Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was driving down the highway and the guy in front of me ran over a shredded truck tire, which sent it moving and there was no way I could avoid it. I just had to white knuckle it and hope it went under the car. (fat chance with the clearance on a boxster). All in all it could have been a lot worse. when I inspected the damage, at first I didn't see any. But upon close examination I found 2 things. On the driver side, the horizontal grill slats were broken. and I was hearing a hissing sound, almost like a leak coming from the radiator looking thing inside the front bumper. Turns out that is the air conditioner condenser. and yes it was leaking. I took it to my dealership and the quote they worked up was very reasonable. Turns out, you can individually replace the front slats per side. my insurance company is treating it as comprehensive not collision. So its just a $100 dollar deductible and no raise in rate! Should get my baby back in a week. :)
New Bitmap Image.jpg

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
You got lucky! Those alligators are much harder and inflexible than people think. It can be a very powerful impact.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Good thing you had good insurance!

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
ouch....glad it looks like it is going to work out OK for you....

·
Registered
325 Posts
You are EXTREMELY lucky. Usually, insurance treats hitting ANY object, except an animal, as collision. However, even if it was not covered under comprehensive, no insurance would raise the rates. The deductible for the incident would just be higher. Any way, glad that was all the damage. The condensor is usually a quick repair.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Your statement of the vehicle in front of you threw it at you...allows a quality insurance company to pay it as COMPREHENSIVE.

This often considered as flying debris and unavoidable.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
How can our relatively incompetent governments try to regulate sodas they think are too large for us and "bad" for our health, kids school lunches, and on and on but not do anything about an issue that is a life threatening problem costing a boat load of money for damages. The interstates are filled with this tread crap everywhere you look and drive but the retread industry and trucking industry seem to get a free ride. I've had damage twice from this same scenerio as I'm sure many others have had as well. If bumpers were falling off cars half as frequently and littering highways, there would be massive government mandated recalls to solve the problem. Here.....cricket noises. Unbelievable. End of rant.:cheers:

·
Registered
325 Posts
How can our relatively incompetent governments try to regulate sodas they think are too large for us and "bad" for our health, kids school lunches, and on and on but not do anything about an issue that is a life threatening problem costing a boat load of money for damages. The interstates are filled with this tread crap everywhere you look and drive but the retread industry and trucking industry seem to get a free ride. I've had damage twice from this same scenerio as I'm sure many others have had as well. If bumpers were falling off cars half as frequently and littering highways, there would be massive government mandated recalls to solve the problem. Here.....cricket noises. Unbelievable. End of rant.:cheers:
Wish I could "like" this comment twice...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I like because your insurance treated you right (I do not like because you baby got hurt). Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Ya, I have USAA. The rep on the phone asked me several different ways about the tire. I think he was trying to get me to say the car in front of me threw it up. I love USAA.
+1 for USAA! They are the absolute best. I could care less if their price is a few hundred dollars one way or another. They are a
ways there and play no BS games.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Ya, I have USAA. The rep on the phone asked me several different ways about the tire. I think he was trying to get me to say the car in front of me threw it up. I love USAA.
Love USAA as well. 3 years ago 16 year old ran over a river rock placed in HS parking lot in 04 Passat, gouged oil pan, got low pressure light, and she was smart enough to park it. I picked her up and @ 7:30 pm that night asked her to get little one from soccer practice in Mom's new Subaru Outback. She promptly backed it into my 08 Highlander FOR THE TRIFECTA!

I was a 30 year USAA member at the time, they were very gracious about the $6,000 total bill for my daughter's transgressions. Rates were unchanged - they could've hosed us but didn't. Don't care if GEICO or Progressive is cheaper at this point, they stood by us.

·
Registered
507 Posts
looks like you got lucky! my roommate did the same thing has his repair was 12 thousand! lots of suspension and things broke

·
Registered
79 Posts
Glad that your damage is minimal.
USAA IS the best ... took care of over 6k worth of damage to one of my other cars after a deer strike ... comprehensive coverage and no increase in rates afterward.
Other friends have sustained road alligator damage and been hosed by their insurance companies.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you hear cricket noises, speak up, get involved, and contact your local politician.

For me it's the potholes but the government doesn't spend enough on highway maintenance. They don't have the budget because of low taxes and the government throwing a few trillion into overseas wars.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
If you hear cricket noises, speak up, get involved, and contact your local politician.

For me it's the potholes but the government doesn't spend enough on highway maintenance. They don't have the budget because of low taxes and the government throwing a few trillion into overseas wars.
There are few on here I'm sure, that have been more involved in government service. Guess what...doesn't help. Served in elected office for 10 years, appointed positions for another 11 years and still actively work to help get elected officials elected, and with who I am on a first name basis in Washington and Harrisburg. And unless you are a huge donation influence, your activity is worthless. Get involved? Ha! Good luck with that.

·
Registered
490 Posts
USAA is one of the (in my opinion) one of the top 5 insurance companies to deal with. I deal with them frequently in my position.

Their overall business model has a lot to do with the way the do business with their customers. Quality customers (insured's) allows them to be a quality company.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
+1 for USAA! They are the absolute best. I could care less if their price is a few hundred dollars one way or another. They are a
ways there and play no BS games.
+2 for USAA. I use USAA for everything. I just put a new roof on my house because the shingles were hail damaged. I sent in the invoice this morning and the money for the repair (minus the deductible) is already in my bank account.

Years ago I was driving down I-40 out of Tennessee. A tractor trailer lost a wheel and tire. I watched the wheel/tire bounce up onto the center concrete barriers. It was headed straight toward me but at the last second the wheel/tire hit a reflector and changed direction. It just missed me. I had to pull off the road and have a cigarette. :helpme:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts