Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hoen License bulbs keep dying (KrafTechniks installed - pics)

I ordered my first set of license bulbs (non-dLED) in October. After a few weeks, the left side blew out. Hoen promptly shipped out a replacement free of charge. Earlier this month, the right one died. What a bother at this time of year. I'm waiting to hear back from Hoen. And yes, I properly 'handled' the bulbs during installation.

Well, at least it's not an arduous job like on the IS300. :beer:

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I ordered my first set of license bulbs (non-dLED) in October. After a few weeks, the left side blew out. Hoen promptly shipped out a replacement free of charge. Earlier this month, the right one died. What a bother at this time of year. I'm waiting to hear back from Hoen. And yes, I properly 'handled' the bulbs during installation.

Well, at least it's not an arduous job like on the IS300. :beer:
Same thing happened to me a few months ago. The left side started flickering and then went out completely. Hoen made good on the replacement and so far I haven't had any problems, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Did you notice the PCBs the LEDs are on get toasted brown from the heat generated?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same thing happened to me a few months ago. The left side started flickering and then went out completely. Hoen made good on the replacement and so far I haven't had any problems, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Did you notice the PCBs the LEDs are on get toasted brown from the heat generated?
I'm using their incandescents, although I'm kicking myself for not trying out their dLEDs when they were available.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm using their incandescents, although I'm kicking myself for not trying out their dLEDs when they were available.
I would try LEDs, we offer them instead of the incandescent type for this very reason. It's been popular as a replacement for the BMW crowd, they are actually coming from the factory with LEDs now.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would try LEDs, we offer them instead of the incandescent type for this very reason. It's been popular as a replacement for the BMW crowd, they are actually coming from the factory with LEDs now.
Do you have a link to them on your site? I can't seem to find them in the lighting section.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
I ordered the dLEDs from Hoen for the license plate. They worked (for a while) although one side was noticeably warmer than the other. It wasn't long (~2-3 weeks) before the warmer one died completely. Hoen was very responsive and refunded the cost and sent out a set of replacement incandescents. They said they were having problems with the dLEDs and would ship new ones once they became available. That was over a month ago.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you have been having problems with your bulbs.

I've had the Hoen License plate bulbs on my car for well over a year with no problems. (other than one thing)

Earlier this year I thought one of my bulbs had burnt out, so i replaced the Hoen Bulb with the stock bulb only to find out that there was a problem with the whole license plate bulb housing.
I ended up taking it to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty. (which I no longer have).

After that I put the Hoen Bulb that I though was burnt back in and I worked just fine.
Since then I have had no problems.

The dealership told me that they have had the same problem on a few other 987s.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sorry to hear that you have been having problems with your bulbs.

I've had the Hoen License plate bulbs on my car for well over a year with no problems. (other than one thing)

Earlier this year I thought one of my bulbs had burnt out, so i replaced the Hoen Bulb with the stock bulb only to find out that there was a problem with the whole license plate bulb housing.
I ended up taking it to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty. (which I no longer have).

After that I put the Hoen Bulb that I though was burnt back in and I worked just fine.
Since then I have had no problems.

The dealership told me that they have had the same problem on a few other 987s.
Hope this helps
Luckily it's just the bulbs that are going out on mine....those damn stock bulbs work just fine :hilarious:

·
PCA / POC Member and Club Donor
207 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Hoen license plate bulbs. They went out a short time after installed them and Hoen would NOT replace them. After many emails and calls I finally gave up and went back to oem.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You guys should try Ziza LED. It comes with built-in resistors so there will be no error. I have it for almost a year now and still works perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
What irony - tonight I just noticed that one of my Hoen C5W dLEDs has died - this is the second time now. I have a feeling Hoen is aware of these issues as they have pulled these dLEDs from sale on the website. I'm going to contact them anyway to see if I can get some more replacements, or swap for HIDmatch incandescents. At this point I'm not sure what I want - these Hoen dLEDs have not lasted more than 3 months per set.

[email protected], can you PM me your price list for C5W LEDs? Also V1CKMAN - where did you buy your Ziza LEDs?

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Thanks V1CKMAN, I'm seriously considering ordering a set of the Zizas.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hoen emailed me back today and offered a refund for my original purchase. They also mentioned a new C5W bulb under development - supposedly I'm getting a test set in the future. Consider me pleased with their customer support.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Hoen emailed me back today and offered a refund for my original purchase. They also mentioned a new C5W bulb under development - supposedly I'm getting a test set in the future. Consider me pleased with their customer support.
Sounds good. I'm going to contact Hoen about my dLEDs and see if they can offer something similar.

EDIT: wow, the guys at Hoen respond really quickly! Got a response within 30 minutes. They've acknowledged that there are some issues with their C5W dLEDs and are investigating, and they have possibly narrowed it down to faulty voltage regulation. Until the issue gets identified and fixed, they've taken the C5W dLEDs off their site, and they're giving me a refund. Additionally, they will notify me when a new dLED gets developed.

I just placed an order with KrafTechnik for a set of their LEDs. I'll follow up with a writeup when they arrive.

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Followup: the LEDs from KrafTechnik arrived today. Installation was simple, with just one hitch: the PCBs on these LEDs are slightly too wide to fit straight in the license plate bulb well, since they're 3x3 LED arrays:

I had to tilt each one slightly outward to get it to fit, but it isn't a problem as the flood angle of these LEDs is sufficiently wide.

Also, no error messages on the dash. So far so good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Followup: the LEDs from KrafTechnik arrived today. Installation was simple, with just one hitch: the PCBs on these LEDs are slightly too wide to fit straight in the license plate bulb well, since they're 3x3 LED arrays:

I had to tilt each one slightly outward to get it to fit, but it isn't a problem as the flood angle of these LEDs is sufficiently wide.

Also, no error messages on the dash. So far so good.
Glad to see that you're satisfied. :banana:

If you get a chance perhaps you can snap some pics of them installed on your car? :thanks:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts