Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few days before going to London I saw a HIP engine cover on eBay so snapped it up. In preparation for the clear cover I took my plenum with me to have it 'hydro-graphic dipped' in carbon. The result was great. Back in South Africa I painted the rest of the intake and fitted the cover.
I absolutely love how it all turned out but not so keen on the noise. I even fitted some extra insulation around the bottom edge of the cover which helped a bit but the sound is just a bit too crazy for me. I put the carpet back to test and I much prefer the deep tone from the exhaust rather than the higher pitched noises from the engine.
I was wondering if anyone tried anything else to keep the noise down or even gone back to stock?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I agree. Looks real good.

I think the only clear cover out there that doesn't add noise is the Strut King. Somewhat more expensive.

·
Administrator
34,503 Posts
There is a great comparison article among the 3 types of clear engine covers in our Articles section complete with decibel readings. You are correct that you will hear more engine noise with any clear cover, but adding carpet back over the top can mute that if you prefer while driving. I like the hydro dipped carbon look, how much did that run you?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a great comparison article among the 3 types of clear engine covers in our Articles section complete with decibel readings. You are correct that you will hear more engine noise with any clear cover, but adding carpet back over the top can mute that if you prefer while driving. I like the hydro dipped carbon look, how much did that run you?
Thanks, I did read the article a while ago, I didn't think it would be so bad and I was only in the UK for a few days and the HIP just happened to be available.
The hydro-dipping was 60 uk pounds www.[COLOR=#444444]hydro-graffix.co.uk[/COLOR]

·
Registered
380 Posts
I agree, that looks fantastic. Perhaps you can drive it with the carpeting over the plexiglass to dampen the high frequency noise and remove it whenever you want to show off the engine. You can't see the engine while you are driving anyway.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Im more concerned with squeeking noises my cover makes. Did you find a way to fix this too?

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
I've had the HIP for a few years and currently have Strut King. The look/quality of the HIP is top notch but the higher pitched noises got to me so I sold it and got the Strut King. The sound (or lack there of) of the Strut King was music to my ears and glad I made the switch. As far as looks/appearance, it could be better but it's not bad. One thing I was a little disappointed with was the carpet cover which is just Lloyd's floor mat cut/trimmed to size. There are definite trade-offs with each.

Also to get rid of the squeaking noise, I'd contact HIP and ask him if he could send you those anti-squeaking noise strips. He usually sends those out with each purchase. They are basically little transparent strips (2 or 4?) that stick on to the metal where the rubber part of the cover makes contact with the car (which would be the side closest to the rear of the car) If he doesn't have any, you could probably drop by a shop that sells clear bra and see if you can get some left overs pieces and cut those to size and see if that works. The strips from HIP definitely worked. Or you could ask HIP what product he uses.

Good luck!
-Moto

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info, after driving it all week I put it back to stock. The Strut King would be too expensive to ship over here so it looks like my clear cover experience is over

1 - 10 of 10 Posts