Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I purchased the XenonDepot 6500K HID kit for my 2016 Porsche Cayman a week ago and I just removed them and replaced the XenonDepot HID's with Hikari LED's. Here is the run down...

The XenonDepot 6500K HID kit was a simple install. The kit came with the CAN-BUS error free modules and everything else needed for a plug-n-play installation. Total install time took around 45 minutes.

When I turned the car on, lights came on instantly, no flickering and most importantly, no error message. I took the car out for a test drive and right away I noticed the beam was scattered around and I had a huge dark spot in the center of the lights which made visibility limited. I took the lights off to see if I maybe placed them incorrectly and nope, everything looked fine. I called XenonDepot's customer service line which was a waste of time...

So after driving around with the XenonDepot HID kit for a few days, I started researching around for LED kits. My friend who is currently running the Hikari LED kit on his Ford F150 praised them and vouched for them saying "how good they are" and "how bright they are". So I thought, the heck with it! I'll give it a shot!

The installation on the Hikari LED H7 kit was so simple and clean. It took me 5 minutes to install the lights. Once I plugged them in, instant on, quiet, and very bright. The beam pattern is very similar to the OEM bulb pattern. I did NOT have to get the CAN-BUS resistor for this kit which is a plus in my book!

So for any 981 owners wanting to swap out the hideous halogen bulb for LED bulbs, I highly recommend the Hikari LED H7 kit.

I will post pictures up at night to show the brightness and beam pattern.

Instructions I followed; https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum/977557-hikari-led-xhp50-9600lm-pair-install.html.

***Please do proper research if you choose to proceed with an LED kit. I will not be responsible for any damages, problems that MAY occur.***

·
Registered
323 Posts
Would this kit work on a 987.2 as well? I would love to upgrade my dull Halogens to LEDs.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Found this user review on Amazon under "HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H7, Prime LED 12000lm 6500K Cool White"
This is the only Porsche related review

--------------------------------------------------------
3.0 out of 5 stars Read before buying ...
July 2, 2019
Style: H11(H8,H9)Verified Purchase
I ordered complete sets of 2x H7 & 2x H11 Hikari 'Eye Of Megatron' Led bulb kits along with 4x Hikari Anti-Flicker Resistor Decoders specific for each type of bulbs (which are also meant to stop Can-bus monitoring errors on the dash) . Fitment I found to be awkward as both types of these bulbs can be installed at any angle unlike H7 halogen etc. which would lock into an exact position. But once installed these are indeed very bright. I installed all items correctly into a 2008 Porsche 987 Boxster which has the Can-bus monitoring system common to most modern cars. The resistors indeed prevented flickering light problems. I had a small amount of bleed through of light above the beam patterns which I could live with. However I am still getting random and spurious error warnings from the Can-bus system on the dash which I cannot live with and so have decided to return all 8 items. Big Shame as these lights had totally transformed the look of the car giving it a much improved modern lick and vastly improved on the feeble factory fit halogens ... If the resistors were improved by Hikari to totally negate the Can-bus errors and the bulbs were redesigned to be a direct swap with regards to angle of fit then I would definitely reconsider buying again.

Dear Customer,
These bulbs for most of the vehicles are plug and play, but some will have the flicker or error code problem.
There is another kind of error canceler may solve the flicker issue. Please contact the Amazon Hikari Technology Customer Service or [email protected] for the extra resistors, exchange a new set of bulbs or more solutions.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found this user review on Amazon under "HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H7, Prime LED 12000lm 6500K Cool White"
This is the only Porsche related review

--------------------------------------------------------
3.0 out of 5 stars Read before buying ...
July 2, 2019
Style: H11(H8,H9)Verified Purchase
I ordered complete sets of 2x H7 & 2x H11 Hikari 'Eye Of Megatron' Led bulb kits along with 4x Hikari Anti-Flicker Resistor Decoders specific for each type of bulbs (which are also meant to stop Can-bus monitoring errors on the dash) . Fitment I found to be awkward as both types of these bulbs can be installed at any angle unlike H7 halogen etc. which would lock into an exact position. But once installed these are indeed very bright. I installed all items correctly into a 2008 Porsche 987 Boxster which has the Can-bus monitoring system common to most modern cars. The resistors indeed prevented flickering light problems. I had a small amount of bleed through of light above the beam patterns which I could live with. However I am still getting random and spurious error warnings from the Can-bus system on the dash which I cannot live with and so have decided to return all 8 items. Big Shame as these lights had totally transformed the look of the car giving it a much improved modern lick and vastly improved on the feeble factory fit halogens ... If the resistors were improved by Hikari to totally negate the Can-bus errors and the bulbs were redesigned to be a direct swap with regards to angle of fit then I would definitely reconsider buying again.

Dear Customer,
These bulbs for most of the vehicles are plug and play, but some will have the flicker or error code problem.
There is another kind of error canceler may solve the flicker issue. Please contact the Amazon Hikari Technology Customer Service or [email protected] for the extra resistors, exchange a new set of bulbs or more solutions.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I purchased the HIKARI LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit-H7, 2019 New Gen of HIKARI, Adjustable Beam, 9600lm 6K Cool White for my 2016 Porsche Cayman. I did NOT need the CAN-BUS resistors. So far, no warning errors, no flickering. They instantly come on. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I've been sort of confused by the "adjustable beam" part. I saw in a review on Amazon someone saying that the pattern was improved by "clocking" the bulbs. That wasn't very helpful. I'm also concerned by the fact that for our cars (assuming a 981 headlight construction is similar to a 897), it isn't possible to adjust the bulbs while installed. To access you need to remove the entire housing, remove the screws, and pop-off the cover. Not even a way to test the polarity without re-installing the entire enclosure.

I am thinking that what the reviewer meant by "clocking" was to orient the bulb so the LEDs were facing 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Is the bulb designed so it can be rotated 360 in the base? As opposed the the halogen which has a tab so it can only go one way and needs no other adjustment. Seems like having an infinite adjustment (rotation) you could easily be off a few degrees. But with our projector lens' cutoff at the top, I guess a slight variance from true horizontal won't be noticable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My question is what are the specific Hikari LED bulbs that will fit my 2014 Porsche Boxster 981S with factory OEM Bi-Xenon headlights as part of the Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) (pivoting headlight system when the car turns). The system is somewhat complicated.
I want to be sure that the LED bulbs will function properly in my car with this headlight system. It seems that most Porsche owners who have enjoyed success with the Hikari LED bulbs are replacing Halogen bulbs with the LEDS. Will they work in the Bi-Xenon system in my car?

Thanks for any information.

Barry

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been sort of confused by the "adjustable beam" part. I saw in a review on Amazon someone saying that the pattern was improved by "clocking" the bulbs. That wasn't very helpful. I'm also concerned by the fact that for our cars (assuming a 981 headlight construction is similar to a 897), it isn't possible to adjust the bulbs while installed. To access you need to remove the entire housing, remove the screws, and pop-off the cover. Not even a way to test the polarity without re-installing the entire enclosure.

I am thinking that what the reviewer meant by "clocking" was to orient the bulb so the LEDs were facing 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. Is the bulb designed so it can be rotated 360 in the base? As opposed the the halogen which has a tab so it can only go one way and needs no other adjustment. Seems like having an infinite adjustment (rotation) you could easily be off a few degrees. But with our projector lens' cutoff at the top, I guess a slight variance from true horizontal won't be noticable.
No need to adjust the bulb. It's more for Ford, Dodge from what I remember. When installing, have the LED's pointing left to right, not up and down. My beam pattern is very close to the OEM pattern.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My question is what are the specific Hikari LED bulbs that will fit my 2014 Porsche Boxster 981S with factory OEM Bi-Xenon headlights as part of the Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) (pivoting headlight system when the car turns). The system is somewhat complicated.
I want to be sure that the LED bulbs will function properly in my car with this headlight system. It seems that most Porsche owners who have enjoyed success with the Hikari LED bulbs are replacing Halogen bulbs with the LEDS. Will they work in the Bi-Xenon system in my car?

Thanks for any information.

Barry
Honestly, the Bi-Xenon's in the PDLS system will probably be brighter than the Hikari LED. It is definitely doable but the bulb size to bi-xenon's are different than the halogen H7's.

In my opinion, if I had bi-xenon's, I wouldn't convert them to LEDs. Just my .2 cents. The only benefit I may see happening if you decide to change your bi-xenon's to LED, the light output might be a tad more crisp.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just a quick question about how 981s were equipped from the factory: did base 981 Caymans came standard with halogen low beams? The reason I ask is that my 2014 Cayman S has HID (xenon) low beams, but halogen high beams. When I look up the option package for my car (which I bought used) via vinanalytics.com, I see no package that indicates any sort of headlight option package from the factory - "bi-xenon" or otherwise. So is it true the Cayman S came standard with HID low beams? And does "bi-xenon" instead mean xenon HID for both the low and high beams?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick question about how 981s were equipped from the factory: did base 981 Caymans came standard with halogen low beams? The reason I ask is that my 2014 Cayman S has HID (xenon) low beams, but halogen high beams. When I look up the option package for my car (which I bought used) via vinanalytics.com, I see no package that indicates any sort of headlight option package from the factory - "bi-xenon" or otherwise. So is it true the Cayman S came standard with HID low beams? And does "bi-xenon" instead mean xenon HID for both the low and high beams?
Cayman S come standard with HID's as standard.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Honestly, the Bi-Xenon's in the PDLS system will probably be brighter than the Hikari LED. It is definitely doable but the bulb size to bi-xenon's are different than the halogen H7's.

In my opinion, if I had bi-xenon's, I wouldn't convert them to LEDs. Just my .2 cents. The only benefit I may see happening if you decide to change your bi-xenon's to LED, the light output might be a tad more crisp.

Hope this helps.
I just came across this thread and as I upgraded my tail lights on my 2010 Cayman S to LED, I was wondering if I should do the same with my Bi-Xenons. Seems like there is little benefit unless my Xenons are faulty.

A question, with the dynamic light system, will changing bulbs from Xenon to LED affect or disable the DLS? I dont think it should but thought I'd ask to confirm. I love the DLS on my Cayman.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts