Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Is there anyway that this is possible? Maybe I could ask Porsche.
Yes, only on red Boxsters though.:hilarious:

Sorry couldn't help myself. Ah no. The kick down does effect the operation of a PDK equipped car in manual mode, overriding the manual setting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think we're on the same page. I want it to switch to Sport+ if I suddenly go full throttle and hit the kick down.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I don't think we're on the same page. I want it to switch to Sport+ if I suddenly go full throttle and hit the kick down.
Ah, yes indeed different pages.

Yes it is possible, but very complex.

There is a thread here on the site about a DIY programmable Linbus project.

You would need to build this and intercept the kick down sensor and then have the unit send the press Sports Plus button.

But its unclear to my Why you would want to do this?

Im not sure I see any advantages in this.

Sports Plus:

Has a different throttle sensitivity, but as you would be full throttle anyway it would make no difference.

It would adjust the Gearbox mounts to max stiffness.

It would "loosen PSM" not sure thats a good idea for a default position on kick down.

It would turn on PASM and PSE if so equipped.

Its not like it gives a HP boost.

Was there something you were looking to achieve specifically with this?

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Given how integrated the car is, I wouldn't be surprised if it did some of that for a short time anyway. I know that a brief press of the accelerator changes the shift map for a few seconds... It could also stiffen the PASM shocks and trans mounts for a brief time. There's a lot of wizardry in the car.

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A car with Sport+ is faster than a car without it. I just figured that it should come on when you hit the kick because your trying to go as fast as possible along with all the things associated with Sport+. Just tooling along at 30 in 6 gear in auto. I did a 6-2 downshift to merge out in front of fast approaching traffic and thought that it should have been in Sport+. After you hit the kick down isn't really the time to start fiddling with Sport, Exhaust or PASM buttons.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I believe the 0-60 times are faster in sport+ due to launch control so that wouldn't help in your situation where you are already moving. As BJR was saying, full throttle is full throttle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Someone should test that. I thought the acceleration was quicker even when you just floor it without launch. I also though the shifts were quicker in Sport+? Of course these are probably very small amounts.

I just thought that it made since that Sport+ would switch on like PASM is always on standby. At least they could turn on the exhaust and make it sound like it's faster. LOL

·
Registered
782 Posts
Although Porsche won't tell you, the SPORT + mode is for the Track.
SPORT + assumes you want all out performance and you are driving as hard as you can and will continue to do so.
RPM's are kept in the Power band and shifts will not occur until rev limit, PSM settings are relaxed and shifts are faster with a noticeable change in abruptness. If you hamme the throttle in ANY mode, the car assumes that you want performance and I believe changes Mode on its own until throttle input has subsided for a period of time.
So I believe the car does what you want.-Richard

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
IMHO Sport+ is for any time that you want to use it. I put my car in Sport+ when I am backing out of the garage. :drivingskid: It stays in Sport+ until I turn off the ignition.
D--n straight! I paid good money for that button.

Reactions: oksailor

·
Registered
71 Posts
There's a reason we have paddles in PDK cars :)
IMHO Sport+ is for any time that you want to use it. I put my car in Sport+ when I am backing out of the garage. :drivingskid: It stays in Sport+ until I turn off the ignition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been a lurker here for some time but regularly read the forum. Had my Boxster GTS for two months now, and still running it in, but can tell you about the test drive I took in a BS.

I was driving at a steady 40mph in standard drive mode and floored the throttle. It immediately downshifted to 2nd and revved all the way to the red line at approx 80mph and up shifted with a nice torque kick in the back. I can't remember the exact details but it felt like the car had shifted modes. The car definitely firms up PASM in normal mode when cornering hard so it must also be doing 'something' when the throttle hits the carpet :)

Will test it when the car is run in a bit more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts