Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I wish you luck. I ran 7 AX events with the A7's and good A7 -camber (-3.2F, -2.9R). The car was magical once I realized PSM had to be off. Since the big camber ate the inside of my front street tires, I backed off recently to -2.5F & -2.8R (the Tarrett rear toe link is so long that we couldn't reduce the rear any further). The car handled pretty well at AX on Saturday. At Sunday's AX it was a different story: I spun the car for the first time since A7's, I was sliding more, and got myself into a wild fishtail-overcorrect-fishtail sequence on a slalom. So, at the 9th event either I had a really bad driving day or the A7's are falling off. I've driven the A7's about 880 miles to/from events.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Your description of sliding more on Sunday, takes me to the idea that Hoosiers are so grippy that the swaybars can be really stiff, both f and r. What I have discovered is to let the car have a little roll, as long was its balanced. Sounds like the your fronts were sticking better than the rears. Is it possible that your rear camber of -2.8 has reduced the tire patch enough that with throttle, you have a snap oversteer issue. I have not had that sort of over correct issues, but I have reduced my slip angle to be within the PSM limits. Usually first couple of runs with PSM on then last couple its off. My coach really wants me to concentrate on getting closer to the cones, rather than big swoopy 4 wheel drifting out of straight away corners. He favors tight late apex, then hit the gas, rather than earlier apex with plenty of room for throttle steer, within the slip angle of 8/9 degrees.

My rear camber is -2.5 and rear toe in is 12 minutes. My f is -2.7 with toe out 5 minutes. I rely on the red Tarett thrust puck in the middle of the Cup LCA's to allow this aggressive toe out number in f. In the r the toe in is also controlled very well with the solid Red thrust puck of the Tarett Cup LCA, so it does not move around and Elephant toe links with bump steer. Also, my car is basically slammed to the ground, relying on the Ohlin springs to keep me from dragging the skid plate or hitting the nose on any big bumps. This lower ride really helps reduce the center of gravity f and r reducing weight transfer and those fishtailing events.
DSC_0026.JPG

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You're clearly more into the suspension than I am. I have the X73 sway bars, don't know how they relate to other bars. At one point I had -2.8F, -2.5R running RE-71s and was pretty happy. Recently I've taken some temperatures with a probe:
Small track, RE-71s, after 15 minute session: F 140 outside, 156 inside. R 158 outside, 152 inside. That seems to say that I need less -camber in the front.
AX Saturday, A7s, after third run: F outside 106, inside 107. R outside 90, inside 99. That seems to want less -camber in the rear.
Finding an alignment to settle on is frustrating.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts