Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where this should go, but I just got an email from HOD (Hooked on Driving) reporting that a stock 370Z will overheat on the track, even at "beginner" speeds. I could copy the full text if that is allowed.

They further say that the car remains a wonderful car, etc. but to enjoy the car on the track an owner should be prepared to address engine and even transmission overheating.

Not to gloat, but....

D of D&D.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
So, the GTR's launch control (VDC) was breaking the transmission. VDC has been removed via software updates.

Now the 370Z may overheat at a novice track day.

Mama always said. You get what you pay for.

Not to gloat. I'm just sayin.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
This rumor was being spread about Caymans too when they first came out.
Thought I'd read everything authoritative about Caymans back in the day as a prospective purchaser. I missed that rumor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So, the GTR's launch control (VDC) was breaking the transmission. VDC has been removed via software updates.

Now the 370Z may overheat at a novice track day.

Mama always said. You get what you pay for.

Not to gloat. I'm just sayin.
What I heard wasn't that the VDC was removed, they simply took some revs off in launch mode. It is still there just not as quick.

A good friend of mine bought a 370Z a few days before I got my CS, and I REALLY like it. All I can say is WELL DONE Nissan. I would be very careful before pointing any fingers "You get what you pay for", especially since there are "rumors" out there, that state that Porsche is the brand that has the highest number of service issues during the first year of ownership in the US. I say rumors, since it was my uncle who told me this, and I can't remember the source. I will look for it and possibly confirm or disconfirm it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glad to report that searching Edmunds & Consumer Reports, that they do report Porsche to be a problematic car. :banana: Will have to ask my uncle were he got that from.

Still I think the 370Z is an fantastic car, and consider that you pay just about 1/2 for one of those compared to a CS, I would not consider that a bad deal and less value for money.

You get what you pay for. I actually agree with that, however that does not always mean that more expensive is better. In fact buying a Porsche, you are paying a significant premium for a well established name, with a long heritage, most of us know that going in, and we are OK with it and consider it worth it (me included), but me personally, I refuse to raise my nose and look down on "lesser" cars. Nissan has done an AWESOME job on the GTR (read ANY car magazine), and a fantastic job on the 370Z, and I think most who have seen, sat in or driven a 370Z would agree that it is a hell of a car for less than 40k.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my CS, but is it TWICE the car of a 370Z.....?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I just got back for the nissan dealership and had a look at both the GTR and Z. I am very impressed!!! For the money I can't think of a single car I would take over either, respectively. The GTR can be had for base 911 money and lets face it no magazine has even dared to compare it as there is no comparison. The Z with 330hp and basically the caymans performance for half the price. Both also need to be seen in person to be apprciated. Both have presence well beyond their selling points and I would be very happy with either actually.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I purchased a 370Z Sport/Touring with a six speed. For the money you can't beat it. However, it took six laps at Mid-Ohio to get it to the limp mode range due to oil temperature. I let Dave Schardt drive it and it took him less than five laps to hit limp. The engine is a bit noisy as it approaches 6000 rpm's.

I got rid of it when Nissan said they would void your warranty if you put an oil cooler on it.

Now I'm forced to walk into the garage every morning and look at my 09 CS ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think that prospective buyers had plenty of notice from Road and Track when they published this article in April:

An observation we made over the week was the VQ's sensitivity to temperature. Engines prefer cool weather, but the VQ absolutely detests hot days. During the track day, we had to pit after about four laps in each session, the VQ winded by high oil temps and limited by its engine management to 6500 rpm.
4 Laps?!?! Not really condusive to track days in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that prospective buyers had plenty of notice from Road and Track when they published this article in April:

4 Laps?!?! Not really condusive to track days in my opinion.
that was the point that struck me. I did a trackday at Thunderhill last year with the ambient temp at 90 -95deg... had to drink a lot of water to keep sane.. but my Cayman (2.7) ran all day and the temperature gauge never moved off its "normal" point. That really impressed me! And then heard this story on the 370Z... not that it doesn't have great performance statistics, but when it can't have any duration ... you have to declare that the Porsche engineering is a step above -- and maybe it deserves the price differential!
D

·
Registered
90 Posts
I purchased a 370Z Sport/Touring with a six speed. For the money you can't beat it. However, it took six laps at Mid-Ohio to get it to the limp mode range due to oil temperature. I let Dave Schardt drive it and it took him less than five laps to hit limp. The engine is a bit noisy as it approaches 6000 rpm's.

I got rid of it when Nissan said they would void your warranty if you put an oil cooler on it.

Now I'm forced to walk into the garage every morning and look at my 09 CS ;)
Poor Baby !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts