Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

High pitched ticking noise coming from the engine

Tags
#cayman
3K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  DomeDepot 
#1 ·
Hey guys, after doing some spirited driving here in Nashville this afternoon, I noticed a slight ticking noise coming from the engine/rear of the car, its not specific to any side I checked.

I have a pretty loud exhaust so I'm not sure if its ticking when I'm driving, but I noticed it when I got out of the car and it was idling. It ticks like the tip of a screwdriver hitting can, or heavy rain hitting a metal roof, so its high pitched and tangy. Additionally, theres no set pattern to this ticking, it could be ticking consistently once every 1-3 seconds then stop for 30-45 seconds, then go on again, then stop for 20 sec, and start again...

I did notice that the ticking got more frequent when I had the car in sport mode (since the idle revs are a little higher).

I've see some other forums mentioning "ticking noises" but those were mostly the injectors making that noise and this is definitely not that.

Anyway, here's a link to the youtube video I recorded after I noticed the ticking issue, (would recommend turning volume all the way up).

It could be a few things:
  • Muffler/Exhaust system
  • I need to replace coil packs and spark plugs soon, could be that
  • Serpentine belt

Is this something serious? Should I be worried?

I haven't found a forum thread that has this same issue, so if you've experienced this, or might know what the problem is, any insight is super appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Did it still tick after you shut off the engine?
Let it cool down a few hours then take it for a short drive enough to warm up to normal operating temp. Then park and listen for the tick. I'm wondering if it is just the sound of metal expansion and contraction after the spirited driving. Exhaust systems do that.

#6 ·
Could be a noisy valve, could be a loose plug (my 986 ticked when a plug was loose even though I thought it was improbable for a plug to tick like that). I think the muffler is less likely and the serpentine belt is also unlikely to make a noise like that. As for worry? If the oil is clean, filter cartridge too, all other fluids at the correct level and it's running at the correct temperature? Enjoy it.

#9 ·
Ok fellas sitrep, So far have driven the car around for about 50 more miles since making the post on Friday and haven't noticed that ticking sound return.

Checked all fluids as @Boristhespyder mentioned and we're all good there, oil level is ok from digital reading (3/4s), oil was last changed 6,000mi ago, and all temp running normally after car has been warmed up. (coolant: 190-195F & oil: 190-220F)

Since the sound wasn't prevalent yesterday and today, I wasn't able to check if the ticking increased @PorscheGreg but I will make sure to check that next time I hear the tick come up (if it does).

Lastly @Platinum5150 I'm positive I torqued everything to spec, and made sure new cables weren't snagging anything from the serpentine belt, I'd love to check for it but would have to remove everything all over again 😭

My guess is it could be the metal expansion/contraction in the exhaust system after driving it all day on Friday, and it was a hot day too in Nash (around 85-90F) so that plus pushing the car through the hilly roads may have caused the exhaust to get extra hot.

I have an inspection on tuesday with a local performance shop, so I'll ask them to check a few things, the serpentine belt, the exhaust (make sure there's no loose bolts/connections), and spark plug housings.

One thing that I might look into, is next time I get the car on jacks is inspecting these loose diagonal struts that I saw in another thread here. Checking Video / Fixing Video.

Will keep you guys posted after I get the inspection done. All help & suggestions are appreciated as always 🫡

#10 ·
Small update for you guys.

Ticking sound came up again today after driving for 40ish minutes. Here's an updated video of what it sounds like: 981 Cayman Rear Ticking Noise Update #2 - YouTube

@PorscheGreg was on to something, seems like the ticking noise increases as revs increase, I don't think its the serpentine belt, its coming more from the rear. Additionally could be a loose connection to the exhaust.

Also @RSchwerer checked to hear if the same ticking noise was happening after shutting the car off, and it stops completely after the car is off.

#11 · (Edited)
I have listened to both videos with headphones, and I dont hear anything but a normal sounding flat 6 engine. These cars make a lot of noise due to the flat cylinder position being amplified against the ground, very different from a ""normal" car. This is a long time P car signature

There are constant "what is this ticking sound" post like this, typically from new P car owners who aren't familiar with these cars and sounds they make. Think of all the clackety sounds a classic flat 4 VW Beetle makes, and that is a much closer comparison to these cars engines vs others. They make a lot of mechanical noise

The thing making the most ticking noises on the 981 is the injectors which operate a very high voltage and pressures, making a loud ticking sound that most are hearing, again all of this being amplified further because of the engine cylinder position against the ground.

There was an article in one of the big P car magazines a few years ago describing the high pressure system used on these cars, and why they make the clackety sounds they do because of the extreme pressures being used to operate them

With all that being said, I'm certainly not saying that one should just ignore a sound if they feel something may be wrong. Just that there is a lot of hysteria and hype over the ticking sound these cars make, 99.9% of which are completely normal for a Porsche

#12 ·
I'm with you @ICNU I'm definitely a brand new P car owner, and not super intune with all the intricacies of the engine, sounds, layout etc. I know what the injectors sound like and the sound isn't the injectors. I guess this is just more tinny, and hard to get across on audio especially with my loud exhaust over bearing the entire audio lol.

For me this is a low priority issue that I'm not losing sleep over, granted would love to figure out how to fix this, but it's not the end of the world.

#13 · (Edited)
I keep thinking "I wish my engine was that quiet!". Mine sounds like a Chinese garment factory. I learned long ago to ignore most of the sounds. I avoid walking around the car while the engine is running. My rule-of-thumb: If I can't hear it (or feel it) from the driver's seat, it isn't very serious. Once I learned what was normal, I just listen for any loud nasty sounds. However I don't really push my engine that hard so I'm not gonna throw a rod or hit band 5 overrevs.

However, some items I do have concerns about are water pump and serpentine belt. Water pumps on Porsches are notorious for early failures. I think mine started making squealing sounds at around 12K miles.

Reactions: ELCID86
#14 ·
Just got back from the mechanic among other issues that need to be rectified (like rebooting the CV boot, finding an oil leak, replacing brake sensors since previous owner didn't do that) I found the culprit of the noise (or at least i think I did).

There was a bolt missing from the headers on the drivers side. (see picture below). So I would need to get that replaced. Anyone have any idea where I can find this specific bolt?

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exhaust

P.S. Had them check the serpentine belt as well, and everything is good there.

#15 ·
Just got back from the mechanic among other issues that need to be rectified (like rebooting the CV boot, finding an oil leak, replacing brake sensors since previous owner didn't do that) I found the culprit of the noise (or at least i think I did).

There was a bolt missing from the headers on the drivers side. (see picture below). So I would need to get that replaced. Anyone have any idea where I can find this specific bolt?

View attachment 288982

P.S. Had them check the serpentine belt as well, and everything is good there.
Try Suncoast

#19 ·
@DomeDepot Welcome to Porsche ownership! I'm in Nashville too, maybe see you at one of the local Musik Stadt meetings someday. I think you may have found the culprit, makes me want to go out and check my header bolts too. Mine (987) also has some ticking sometimes but it hasn't exploded on me in 3 years. I also have the oil analysis done and if I had something bad like bore scoring I think they'd catch it. My oil has a clean bill of health every time.
Not sure if links can go through here but look up on YouTube Rennvision's video Noisy Lifters. He goes into several sources of potential Porsche engine noises.

#22 ·
@DomeDepot Welcome to Porsche ownership! I'm in Nashville too, maybe see you at one of the local Musik Stadt meetings someday. I think you may have found the culprit, makes me want to go out and check my header bolts too. Mine (987) also has some ticking sometimes but it hasn't exploded on me in 3 years. I also have the oil analysis done and if I had something bad like bore scoring I think they'd catch it. My oil has a clean bill of health every time.
Not sure if links can go through here but look up on YouTube Rennvision's video Noisy Lifters. He goes into several sources of potential Porsche engine noises.
Aye nice to see another local in this forum, yea I'm fairly new to the city/car scene here, moved in 22' to west Nash, close to Charlotte pike and I40. Didn't even know there was a PCA zone here but now that I know I'll definitely be attending some of these events.

Good idea on the oil analysis. I might have to get that done next time I get my oil changed (which is in a few months here). Got any lab recommendations I should go with?

#24 ·
Well guys, spent some time working on the car yesterday. Screwed in the missing bolt to the exhaust headers with loctite.

Out of curiosity I wanted to see how tight the other header bolts were and to my surprise about 1/4th of them were very loose, and about half weren't torqued to spec (which is
30nm or 22ft lb).

After tightening all of them and going for a quick drive not only did the original ticking noise disappear (the reason why I started this thread) but a bunch of other ticking noises and vibrations (which i thought were normal) went away.

I highly recommend getting these tightened or at least checking them next time you guys are under your car. I plan on regularly checking them everytime I get my oil changed from now on.

As for why they're loose, I'm pretty certain its because of my car's exhaust (which turns out to be not a custom exhaust at all and a straight pipe after the cats) the exhaust causes a lot of vibrations which may cause these bolts to back out, and could be the source of a few other problems that I'm having (will make a separate post about this).

It baffles me to see one of the previous owners do this to a PORSCHE. This is something I'd expect coming from a riced out civic.

Pic for reference:

#26 ·
That is one awful-looking exhaust.. but as you have noticed - the car apparently wasn't babied by the former owner(s)..

A good thing - used stock exhausts can be found for small money from people who installed aftermarket exhausts and have the original ones hanging around taking up space and collecting dust. There is probably one available near you if you find someone who swapped their exhaust and hasn't realized how bad an idea that actually was yet.

A WTB ad in the marketplace might bring you rewards. FWIW - I've seen stock exhaust, in great condition, sell for as little as $200.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.