Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have standing searches on CarGurus for various Porsches and this morning my inbox was filled with notices of cars in Houston (981s and 718s). Needless to say, we need to be really careful about buying used Porsches for a while. While these particular cars might be fine, with all the flooding, it is likely that there will be a lot of cars (Porsches and others) that were damaged and there will be people in the coming months who try to refurbish the cars and sell them without mentioning that they were at least partially underwater. The same thing happened after Katrina.

I'm in Texas and have great concerns for what storm-affected people are going through so I'm not trying to pile on but I wanted to mention this potential problem in case people hadn't considered it. Even a car listed in another state in the coming months will need to be hard checked to confirm that it didn't somehow get transferred from down here to obscure its storm exposure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I appreciate your "tone" and understand you are not trying to "pile on". Everything you said is true and excellent advise for those looking for a pre-owned Porsche.
Agreed, avoid all Houston cars IMO. Lot of flooded vehicles with many issues will be sold soon, "like new".....yeah right. Lot of scams coming soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Actually, I think Texas is pretty strict with rebuilt/salvage titles. If someone with a flooded car puts a claim in, that salvage title will be on that car permanently, unless taken to another state that is less strict, like alabama. The only way to avoid a salvage title it would seem to me is that someone would have to have the money to have the car completely refurbished, out of pocket. With a Porsche, I guess that's always possible but if I've got a flooded Porsche, a flooded home and lost all my belongings, I don't think I would be coughing up cash to fix the car. I'd be more concerned about my family and a roof over my head. Just my 2 cents...

·
Incurable Gearhead
1,007 Posts
Mine survived up in a parking garage near home, along with my wife's Fiesta and my current work rig. The house took in 6", but all cars, motos and stuff is fine. Whew!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

And here's my wife picking it back up!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Supercar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.