Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
I hate to be a downer, but learned the other day a track friend totaled his GT4. The injuries he sustained (he fully recovered) were attributed to using harnesses with the LWB seats when the bolster airbag inflated. I had not really considered having airbags as a negative, but I suppose those are designed to work with 3-pt seat belts.

Reactions: westwest888

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I hate to be a downer, but learned the other day a track friend totaled his GT4. The injuries he sustained (he fully recovered) were attributed to using harnesses with the LWB seats when the bolster airbag inflated. I had not really considered having airbags as a negative, but I suppose those are designed to work with 3-pt seat belts.
A good tip for anyone using the LWB instead of a shell - you have to disable the airbags with a resistor. Probably 2.4 ohm?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
VIR has a lot of runoff and I don't hear about a lot of issues there - if you don't mind, how did you damage it?
I have seen other mid or rear engine cars lose it on those uphill esses.

Didn't take video because it was like 2007, but here's some footage of an R8 in that area:

https://youtu.be/gQLM-K9TwWM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm not sure I follow why he had more severe injuries with a seat bolster airbag?
That was his assessment and I did not get much explanation except that being strapped in that tightly is different than a 3-point belt. Also, I saw photos and the primary impact was not on the driver's side door. It was scratched/dented some, but it did not look like there was any sort of mechanical pressure from the door onto the driver's body (like might happen if you got T-boned by another car).

·
Registered
474 Posts
...but here's some footage of an R8 in that area: https://youtu.be/gQLM-K9TwWM
Thanks, I had not seen that video. In that video I spun at the 9 second mark, right where there is a turn onto the interior course (where water was entering the straight), well before the esses. It is a rare place to spin indeed.

Although I did have a controlled drive off in just about the exact same spot as this R8. I was going fast, over 120, and the rear end slipped just a bit, and I got it straight and drove off into the grass on the right. I was trying to progressively up my speed going through there, and that was my last (and fastest) run. I pitted after that.

It really sucks sliding in the grass, knowing you are going to hit something like this guy did...some of the comments are brutal (but true!).
Capture.PNG

21 - 26 of 26 Posts