Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered and took delivery of a new 2018 Macan S in June. I anguished over the color choices and ended up with the Midnight Blue Metallic. I have had 5 Boxsters in various colors and currently have a 2017 Boxster S in white. Between my wife and I, we have probably owned over 50 cars in our lifetimes. This Midnight Blue is the absolute worst color ever. It immediately shows every spec of dust, dirt, or minute squashed insect. When washing it takes a tremendous amount of effort to dry off every drop of water. If every water drop is not wiped off it dries in to a very obvious mark. And waxing is a nightmare. I spend money on good quality wax. I've tried Ibiz, Maquire's Hi-Tech Yellow, an expensive German Carnuba, and end up with obvious streaks and smears. I can wipe and rub with very nice microfiber cloths, cotton diaper like material, and other cloths. Nothing works. It's a streaky mess.

It's so crappy looking the I'm considering trading it in and ordering a 2019 of a different color,

I don't expect any replies with solutions just sort of offering a heads up if anyone is considering a new Macan and the color choices. BUT if you know of any "magic" wax that may not streak on a dark metallic color like this, please let me know,

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have never had a problem with mine...I Clay it twice a year and do any corrective polish then, follow with poor boys black hole and then sealant. Best wax I have found is dodo juice blue velvet...made for dark paints and is amazing. No streaking, provided you put it on and take it off correctly. If you prefer soft waxes to hard waxes, then purple haze is also for dark paints, I just don’t think it holds up long enough.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Possibly a ceramic coating. If you don’t want the expense of a ceramic coating try HydroSilex. I’ve been using it on my daily driver as well as my Agate Gray Cayman GTS and I think it’s well worth the money plus it’s super easy to apply.

It was recommended to me by Phil at Detailer’s Domain and he suggested I use the “ Dry Method “.

https://www.hydrosilex.com

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Black is not a color. It is a hobby. Dark blue is a close second.

I have a 987.1 in Midnight Blue Metalic. 120K miles. Needs constant attention, unless you live in San Diego, where it rains 1x / month.

My son is going to repaint it for me. Wondering about seal gray or something flashy (Kermit or orange???) Think the seal gray will be a better long term solution.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My CGTS is dark metallic blue and is IMO the best color that was available for that car in 2015. Looks almost black in dim light and the blue just pops in sunlight. My previous three cars were black and I'm done with black, but the DMB is a only little better. When I was using the Cayman to commute to work every day, it would get filthy and I washed it every Saturday. When I wash it, I dry first with a normal towel, then finish drying it with a microfiber cloth. Down here in central Florida, it's mostly light dust so between washings, I go over the car with one of those dusters to remove loose dust. When it's clean I periodically go over the car with a spray detailing wax. I've never felt that this was a burden as I enjoy cleaning and polishing the car, but I can understand how it could be a problem if you are used to lighter less maintenance intense colors. Maybe consider a wrap before trading it in?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have black and I slave to keep it clean. With both Black and Blue, they look sensational when clean. As other have said, I have ceramic coated my car and I use a waterless detailer between washes. I have more difficulty now keeping me wheels freakin clean from brake dust.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I have black and I slave to keep it clean. With both Black and Blue, they look sensational when clean. As other have said, I have ceramic coated my car and I use a waterless detailer between washes. I have more difficulty now keeping me wheels freakin clean from brake dust.
Regarding wheels and brake dust, I've been using Armour All Wheel Protectant for at least 9 years with great success. Prior to that, I'd wipe my wheels down every day. It was a pain. Now they stay dust free for a month. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bummer that you are having problems keeping the car looking good. I have a 05 987.1 Boxster in dark metallic blue and I always get comments when we are out on Porsche events on how pretty it is, and they congratulate us that it is not white, silver black, grey or red ;-) . I use Griot's Garage products (supporting a local company). When I bought the car from the local Audi dealer (it was a trade in) they had done a quick polish job that hid all the scratches and defects. That soon faded away and it looked like crap. With an orbital polisher and the correct products I was able to remove all of them and now the paint is 2 feet deep. A wash a week keeps it looking good and I towel dry it (or, if it is not bad, I use Griot's speed shine and in 10 minutes the car looks good - except the wheels). Every month it gets some spray on wax put on after a wash (you apply this when there are still trace amounts of water on the car then buff dry). I detail it once a year which includes Mr. Paint Chip to hide most of the rock chips (the car is my daily driver spring, summer and fall). This is the same treatment that I do on our other cars (a Dark Grey GTI and metallic red Subbie). Ya, it is a hobby.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I’ve had two black 911s and never found either especially hard to keep looking nice. Of course, all my cars are DDs and a couple of rock chips and a few dead bugs aren’t a big deal. If a bit of of dust or a streak or two worries someone on a Porsche, it won’t matter what colour it is...although darker colors do work best for people with a lot of time on their hands to be full-on OCD or the attitude that these are just cars, designed to be used outside where things like rain, gravel, bugs, tree sap and other “elements” are inevitably going to affect a pristine paint surface when using the tool as it has been designed to be used. The less one cares, the higher the chance of you owning the car instead of it owning you.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I just ordered Night Blue Metallic for my 718 Cayman. It replaces my current Mahogany Metallic which replaced my 2014 Black. I expect the Night Blue to be similar in terms of care to both of these colors. I, like others said, I clay my cars 1-2 times per year and wax with a NanoWax or Chemical Guys OptiCoat. I wash/detail our cars weekly (my wife owns a 2018 A3 in dark grey metallic......). Spring, Summer, Fall in souther Florida provides showers a few times per week on average. I continually receive compliments on the cars (including my wife's). My two cents.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have an 2003 986 with 146k miles in Midnight Blue Metallic (over Savanna Beige with a Metropol Blue top), and I love it. I think it looks great and most people can’t believe the age and mileage on the car. That being said, like any dark car, it needs to be constantly taken care of to look good.

Fortunately, I enjoy detailing cars. As others said, it gets a clayed and paint correction each year. I like to use Klasse All-in-One, followed by Klasse Sealant. During driving season I wash it after nearly every use, and like to lay down a coat of high quality carnuba (Griot’s) a few times a year to make it pop.

Our daily drivers are silver cars, which are the best at hiding dirt, swirls, etc. But, for my sports car, I love it’s color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I am on my second Dark Blue Metallic Boxster, love the colour, looks awesome any time of the day or night, spectators love it too, say is the most beautiful car colour they have seen... especially love the way the different light changes the colour that you see.

BTW we also have a Macan S in the same colour it is a daily driver and a bit more to keep up as the wife is out in it pretty much every day, but still it looks incredible!

But I do admit it is a hobby, and with practice I have become pretty good at it! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in San Diego, with the desert dust on everything its still a hobby.

Black is not a color. It is a hobby. Dark blue is a close second.

I have a 987.1 in Midnight Blue Metalic. 120K miles. Needs constant attention, unless you live in San Diego, where it rains 1x / month.

My son is going to repaint it for me. Wondering about seal gray or something flashy (Kermit or orange???) Think the seal gray will be a better long term solution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I saw this car at Parade Spokane

I am on my second Dark Blue Metallic Boxster, love the colour, looks awesome any time of the day or night, spectators love it too, say is the most beautiful car colour they have seen... especially love the way the different light changes the colour that you see.

BTW we also have a Macan S in the same colour it is a daily driver and a bit more to keep up as the wife is out in it pretty much every day, but still it looks incredible!

But I do admit it is a hobby, and with practice I have become pretty good at it! ;)

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I think I saw this car at Parade Spokane
You bet! We were at Spokane for Parade, had a great time, were you there, did we meet?

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
Since this thread started I picked up a black Macan Sport Edition. (I miss my Cayman but it was time for a change.) The rear window/hatch is a dust magnet. I don't even have to drive the Macan. It still picks up dust sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Since this thread started I picked up a black Macan Sport Edition. (I miss my Cayman but it was time for a change.) The rear window/hatch is a dust magnet. I don't even have to drive the Macan. It still picks up dust sitting in the garage.
The wife's Macan is the same, one drive even for a short distance and the rear glass is a mess, careful not allow the rear wiper to activate dry, the glass is soft. Also a pet peeve about the rear hatch, wash and dry the vehicle, operate the hatch and find water running everywhere from the hatch... Grrrr!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts