Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

541 - 558 of 558 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
I'm hardly an optimist by nature, but there is another way to look at the potential negative reception that awaits the turbo Boxsters.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that the reaction of the non-gearheads mirrors that of "us," Planet-9 posters who are put off by the notion of spending upwards of $70k for a four-cylinder automobile for a host of reasons, including the condemnation of their peers when the word gets out. Further assume that they, too, think the new engines sound much too Subaru-like. The result: sales plummet. Then what happens? At that point, market forces will kick in. Porsche has to move the metal, one way or another. If the car's performance isn't enough to sell the car, the only alternative is money in the truck. Now imagine a well-equipped turbo "S" that gobbles up NA 3.4s and can be had for $60k not $80. Or a manual transmission "S" in the color of your choice and 4-way seats for $52k?

Not possible you say? Ready to bet on it? I'm old enough to remember Porsche damn near gave 914-6s away: $7000 cars that sold for $4800. (Datsun's 240Z crushed the market for 914s, four-cylinder and six-cylinder cars.)

So, in a perverse way, I hope the naysayers are right -- that turbo Boxsters will pile up unsold. And if they do, I for one am ready to be thrown into that briar patch.
+1. I said the same thing a while ago before the car and price were announced. The market place is going to punish Porsche for the 718...especially since they raised the price. If they lowered the price by $5k, it would have had a chance. Remember that it is not the public that requested a 4 cylinder or a turbo. The market place did not demand these changes.....hence it is going to fail.

Compare that to the GT4 where the market was demanding the changes.....it flew off the shelves.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I'm hardly an optimist by nature, but there is another way to look at the potential negative reception that awaits the turbo Boxsters.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that the reaction of the non-gearheads mirrors that of "us," Planet-9 posters who are put off by the notion of spending upwards of $70k for a four-cylinder automobile for a host of reasons, including the condemnation of their peers when the word gets out. Further assume that they, too, think the new engines sound much too Subaru-like. The result: sales plummet. Then what happens? At that point, market forces will kick in. Porsche has to move the metal, one way or another. If the car's performance isn't enough to sell the car, the only alternative is money in the truck. Now imagine a well-equipped turbo "S" that gobbles up NA 3.4s and can be had for $60k not $80. Or a manual transmission "S" in the color of your choice and 4-way seats for $52k?

Not possible you say? Ready to bet on it? I'm old enough to remember Porsche damn near gave 914-6s away: $7000 cars that sold for $4800. (Datsun's 240Z crushed the market for 914s, four-cylinder and six-cylinder cars.)

So, in a perverse way, I hope the naysayers are right -- that turbo Boxsters will pile up unsold. And if they do, I for one am ready to be thrown into that briar patch.
Old school vs new school... over and over.

Old school want a MT lightweight NA 6 cylinders mid-engine. While new school look at 0-60, hp and torque.
Old school are far less in numbers than new school, therefore the GT4 and the likes future model will meet their expectations. Or they'll move to 911 GTs and 960. But the new waves of masses will care less about the turbo 4 cylinder 718. Simply they just want a Porsche.

The Boxster / Cayman was never a flagship of Porsche. It's a model to attract a certain age categories into the brand. PAG are making sure of that. And keep in mind, the turbo generation is not here to stay either. It may live for a generation or two before the electric motors take over.

...my 2 cents.

Both interesting takes on the situation that is developing... I for one made a choice last spring and ordered a car from the options that were available at the time, it arrived last September and will be my Porsche for some time into the future.

How long, I don't know, I have what I need for now, unless something really interesting (and great) comes by or someone else just has to have my car and waves lots of money in my face ;) I think I will enjoy the ride and watch the future unfold. :cheers:

·
Registered
745 Posts
The Boxster / Cayman was never a flagship of Porsche. It's a model to attract a certain age categories into the brand. PAG are making sure of that. And keep in mind, the turbo generation is not here to stay either. It may live for a generation or two before the electric motors take over.

...my 2 cents.
You're right, but I think some of the frustration comes from the fact that, while the Cayman/Boxster becomes a technically better car every generation, Porsche also puts more space between the Cayman/Boxster and 911 every generation. When the Cayman came out, it was essentially a 911 with the engine/tranny flipped around and a little less power, so it kind of felt like the "enthusiast's Porsche" more than the beginner Porsche. I mean, I went from a 911 "down" to a Cayman, although I guess that's what Porsche is trying to avoid, so I get it...but it doesn't mean I like it or that I'll buy a newer Porsche anytime soon. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Guys, Porsche is one of the most profitable automobile manufacturer in its segment.

The model name 718 will end up with a long list of sub models, like the 911. So get ready for special editions to please the 6 cylinder NA loyalists at a premium sticker price. The GT4 & Spyder were just the beginning. Expect a 718 550 edition, R edition, RS edition... etc.

The future is going to be promising with limited editions for collectors, old school and enthusiasts as Porsche cash tons of money.

IMHO the 718 is the actual birthdate of the Boxster/Cayman, not the 986 model.

Remember I gave you all a sneak peak into the future here on P9 then.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Guys, Porsche is one of the most profitable automobile manufacturer in its segment.

The model name 718 will end up with a long list of sub models, like the 911. So get ready for special editions to please the 6 cylinder NA loyalists at a premium sticker price. The GT4 & Spyder were just the beginning. Expect a 718 550 edition, R edition, RS edition... etc.

The future is going to be promising with limited editions for collectors, old school and enthusiasts as Porsche cash tons of money.

IMHO the 718 is the actual birthdate of the Boxster/Cayman, not the 996 model.

Remember I gave you all a sneak peak into the future here on P9 then.
You do mean the 986 model right?

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen

·
Registered
112 Posts
718 Cayman Debut

I just got my new Panorama magazine and it says the new 718 Cayman will debut on April 25, 2016 at the Beijing Auto Show. I am surprised we have not seen any more teasers yet as Porsche usually releases these well ahead of an Auto Show debut.

Is Panorama mistaken? Anyone with some insights?

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Re: 718 Cayman Debut

There are a lot of photos in the new Panorama but that isn't like seeing the 718 in person. I really want to see and HEAR and drive one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
718 Cayman Porsche USA Press Release

Poised for precision: The new 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman

Poised for precision: The new 2017 Porsche 718 Cayman

Mid-engine sports coupe with new turbocharged flat-four cylinder engines and enhanced suspension

Atlanta, Georgia. Today Porsche announces the new 718 Cayman models. Following the debut of the new 718 Boxster, the new 718 Cayman complements the roadster in the mid-engine model line-up. This third generation of the mid-engine sports coupe has a more striking and athletic appearance, and for the first time, the coupe is priced below the roadster.
The new turbocharged flat-four cylinder engines from the 718 Boxster power the 718 Cayman, making the power output identical for both models. The 2.5 liter powerplant in the S model produces 350 horsepower, while the 2.0 liter engine in the 718 Cayman delivers 300 horsepower. Both models make 25 more horsepower than their respective predecessors.
The abundant torque produced by the new engines yields driving pleasure and agility even at low revs. The 2.0 liter engine of the 718 Cayman delivers up to 280 lb.-ft., which is available between 1,950 rpm and 4,500 rpm. This represents a 67 lb.-ft. increase over the previous Cayman. The 2.5 liter engine in the 718 Cayman S features a turbocharger with variable turbine geometry (VTG), technology previously utilized in the 911 Turbo. That engine delivers up to 309 lb.-ft. of torque (37 lb.-ft. more than the previous Cayman S) to the crankshaft between 1,900 and 4,500 rpm. Both engines used in the 718 Cayman models are equipped with an integrated wastegate to optimize boost pressure across driving scenarios. The result: confidence inspiring passing power and superior drivability in any situation. The 718 Cayman with PDK and optional Sport Chrono Package reaches 60 miles per hour in 4.5 seconds. The 718 Cayman S is able to accelerate from 0 to 60 in just 4.0 seconds. The top track speed of the 718 Cayman is 170 miles per hour, and the 718 Cayman S can reach a top track speed of 177 miles per hour.

New chassis tuning for greater cornering precision and more lateral grip
With their superb driving dynamics, the new 718 Cayman models follow in the footsteps of the legendary 718 race cars. Thanks to their outstanding agility, the historic mid-engine sports cars won numerous races including Le Mans and the Targa Florio in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Firmer springs and sway bars as well as retuned shock absorbers improve lateral grip and tracking stability. The steering rack with a 10 percent quicker on-center ratio compared to the previous model has been adapted from the 911 Turbo and enhances agility as well as driving pleasure. The rear wheels, which are one-half inch wider, and a new generation of tires increase lateral grip to allow for even better cornering.
Performance enhancing options such as the Sport Chrono Package and Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) sharpen the sporty character of the 718 Cayman even further. Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) with a 10 millimeter reduction in ride height is also optionally available. Furthermore, the S model can be ordered with the PASM Sport suspension for the first time, which lowers the car by 20 millimeters. As in other Porsche sports cars, the Sport Chrono Package can now be adjusted using the Mode Switch on the steering wheel. Supplementing the previous settings of “Normal,” “Sport,” and “Sport Plus” is the “Individual” program, which can store and call up the driver’s preferred settings.
Due to the car’s increased performance, uprated brake systems with 330 mm brake rotors at the front and 299 mm rear rotors are now standard. The 718 Cayman uses the brakes from the previous Cayman S, while the 718 Cayman S is equipped with the four-piston calipers of the 911 Carrera combined with six millimeter thicker front brake rotors.

Distinctive design for a more muscular appearance
The new 718 Cayman has been enhanced as comprehensively in its design as it has in its technology. The taut proportions, prominent air intakes on the sides and at the front, as well as the low side profile underscore the uprated dynamics. The front fascia has a sharper profile, which gives the front of the car a wider and more muscular appearance. The ultra-slim front lights above the air intakes, which house the positioning lights and indicators, reinforce this impression. Significantly larger cooling air intakes and Bi-Xenon™ headlights with integrated LED daytime running lights also characterize the new 718 Cayman. LED headlights with four-point daytime running lights are available as a new option. The redesigned rear fascia appears wider than before due to the high-gloss black accent strip with integrated Porsche logotype. The taillights have been completely redesigned and are distinguished by the three-dimensional look and four-point brake lights that appear to float freely.

Redesigned interior with standard PCM
Inside, revisions are visible for both the 718 Cayman and the 718 Boxster. The upper part of the dashboard and the air vents are new. The new 918 Spyder design sport steering wheel and extensive connectivity options have now been added to the 718 cockpit. Porsche Communication Management (PCM) and the eight speaker Sound Package Plus audio system are standard. The capabilities of the PCM can be extended with options such as the Connect module. It includes special extensions for smartphones, such as the USB port, Apple CarPlay and Porsche Car Connect. Another available option is the navigation module with voice control, which makes it easy to enter driving destinations. The Connect Plus module offers real-time traffic information, Apple CarPlay, Google Earth, Google Street View, and WiFi connectivity. Drivers can also make use of additional comprehensive services via their smartphone, which include the Porsche Connect App and Porsche Car Connect.

The 718 Cayman and 718 Cayman S are on sale now and will reach U.S. dealers in late November, 2016. The 718 Cayman has a starting MSRP of $53,900, and the 718 Cayman S starts at $66,300, excluding the $1,050 delivery, processing and handling fee.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: 718 Cayman Porsche USA Press Release

For more money, I get the following goodies:

1 Smaller fuel tank (14.3 US gal);
2 More weight;
3 2 fewer cylinders and lower compression; and
4 a few extra standard features (sports button, xenon lights, standard PCM, re-tuned steering and wider rear wheels).

Of course the official fuel consumption figures are better, but they are as accurate as the the official emission figures.

How exciting!

From 987.1 to 987.2 to 981, we could look forward to significant improvement (in all areas) with each iteration of the mid-engine sports car. It is sad to realise that the zenith was reached a few years ago, and the new model will not take us any higher than before.

Hey, at least our models are not the de-tuned version offered in China, the largest national market for Porsche.

·
Registered
745 Posts

From 987.1 to 987.2 to 981, we could look forward to significant improvement (in all areas) with each iteration of the mid-engine sports car. It is sad to realise that the zenith was reached a few years ago, and the new model will not take us any higher than before.
Let's not get carried away. Many of us see the electric steering and design of the 981 as a step back from the 987, so "in all areas" may be a stretch. Either way, the move to a turbo-4 is hard to swallow.

·
Registered
108 Posts

The 2.5 turbo seems to have good power , we shall see . I would bite the bullet and go for a 911 next time ..which may be part of their plan

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Re: Porsche Press release for the 718 Boxster

Unless the new GTS will have a flat-6, it's time for me to start saving for a 911 before they go 4 cylinder or all electric. No wonder my 1973 is worth stupid money these days.
"Boost in, soul out?"

"Judging by Ben Barry’s drive of the 718 Boxster, it’s pretty clear what effect the fitment of a turbocharged four-cylinder boxer will have on the Cayman: ‘Firing the Boxster S’s engine into life results in disappointment, unfortunately… It’s a much bigger culture shock than the switch from natural aspiration to turbo power for the 911 Carrera, and simply isn’t exotic enough." Car.

Cheers

·
Registered
231 Posts

I don't dispute that the Cayman and Boxster are entry-level cars. This is obvious. They are the cheapest, most affordable Porsches.

However, many of us chose a Cayman or Boxster based on their own virtues, not as a stepping stone into a 911.
I guess I am backward, I sold my 1997 993 triple black cabriolet to buy my first Cayman after instructing a first timer and seeing what the car could do on the track ...ie car went anywhere on line or off......I do not suspect I will ever own a 911 again

·
Registered
5,454 Posts

I don't dispute that the Cayman and Boxster are entry-level cars. This is obvious. They are the cheapest, most affordable Porsches.

However, many of us chose a Cayman or Boxster based on their own virtues, not as a stepping stone into a 911.
Not true, the base Macan is the 'least expensive' new Porsche available, other then a used one of course! I would rather not use the adjective "cheapest" when taking about these cars... ;)

As for using them as a stepping stone, some people do but as you can see from buying history this far, it doesn't apply to me! :cheers:

Reactions: bruinfn4lf
541 - 558 of 558 Posts