Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the trigger on a dark blue metallic GTS to be delivered in June. Not my first Porsche, but first since a pair of early 1970's 911's. Of course, if I'd have kept them instead of selling 15 years ago I could probably afford to buy a pair of GT3's:).

Anyway, the GTS will be replacing a track-specced Lotus Elise that I've driven with my local PCA group at HPDE's for several years. I've got it configured with the MT, black leather, and a little bling (red seat belts, aluminum trim, fire extinguisher, Sport Techno wheels). Looking forward to getting a second set of track wheels and bombing around with it later this year. This looks like a good, active forum, and I'm sure I will have questions along the way. For now I'm just like a bunch of you, waiting and getting itchy to get my hands on the car.

Andy

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Did you consider PTV ? It is the one option I wish I added. (I did get the red belts, they look great with the black leather interior.)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you consider PTV ? It is the one option I wish I added. (I did get the red belts, they look great with the black leather interior.)
Yes, but I think a LSD deadens steering a bit. Better for auto-x than a track. If you can feel it on a dry road you're probably gonna get arrested. That's my thought process anyways.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I would have liked PTV just to improve traction on cold and snow. I'm getting lots of slippage on my winter tire set up despite new Pirelli Winter Sotozero's, even on my driveway (on 18" rims, probably not ideal). Not an issue if you don't plan on using the GTS much in the winter. I'm using my winter beater 3 series more than I did with the 06 CS, same tire.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
I would have liked PTV just to improve traction on cold and snow. I'm getting lots of slippage on my winter tire set up despite new Pirelli Winter Sotozero's, even on my driveway (on 18" rims, probably not ideal). Not an issue if you don't plan on using the GTS much in the winter. I'm using my winter beater 3 series more than I did with the 06 CS, same tire.
I'd like to learn more about your comment that the 18" rims are less than ideal for winter driving. Perhaps I'm misinformed but I thought that was what was commonly recommended.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I used the same 18" rims on my 06, with the same brand winter tire, and that was a good set up. With the same brand tires and same rims, but sized for the GTS, the sidewalls are taller to give overall wheel plus tire combo of 1 inch greater diameter, as specified for GTS.

I do not know if this added sidewall height is the reason for the poor winter performance on the GTS compared to the CS, but the dry handling sure is worse. I have increased the pressure to 40PSI, quite a bit over the Porsche recommended 32 PSI for the GTS running winter tires on 18 rims. The higher PSI has improved traction and handling somewhat, but I'm still not happy with these tires. I'm not confident on taking out the GTS with this set up unless the pavement is dry.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used the same 18" rims on my 06, with the same brand winter tire, and that was a good set up. With the same brand tires and same rims, but sized for the GTS, the sidewalls are taller to give overall wheel plus tire combo of 1 inch greater diameter, as specified for GTS.

I do not know if this added sidewall height is the reason for the poor winter performance on the GTS compared to the CS, but the dry handling sure is worse. I have increased the pressure to 40PSI, quite a bit over the Porsche recommended 32 PSI for the GTS running winter tires on 18 rims. The higher PSI has improved traction and handling somewhat, but I'm still not happy with these tires. I'm not confident on taking out the GTS with this set up unless the pavement is dry.

I obviously don't yet have the car to chime in specifically, but whatever the chassis, winter grip is all about the tire tread and width. Within reason, the skinnier the better. While I don't plan on driving the GTS in the winter, I have replaced the summer tires on my 320HP BMW 135 with decent winter Pirellis in the same size and get around just fine. A high HP RWD car will never be ideal on snow.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, a week to go before the build locks and now I've got the same problem as many of you guys, I just changed the color to sapphire blue.

I can't wait until the build is locked so I don't have to drive myself nuts.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
So, a week to go before the build locks and now I've got the same problem as many of you guys, I just changed the color to sapphire blue.

As most of us have already gone through.

I saw a Dark Blue Metallic GTS at the dealership last week with the Black / Luxor bicolour interior. It looked stunning.:kiss:

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts

But did you get the Sport Design steering wheel???

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But did you get the Sport Design steering wheel???
You bet. Aluminum trim, and chrome tailpipe tips just to break it up. Already have a set of OZ 19 inch wheels and Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires picked out.

I looked carefully at all at all the bi color interiors and just couldn't do it. I'm likely to track the car 10 or more days a year and things get pretty dirty in there. So much as I like the dark blue, together with the black it just seemed too dark.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts