear that the test car has PSE. I wonder whether a car without PSE might sound better? When the exhaust is less than sonorous, would a more "muffled" noise be preferable?
Yes, if you do not want to hear the engine. However with the 981, it is exactly the opposite. ie "less involvement" for the 718.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,850 Posts

For some the muffled sound would be preferable, but my guess is that the majority would prefer a sportier sound. Granted that this forum with its very high percentage of enthusiasts is not representative of the entire Porsche community, but the overwhelming verdict from this forum is loud and clear.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts

I have developed a greater and deeper appreciation for my manual 13 BS. With this 718 and even the new 911, any 'new' Porsche for me will be a used one.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts

Yes, if you do not want to hear the engine. However with the 981, it is exactly the opposite. ie "less involvement" for the 718.

Cheers
Agreed that with the 981, for most owners PSE brought out the best in the engine note. But if the 718 sound is bad (which it appears to be) maybe quieter would be the proverbial "lipstick on a pig" and could turn a big negative about the car into something closer to neutral.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

I have developed a greater and deeper appreciation for my manual 13 BS. With this 718 and even the new 911, any 'new' Porsche for me will be a used one.
In the same camp as well. If I ever replace the current ride, it'll have to be a minimally used GT4 or a low mileage 7MT 911 GTS.

Reactions: Anand

·
Registered
64 Posts

Looks like a number of 718 reviews are online:

Evo Magazine
Porsche 718 Boxster S review - prices, specs and 0-60 time | Evo

Pistonheads
Porsche 718 Boxster S: Review | PistonHeads

Auto Express
New Porsche 718 Boxster 2016 review | Auto Express

The Telegraph
New 718 Boxster review: has Porsche blown it?

The consensus appears to be that the numbers are better, but it's lost some soul when it comes to the engine department. Most of the criticism seems to be of the engine note. Evo and the Telegraph were most damning in that regard.
Pretty much what we all feared

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts

Agreed that with the 981, for most owners PSE brought out the best in the engine note. But if the 718 sound is bad (which it appears to be) maybe quieter would be the proverbial "lipstick on a pig" and could turn a big negative about the car into something closer to neutral.
Agreed !

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts

If I was shopping a 718 a listen to the standard exhaust would certainly be a must do on the list. If nothing else it would tone down the burps, pops and farts and allow an aftermarket exhaust to be fitted with the money saved. I at least think they've gone over the top with that. Sounds more like a misfire on a busted muffler than a performance tune anymore. And at best as you suggest a more subdued exhaust note might just sound better as is.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

Till we hear it, it could cut either way--meaning while your point is well taken, methinks, it's not at all impossible that the standard muffler would even sound worse, keeping in mind that Porsche demands a lot of extra money for the sport muffler and unlike some sport mufflers, the P-car version promises zero increase in horse power. Said differently, the only reason people spend all that loot for the sport muffler to get a better sound. You have to think that at least in the minds of PAG, they must think buyers will perceive the sound the magazines have been lambasting as superior. That said, as suggested by your comments, they might be wrong. Where's the popcorn . . . .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pretty much what we all feared

Yes I feared this. Is sad as it completely changes the character of the car and probably the demographic of the buyer too. I was hoping that Porsche was going to do something special with the sound of the engine and the response but so far all I've heard are words like drone and lag.

It is differentiated more from the 911 now but sadly it's farewell to a mid engined flat-6 Porsche (apart from the GT4)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes I feared this. Is sad as it completely changes the character of the car and probably the demographic of the buyer too. I was hoping that Porsche was going to do something special with the sound of the engine and the response but so far all I've heard are words like drone and lag.

It is differentiated more from the 911 now but sadly it's farewell to a mid engined flat-6 Porsche (apart from the GT4)
Yeah... ruined.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm hardly an optimist by nature, but there is another way to look at the potential negative reception that awaits the turbo Boxsters.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that the reaction of the non-gearheads mirrors that of "us," Planet-9 posters who are put off by the notion of spending upwards of $70k for a four-cylinder automobile for a host of reasons, including the condemnation of their peers when the word gets out. Further assume that they, too, think the new engines sound much too Subaru-like. The result: sales plummet. Then what happens? At that point, market forces will kick in. Porsche has to move the metal, one way or another. If the car's performance isn't enough to sell the car, the only alternative is money in the truck. Now imagine a well-equipped turbo "S" that gobbles up NA 3.4s and can be had for $60k not $80. Or a manual transmission "S" in the color of your choice and 4-way seats for $52k?

Not possible you say? Ready to bet on it? I'm old enough to remember Porsche damn near gave 914-6s away: $7000 cars that sold for $4800. (Datsun's 240Z crushed the market for 914s, four-cylinder and six-cylinder cars.)

So, in a perverse way, I hope the naysayers are right -- that turbo Boxsters will pile up unsold. And if they do, I for one am ready to be thrown into that briar patch.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Old school vs new school... over and over.

Old school want a MT lightweight NA 6 cylinders mid-engine. While new school look at 0-60, hp and torque.
Old school are far less in numbers than new school, therefore the GT4 and the likes future model will meet their expectations. Or they'll move to 911 GTs and 960. But the new waves of masses will care less about the turbo 4 cylinder 718. Simply they just want a Porsche.

The Boxster / Cayman was never a flagship of Porsche. It's a model to attract a certain age categories into the brand. PAG are making sure of that. And keep in mind, the turbo generation is not here to stay either. It may live for a generation or two before the electric motors take over.

...my 2 cents.

521 - 540 of 558 Posts