Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this work before and was rather surprises because I didn't know what it was. You simply press the brake harder and a green hold indicator comes on in the left gauge, allowing you to take your foot off the brake. Recently, I dont ever see it work no matter the hill incline or decline. I actually rolled back one time between getting off the brake and rolling back.

Am I missing something like a way to enable it or it just stopped working?

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Hill hold is suppose to be dependent on the hill %, not how hard you press the pedal. It suppose to sense how steep is the hill and engage accordingly.

On my car it was very erratic from the start, and never really worked. Even on 10% hills it more often will not engage than will. Which is good because I don't need it anyway.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay that makes sense. The Benz feature is active on pressing the brake hard. Honestly it does seem kind of pointless...why should have a desire to remove your foot from the brake when you are stopped anyway.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hill hold is suppose to be dependent on the hill %, not how hard you press the pedal. It suppose to sense how steep is the hill and engage accordingly.

On my car it was very erratic from the start, and never really worked. Even on 10% hills it more often will not engage than will. Which is good because I don't need it anyway.
My "hold" is also very erratic. We have a 5-10* incline in the driveway of our home and it will set to "hold" every now and again. On the other hand it never works on the steeper incline in our condo. There is a 15-20* incline where you have to stop and swipe an access card and wait for the garage gate to open. I can lift off the brake and roll back. Fortunately, I'm in Florida so I don't need this feature too often.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Okay that makes sense. The Benz feature is active on pressing the brake hard. Honestly it does seem kind of pointless...why should have a desire to remove your foot from the brake when you are stopped anyway.
This is the entire point of the hill hold feature. At some point you need to let go of the brake so you can work the gas. Without a certain amount of skill and experience, this causes people to roll back on a hill when they want to get going.

Competent drivers can make this transition from brake to gas quick and smooth enough that it's not an issue.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
I had a 987 with an erratic hill hold. So far the hill hold on the 981 has worked perfectly.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Lol, you know what I meant, even if I didn't phrase it right :) :(. This is why I ordered a PDK, I haven't driven my manual RX-8 in like, weeks, and already I'm forgetting how to operate it, hahaha.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
The Hold function on the 981 does not kill the engine. It just applies the brakes. Mine works perfectly. I know now exactly which angle of incline will activate it. If it doesn't activate, I can just apply the parking brake, then driving off will release it automatically.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
The Hold function on the 981 does not kill the engine. It just applies the brakes. Mine works perfectly. I know now exactly which angle of incline will activate it. If it doesn't activate, I can just apply the parking brake, then driving off will release it automatically.
Or... just keep practicing the transition from brake to gas so you can get going without the crutches. :) Find a steep hill with no traffic and practice "catching" the car with the gas and clutch before you roll back. When you're starting to learn, err on the side of too much gas and catch the car with the clutch... then smoothly drive off as you normally would. As you get better at it, you'll need less gas so you don't sound like you're revving up like a hooligan each time. Eventually, it'll be no issue at all for you and you'll never worry about it again.

Reactions: Budman

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In more testing, the hold function seems just as much of a mystery as the auto start stop. Does not work consistently, but does work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts