Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The horn button/air bag on my 2010 987.2 CS now sticks when it is depressed. I can slip a putty knife between the horn button and the steering wheel, and pop the horn button back up. However, if the horn is depressed again, it will stick and the horn will be stuck on again. It has the same parts as a 997.2.

In the threads I have read here, the poster resolves the problem by having a dealer or indy fix it.

1. Is it necessary to replace the horn button/air bag unit with a new one?
2. Is it difficult or dangerous to remove and service or replace the horn button/air bag so that the job should be done by a professional?
3. I have neither a dealer nor a Porsche indy where I live and have done most of my own repairs. If removal of the air bag is a DIY project, is there and article or YouTube for that?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Hey there k-man Isle you can see my previous post below which goes into some detail.

I'm assuming since yours is a 987.2 it is one of the steerings with a round airbag.
No need to get a new unit if the binding cause is the same.

The decision to DIY or get a tech depends on your comfort level and experience. The removal process is simple. it is the re-insertion that can be tricky. Here is a sample video from google.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, eyeofthetiger. The removal and replacement looks simple enough. It appears my fix does not require a new air bag part.

I am still not sure what is causing the horn button to "bind", and what is needed to correct the problem. Is the wrapping on the cable for the two connectors causing the unit to bind? If so, what is the fix?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
check the post for link #7 and read post #5 also.

its usually the blue tape placed on some spots around the airbag module.
if yours already has it removed it could be caused by other factors that need further inspection.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fixed the problem. In my case the labels and tapes on the airbag module and in the steering wheel were all intact and in place. So I was stumped until I used a strip of paper as a feeler gauge to find where it was binding. I put the airbag module back into the steering wheel and slid the paper around the space between the steering wheel and the airbag module. There are cams (humps) on the sides of the airbag module near the top. The plastic casing for the airbag module had expanded (I have no idea what caused that) and was causing the cams to bind within the steering wheel.

My fix was to use a sanding block to reduce the profile of the cams. Problem fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts