Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We drove our new Cayman into our driveway in New Jersey driveway for the first time last night. We drove a total of about 1400 miles from the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. All is well and the car is dirty but home safe.

For the most part we had a good time except for one problem: my wife slipped and broke a wrist bone two days ago in Wilmington, NC. Luckily the emergency room folks did a great job. They X-rayed her and got her fixed up with a temporary cast in a couple of hours. The break was “clean” and “non-displaced” so it should heal fairly quick. We felt bad seeing some of the other, needy folks in the emergency room. Thank goodness we have good health care and I wish everyone had the type of coverage that I have. It’s hard for me to believe that saying this is considered “political” in some circles.

Anyway, my wife is a real trooper so we drove on to visit the Outer Banks for a couple of days before heading home. She gets a new cast from our local doc tomorrow.

All in all we were in Atlanta, GA, Savannah, GA, Beufort, SC, Charleston, SC, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, NC, Nags Head and Kitty Hawk (OBX), NC, and Virginia Beach. We did the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel on the way home.

Most the driving was fine. Charleston has some bumpy roads in the historic district and I wasn’t crazy about parking in a public parking deck. But we survived.

As I said in another thread, the track driving experience was a hoot. Some of the PEC sessions involve driving on their race track (which is pretty small, narrow and with lots of guard rails). There may be other cars on the track and there are two approved passing zones.

Other parts of the sessions involved an autocross, a drag race start, wet skid pad and the "kick plate". You drive over the kick plate at about 30 mph and when the rear wheels are on the plate, it suddenly kicks the entire rear of the car to the right or left (you never know which way it will kick). This will cause the car to spin out. Since the track surface is soaked with water, it's very hard to straighten the car out, and "correct" it, but it can be done if you have quick reactions.

We both were able to correct for the spin after some trial and error, but my wife was better at it because she instinctively put the brakes on and didn't try to outsmart the computerized on-board stability system. I tried to correct with throttle which is what I've been doing with my MG for 40 years. Old habits die slow. One of the attached photos show my wife’s first try at the kick plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Charleston is mostly built on filled in marsh and the streets sometime flood, not really sports car territory. Hope you got to enjoy some of the fine restaurants. Been some crappy weather this week.

We've been talking about going to the outer banks, I was there last when I was a kid. Did you drive straight through or get to do a little sightseeing? If you're like many of us, you really don't want that new Cayman too far out of sight. Beautiful car, what did you think when you first saw it in ATL?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be honest: I'd like to go back to Charleston......in a rental car :)
I was glad we had the stock 18" wheels with deeper sidewalls.

We were only there two days but really enjoyed it. Weather was fine when we were there. Looks like lots of great places to eat and visit. We did tours of three historic homes and did a trolley tour.
We stayed at the Marriott Riverfront and ate at "Coast" the first night. We were at a communal table across from two very funny ladies from N. Dakota; one was a retired physician and the other a retired Air Force officer. Some other folks joined us later and we all had a great time chatting about all sort of things. The second night we went to "Closed For Business". It had decent pub food and seemed to have lots of college kids there. I'm a retired college prof....so I actually like college kids :)

Because of the broken wrist we only stayed one night at Outer Banks instead of the planned 2 or 3 days. We were at a Holiday in in Kill Devil.....we had a suite with fantastic ocean views and room for six for only $99 a night! I would *really* like to go back.
When I was a kid I worked at the Jersey Shore (LBI) . This was back before they knocked down all the quaint beach cottages and replaced them with 8 figure monsters for the hedge fund crowd. OBX has a nice "vibe" that reminds me of the older days of the Jersey Shore. It's a 7 hour drive from us in NJ. I wish it was closer.......even after just one night there, I think we both felt it would be a great place to buy a beach house. We always rent a beach front house at LBI for a week and our kids & grandkids join us. We could rent a real nice house at OBX for about 1/3 the price. Or maybe just buy one. It's tempting.

When they presented the car to us at Atlanta it was covered in a silk sheet. When they pulled back the sheet and "revealed" the car, my wife actually gasped. I had pointed out Caymans to her before while we were driving but she's never really looked at one up close. The delivery process is sort of theatrical but I have to say I was also overwhelmed when I first saw the car. We basically bought a very stripped down Cayman for less than $55K which is surely a cheap car in the Porsche-world. But they treated us like royalty. It was a great experience.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and (mostly) successful journey home.

I love Charleston for is food and history, not so much the driving. :)

You know, Greenville SC has some very good restaurants and you can connect the dots from there to nearly all they way home in NJ with some of the best driving roads east of the Rockies.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, we wouldn't mind touring more of NC including Greenville and Spartanburg (I would like to visit the BMW plant).

"The Dragon" is on our bucket list too (if it ever has an "off season".....I hear it's pretty jammed up these days).

By the way, we did visit Greenville, NC on our way to OBX....not the same thing I realize. ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Except for the broken wrist, sounds like a wonderful trip. Hope your wife was not in too much pain. We have eaten at Rue de Jean but not Coast yet, we'll have to try it.

My only concern about having a beach house at OBX is it is something of a hurricane magnet. I've lived on the coast most of my life but we are likely moving upstate next year. There will be better driving there and the hurricane anxiety will ease. But having your own house and not feeling like a guest with the family would be very nice, and lots to do there too.

So cool about your reveal, I showed my wife your presentation pic and she loved it too. I do plan to go there sometime, probably after we move now. Hope there are some breaks in the weather so you can enjoy the Cayman, such a beautiful and amazing machine.

Reactions: aeronca65tl

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and glad your wife is ok.

Another NJ 718, we all have to connect.....in the spring. It’s messy out today and glad I put on my 18” winter wheels.

Rippey

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats on the new ride and glad your wife is ok.

Another NJ 718, we all have to connect.....in the spring. It’s messy out today and glad I put on my 18” winter wheels.

Rippey
Cool.....yeah. We're in Morris County.

We try to get to the Cars & Croissants morning events usually held in Chatham High School or the Dunkin Donuts in Morris Plains. I suspect these are done until Spring '18.

I haven't driven my car since I've gotten home. As you say, it's messy here (and I have two other cars anyway). I'll keep the standard tires on it and only drive it on decent Winter days (hopefully after some of the road salt is washed away).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Careful about that. The summer tyres are not rated for temperatures below 40°F.
Good point.

I'm just wanting to rack up some mileage to fully break it in (it's at 1500 miles right now). My only plan is to take it easy anyway.
I run shaved Yoko R888s on one of my other street cars all year 'round.....basically these are race tires that are barely US-DOT legal. *Those* are real fun in the Winter!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.