Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an 06 CS. A few weeks ago I was browsing Planet-9 and found a thread or an ad about an aftermarket lining for the hood to prevent damages of the hood from articles inside the compartment bouncing around. I have searched for last few hours but cannot find that thread or ad. I would appreciate it if someone can point that out to me.

Thanks.
MTN

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I just picked up an 06 CS. A few weeks ago I was browsing Planet-9 and found a thread or an ad about an aftermarket lining for the hood to prevent damages of the hood from articles inside the compartment bouncing around. I have searched for last few hours but cannot find that thread or ad. I would appreciate it if someone can point that out to me.

Thanks.
MTN
I think the benefit is more about protection when you slam the hood on too much stuff. I considered buying one and changed my mind. The name is "Das Schild" or something. I've had the car 11 months. No hood dents from inside the car so far.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts

Thanks.
MTN
Web site is P1 Speed... It's a PORSCHE Thing! - HOME

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I think it's really more about giving the car a more finished look, at least for me. It installs in about 30 sec. and fits perfectly.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
I have one and the installation is literally the 30 seconds as described earlier. It looks absolutely like it was OEM and it is nice NOT worrying about inadvertently damaging your hood.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have one and the installation is literally the 30 seconds as described earlier. It looks absolutely like it was OEM and it is nice NOT worrying about inadvertently damaging your hood.
Thank you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great idea... I suppose.

I accomplish the same thing by keeping a Pendleton wool 'camp' blanket in the front cargo compartment. Never know when you'll need a blanket and it goes on top of whatever I pack.

Today it came in handy when I made a spontaneous stop at a Papa Johns to order and pickup a pizza. Wrapped it around the pizza box. Kept it toasty warm during a 15 minute drive home.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would like to see something of that nature that might not only protect the hood & decklid but also help diminish any road noise resonances a bit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would like to see something of that nature that might not only protect the hood & decklid but also help diminish any road noise resonances a bit.
Uhhh.... wool blanket? :banana:

Semi seriously, the wool blanket is the answer to everything. I might try another one behind the seats... see what that does to absorb road noise.

Nice thing about a blanket, it's actually useful for more than one thing, rather than just reducing the cargo volume.

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
The Das Schild prevents a single sharp edge from poking a dent UP into your hood, and it takes up less space than any thickness of wool blanket that could attempt to do as much. It doesn't reduce cargo volume in any meaningful way. Not like a wool blanket does.

I have even moved mine from one car to another in about 5 minutes.

What can't be done with a combination of a wool blanket, duct tape, large plastic trash bags, zip ties, and a roll of paper towels? Huh, McZataraguyver?

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
The Das Schild prevents a single sharp edge from poking a dent UP into your hood, and it takes up less space than any thickness of wool blanket that could attempt to do as much. It doesn't reduce cargo volume in any meaningful way. Not like a wool blanket does.

What can't be done with a combination of a wool blanket, duct tape, large plastic trash bags, zip ties, and a roll of paper towels? Huh, McZataraguyver?

But seriously, folks.... I really struggled with the dreaded trunk thump for a couple months. It was the worst problem I had with the car. I've solved it finally.

1. Remove the liner in the hatch (see the article) and change put some o-rings top and bottom of the weight that's suspended under there. I tried the foam strips and didn't like the result, but the o-rings did it.

2. Pull the plastic off the rear starting behind the passenger side tail light and working to the middle. The point of this is to expose the lock mechanism for the hatch. The lock is screwed down to the chassis with two bolts that go in oversized holes in the lock housing. One of my bolts was loose and the lock on that side had moved all the way to the loose side. I put both side down tight all the way and put lock-tite on both bolts before replacing them. There is also an article on this process. Read before you start digging.

There are two rubber bumpers at the bottom corners of the hatch door. They are threaded so you can adjust the height of them. Screw them IN a bit after you do this lock thing. You want the hatch to be tight against them but not bending the hatch tight. My hatch now requires a firm push or a drop with a little extra push (light slam?) to close. My passenger's window opens about 3" with the hatch to allow air out so I don't blow any windows or pop eardrums.

3. If you open the hatch and look on the sides of the opening, you'll see a small band of clear tape a bit more than halfway up on each side. I put some of that foam tape that I bought for the hatch weight on that and some more of it on the little rubber bump stop on the hatch that contacts that area when the hatch closes. So both sides now have extra foamy bits hitting each other.

Of the three, I'd say the tightening of the lock did the most good, but each of these improved the noise for different conditions.

No blankets required.

The front trunk, where Das Schild is supposed to go, is not a source for noise in my car. As this is supposed to be a sports car, I'd think adding weight with things like trunk liners would be sort of counterproductive, but I guess it depends on what you use your Cayman for.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm used to ridin' a Harley just about everywhere, so I just don't bring much with me. If I need to haul stuff around, I drive my King Ranch F150. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts

:)

You're driving along, stop at a bar. Young lady admires the car and wants to go for a ride. You stop for an impromptu picnic, voila! You've got a blanket.

Please! No duct tape, large plastic trash bags, or zip ties. They send the wrong message. Just a nice wool blanket.

Try wrapping your sweetie in a hood liner. No. Just the blanket. Trust me on this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts