Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Boxster - I am attempting to remove/adjust the hood crest. I’ve have used an 8mm socket and despite turning many times, they will not loosen. The nut turns but never loosens.

The crest is slightly crooked and there is no rubber gasket underneath the emblem. So I was hoping to correct this by loosening the nut and adjusting.

Any suggestions or advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I changed out the crest on my 981 years ago to silver and the nuts on the factory crest are not so much a typical nut. There are two of them side by side on the factory crest and the post on the crest have very shallow and coarse threads in them, unlike any normal nuts would go on.

There are maybe 2-3 threads at most on the very ends of the post and the nuts are thin and hollow metal like something called a "push nut" but not flat and instead nut shaped so a socket can go onto it. I do not recall the size. Mine were also covered over in a black putty material for extra security as they dont seem like they can be tightened down much at all, so maybe your socket is not actually tight on the nut but its the putty material you are feeling?

There should also be a black gasket behind the factory crest. Its about the same size as the crest itself, so the crest is not recessed down into it so it may be hard to see until the crest is removed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the help. Where did you purchase the silver crest? Can you post a picture?
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Appreciate the help. Where did you purchase the silver crest? Can you post a picture?
Thanks,
I got it more than five years ago on Amazon. It an original emblem converted to chrome, however the seller is no longer on Amazon and the only image is from my original order back then. Its very nice, and you can find all sorts of options out there with a simple Google search of "Silver Porsche hood emblem". That is how I found mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also ended up replacing my hood emblem and had the same issue that you had with a forever turning nut. Ended up gently prying the nut down the post until it was able to catch. When mounting the replacement emblem, i used some trim tape to fix it to the hood along with the nut and post. Heard it doesn't take much for those posts to break off the back of the emblem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gelo - thanks for info. What tool did you use to pry the nut from the post? The openings for access are small.

What type of trim tape and did you use that under the emblem?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Small nose plyers should work

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I have replaced two crests on my cars with blckened out crests from Ebay, a guy from Maryland. Yes, those nuts are nuisance, and you have to be very careful. One post snapped, so I used some epoxy to glue it back. Holds well for 3 years so ar

·
Registered
10 Posts
I actually just used a thin screwdriver with the help of some needle nose pliers to work it down the post.

For the tape, used 3M vhb tape. It was actually some left over from a GoPro tape kit from Amazon. Trimmed it to slightly smaller than the emblem. Note, I didn't use the rubber gasket behind the emblem. Have had no problems with the emblem shifting in the couple years it's been installed; but my car is garaged and have Southern California weather.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the information. I will attempt removal today with needle nose pliers.
If I damage the crest or break the posts, where is the best place to purchase a new one.
Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another question - does the 981 need the rubber gasket under the crest? Some places sell the kit which includes it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Another question - does the 981 need the rubber gasket under the crest? Some places sell the kit which includes it.
Its not mandatory. As stated above you can use some 3M double sided tape if you wish as a "gasket" and that stuff will hold the emblem on the car all on its own if things are cleaned up well before application, so its a second layer of security. Or simply use the gasket that is already behind the factory crest. I personally wouldn't place the badge metal to metal for fear of wear or post breaking from vibration, and you dont want to allow water to work its way behind the badge and into the holes either

1 - 13 of 13 Posts