Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
I just passed 10,000 this weekend on the way to Lime Rock.....

I've got some catching up to do! /fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/drivingskid.gif

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
After the last couple of weeks' travel to and from California, I'm up to 12,900 miles... I'm gettign closer, Chris....

brad

·
Registered
65 Posts
Picked up BLEU G8R's car nine days ago. Dealership had a 1989 factory slant-nose 930 cabrio there on consignment from a private collection. 1,183 miles. In 17 years. Maybe the ultimate garage queen. Too bad owner didn't actually drive it a little before he croaked.

Glad you guys are doing what you're supposed to do--driving the car.

MK SCHNL
spouse of BLEU G8R
1978 930
44000 miles

·
Registered
463 Posts
OK, finally got out long enough to take a picture... :) 16566 miles.

I'm happy I decided to go without clear bra. The only place on the car that's really showing the mileage is the black flaps in front of the rear wheels. They are completely hammered.Sort of like they have been sand blasted but the pits are bigger. Sand blasting would make them look better! Otherwise only one or two little nicks on the front chin spoiler.

Still haven't put on the Pilot Sport Cups I bought, the PS2s are wearing like iron. The out of spec alignment ( -1.2 camber) is helping since I was wearing out the outside edge anyway.

P.S. After 6 weeks I've finaly stopped talking aboutthe differencenegative camber makes.

The black plastic along the door sills shows wear from hitting it with my feet.

No NEW rattles, just theones it's had since new. :) The third brake light is the source of one I'm sure.

Did you know there are also hooks for the cargo net in the hatch, just like above the engine? I moved the net back there.... makes more sense. But I kinda want to go get a second net.

Edited by - chrismillion on 09/26/2006 12:23:01 PM

·
Registered
638 Posts
Took delivery June 9th 2006 and have 8000km as of now. I'd say about 5000km are on the track or getting to the track.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
ChrisMillion & Chris Rouleau - Good job racking up the miles -- particularly those track miles.

Aaron you are accumulating plenty of miles too.

We need a ticker with everyone's latest mileage scrolling across the CaymanClub Screen........................................................................................................

·
Registered
26 Posts
highest mileage so far on a cayman?

hi, who here has the highest mileage so far on their cayman?

i've barely yet to have hit 3000 miles and have never really bothered with the break-in process

what is the reliability of the car besides the oil change, belt replacement, and air filter changes?

anyone do a major engine rebuild yet?

(defective engines replaced under warranty also count too)

thanks for the time

_

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
You might want to take a look at this thread...

http://www.caymanclub.net/showthread.php?t=3657

I have 18,400 miles since March '06 delivery and did the break-in. I've added half a quart of oil in that time, and had two oil changes. The cars are quite reliable - I doubt you'll find an engine rebuild for a while yet - most of these motors will easily go over 100k miles before needing to be rebuilt. You might want to read though the "complaints" forum for things people find are wrong with their cars.

brad

·
Registered
667 Posts
damn beez! i thought i was catching you... just broke 16k since March '06.

one oil change so far, and haven't added a drop. (of course, not as many track days as you, or as many as i'd like to have done)

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
so more or less i'm just trying to find out that if it is really the reliability improving or just the car too new part still not yet worn off
It's probably a bit of both... but I think it's too soon to tell, really. I haven't heard of any RMS problems in 997s or '05 Boxsters, which would be a bellwether for what would lay ahead for the Caymans, and was probably the biggest problem in the 986/996 cars. I can say that in my 18k+ miles I haven't had any of the problems mentioned in the complaints forum, anecdotal evidence from one car, to be sure.

brad

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
damn beez! i thought i was catching you... just broke 16k since March '06.

one oil change so far, and haven't added a drop. (of course, not as many track days as you, or as many as i'd like to have done)
You're doing some serious driving there, Fab... funny thing is, my car has basically been sitting in the garage since the racing season ended at the end of last Oct. I had it out once for a zip down to Hoover Dam, and from there, a triple-digit race through the desert about halfway down to Kingman AZ with a kid on a Ducati, but that's been it since Oct 30, '06.

brad

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
It's been 7 months and I'm stuck at 13K+ but haven't driven the car in 3 or so weeks because of the weather. Go away snow!

41 - 60 of 90 Posts