Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Evening chaps... I'm having a warm start issue in that once the car is up to temperature it won't start on the first attempt. It struggles to turn over, catches for a second, then cuts out - almost every time. Second attempt works without a problem.

Checked the battery, fortunately! See attached pic

However a new battery made no difference. I've seen a few threads on what it could be, but what I am interested in is how to go about diagnosing the issue without buying a ton of new parts... i.e. Disconnect xyz to see if abc happens.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Here is a quoted resolution from a few years ago.....good luck.

"The problem you have is down to the temp sensor on the front of the engine (about £18) the sensor fails and when you try to restart after a run it tells the management system that the engine is cold, the engine fuels for a cold start and effectively floods the engine, when it finally catches the black smoke is the excess fuel being burnt off. Other symtoms are erratic temp gauge action and engine check warning lights coming on.

I hope this helps?

Chris P"

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Did spot that post... but no smoke, stable temperatures and no CEL. Thanks though :D
Smoke is not necessarily going to happen and the temperature sensor has nothing to do with the one you see on your dash. Nor is a CEL likely. This is an engine sensor related to fuel mixtures at start up not operating temperature of the engine.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
if its the front bumper temp sensor, the readings before you crank would be wrong and you'd probably spot it in the dash.
(I had -50.0 degrees celsius the other day! - obviously wrong for where I am).
Not sure about the engine bay one and how it impacts start up.

OP - your battery tray looks pretty filthy - you may want to clean it and check grounding point for wiring and if any of the wiring is affected.
next points for checking would be vacuum hoses or MAF sensor.

good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a very similar problem. Car would start cold, no problem. Stall it at a light, or re-starting when hot... struggle to turn over. No other problems, CEL, etc.

I don't have the link to the thread where I found the solution... but for my case, it was the starter. I swapped that out, and problem solved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, it looks like I finally have a solution to the issue after a whole heap of increasing problems...

It went from a hot start issue, to lumpy idle, to stalling at traffic lights, to a CEL, misfire and not able to idle at all. Sounded like a bag of hammers and encouraged me to bite the bullet and send it in to Porsche. When it began stalling at lights (before it developed the misfire and wouldn't idle) it gave P0011 Intake camshaft adjustment, bank 1 (Signal implausible) code.

Turns out it was the solenoid and after replacing these on both banks (£500 later with labour!) it's like driving a different car. I think it must have been on the way out from before I bought it, as it now feels smoother and faster than ever.

Once again I'm a happy Cayman owner :D

See this thread for more detail on the solenoid function; http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-...nd-tech/28589-camshaft-actuator-solenoid.html

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks for the update - always good when people post what the solution was in the end!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.