Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Before I start posting questions that are likely to be easily answered by using the 'Search' facility, I though I'd say a quick hi from the east of England!
Picked up my Cayman S 2006 around a month now and loving it to bits.
Had allsorts of cars, from 500~ bhp R33 GTR through to MX5 1.6 Eunos Roadsters.

Just had the car up on the 4 poster today since its rattling and unfortunately it wasn't just the heat shields. The near side cat core is loose. So now to investigate options! Since I can't bring myself to run a rather long self tapping screw through the cat can and the core to keep it still, I now have to source parts! I have to be honest. I'm struggling a bit. I was considering an aftermarket exhaust system but I have to be honest and say o don't know where to start. It's the cat directly after the manifold on the passenger side.

Happily though, besides wanting a bit of a spruce up on the brakes, with ceramic lubrican, and a sort out of he curbed wheels (19 inch Carerra S) there's nothing else untoward. The running gear is nice and tight and the suspensions working properly (sports chrono and PASM).

Its done 72k. Now, I know there are the ilk that rave on about IMS bearings, but look, I can't afford a 2009 car and I wanted the package that Porsche can offer for he money I paid. :hilarious: It was a Cayman of this year or an older 911.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Eddie,
Good thanks! Weather was nice enough to sit out with a glass of red this evening so by UK standards, that can't be bad!
I'd be better if I new where to go to get my cat sorted but I'm sure I'll get there. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe worth checking on the bay if there are any parts for sale, otherwise it might be a good excuse to think about an uprated exhaust. If you haven't heard gert carnewal is a great guy in belgium who does mods to the stock exhausts and its quite cheap, you get a nice sound and some performance gains, he can post or many owners like me make the trip over to his workshop. May be worth speaking to him, he does an exchange service although if your original is damaged it may be a no go. Either way he may be able to help, just google carnewal porsche.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and congrats on the purchase. I hail from sunny South Wales. Have a look at Design 911's website as they offer a number of exhaust options including decat headers.

Thanks for the suggestion! IF I decat the headers, won't that cause the car to fail the emissions when it comes to MOT as well as through errors through the lambda sensors?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I know the M97 Cayman has four cats and that you can delete two of them without any issues. I'm not sure, however, which two it is - the ones bolted to the headers or the other two which form part of the silencer. Design 911 also offer headers with high-flow cats which are guranteed not to cause a CEL.

I should add, I have no affiliation with this organisation but have purchased from them a few times without any hassle.

Buy Porsche Exhausts | Design 911

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it's the back two that you can delete, not the mainfold cats since firstly they are the ones that the lambda sensors take the readings off (therefore you'd end up with the CEL light on) and they have the most cores.

803 Posts
Hey all. Before I start posting questions that are likely to be easily answered by using the 'Search' facility, I though I'd say a quick hi from the east of England!
Picked up my Cayman S 2006 around a month now and loving it to bits.
Had allsorts of cars, from 500~ bhp R33 GTR through to MX5 1.6 Eunos Roadsters.

Just had the car up on the 4 poster today since its rattling and unfortunately it wasn't just the heat shields. The near side cat core is loose. So now to investigate options! Since I can't bring myself to run a rather long self tapping screw through the cat can and the core to keep it still, I now have to source parts! I have to be honest. I'm struggling a bit. I was considering an aftermarket exhaust system but I have to be honest and say o don't know where to start. It's the cat directly after the manifold on the passenger side.

Happily though, besides wanting a bit of a spruce up on the brakes, with ceramic lubrican, and a sort out of he curbed wheels (19 inch Carerra S) there's nothing else untoward. The running gear is nice and tight and the suspensions working properly (sports chrono and PASM).

Its done 72k. Now, I know there are the ilk that rave on about IMS bearings, but look, I can't afford a 2009 car and I wanted the package that Porsche can offer for he money I paid. :hilarious: It was a Cayman of this year or an older 911.
Hello JonBoy2000 and welcome to the community!

I am sorry to hear of your poor luck with your cats, and I would love the opportunity to work with you and resolve your problem as soon as possible with the Sport Headers we offer for your vehicle. In addition intake, ECU, and exhaust upgrades, we can also source you wheels, suspension, and brake components to maximize your driving experience. PM sent and I look forward to hearing back from you soon!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very happy today. Popped the car up on the ramp and had another look. One of the lambda sensors was loose. Done it back up and the issue is now resolved! Thank heavens for that. :hilarious:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know, I usually end up the other way. We are going to go round he system and replace the rusted clamps and bolts including the manifold bolts. Any ideas where the best place is to source these is? Design-911 do do them but they quite expensive.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I managed to purchase the manifold to cats bolts (6 x M8 x 25mm) from a local source, but I went with Design-911 for the manifold to cylinder head bolts because they have a larger head and I couldn't get these locally. Any decent fastner outlet should be able to provide the man/cat bolts and I guess you could use a flat washer for the man/head bolts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts