Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 981CS for about 18months now. I still love it, but I also find that driving it in a city environment can be frustrating because the fun times I know the car can provide can't be readily accessed. I find myself doing weird things like slowing down to very low speeds or pulling over to create gaps between me and traffic or driving aggressively to try and get ahead of traffic (which of course often provokes others to intentionally box me in). Late at night drives on open roads bring the most fun, but that's a rare occurrence. And often at other times, I can find the experience frustrating because I want to enjoy the car but can't. I can't push the car to higher revs and listen to the wail of the flat six or take corners at higher speeds and enjoy the dynamics.

The 981CS is a true sports car and the joy it can bring in the proper context is undeniable. But perhaps those joy producing characteristics aren't really accessible in an urban environment. Hence my ruminations about switching to a car that has better low end torque. Low end torque is something that I enjoy even in moderate traffic as I can recall from days where I had cars that offered it. Its fun to feel that push in the back and move past traffic with ease. It makes me think that perhaps a move to something with more of a low end torque focus (like the C7) will actually be a more enjoyable car to drive in my particular context.

Do others in urban environments feel the same frustration with their 981?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
There's the "gotta drive that car every day" crowd, who enjoy driving that car every minute regardless of the traffic/road conditions. If you're that frustrated, maybe you should consider using a different vehicle in that environment and taking the car to a track regularly.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can understand this feeling.
I also think a Porsche is only rewarding, when driven fast, sporty.
If you drive it like any other car, then there are more disadvantages that advantages. I had the same feeling with my 981 S (sold already)
Better choose a sporty Audi or BMW for daily driving.
Countryside, mountains or track there the 981 is in the right environment. Forget city driving with it.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
It depends on what type of city you are living in. I live in a small city with about 84,000 people. It's urban with small sky scrapers. ...but a short ten minute drive away and I am on twisty roads with farms, covered bridges and great country scenery.

If you live in a sprawling megalopolis, I wouldn't own a Boxster.....scratch that. I would just move.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I enjoy my 981 every time I drive it. I don't always have to be pushing it though I do look for times when I can safely. City traffic and congestion are no fun no matter what type of vehicle you drive. If you think you will be more able to explore the capabilities of a C7 in traffic compared to a 981, well, okay then.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Lol so true about people boxing you in when they see you driving aggressively. I hate those Ford Fiestas spinning their tiny wheels just to get in front of me.

This is more an open road kinda car. No car is enjoyable in city traffic.

I'd say you can take comfort in not having as many rock chips, more people seeing your car, and the occasional legal aggressive driving which your can handle.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
It depends on what type of city you are living in.
I live in a small city but in three stop lights from my house I can be out in the country. Driving in a city like that is a lot of fun. I rarely take my car to "the big city of Charlotte". Driving there just isn't enjoyable in any car.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is basically what Visualguy has preached consistently for a while now...that the Cayman isn't as well suited for urban, daily driving as other cars due to a number of relative facts (lower torque, low front end, harsh suspension, attention grabbing looks, etc.)

Theres not really much to say if you feel that way other than, you're probably better off getting a different car for daily duties. There are many great sporty options out there that would address almost every one of your points.

I can only speak to my opinion, and minority or not, all I can say is...I don't feel the same way. No other way to put it. For 3 years, I drove my 987 Cayman S with manual transmission while living and working in downtown San Francisco, and those that know the city well know that it has horrible streets, the steepest hills you could imagine, and no one gives a **** about cars (they are almost all torn up). I had a one car garage and put 44,000 miles on it. Drove it ALL the time. But I never once wished I had a different car--in fact I looked forward to driving it every day, through traffic, rain, around trolleys, buses, up hills, and definitely, in some of those most wonderful back roads in CA.

I was so bummed when I had to sell the car as I kept it pretty much spotless the whole time--no door dings, curb rash, bumper marks, washed it multiple times a month, detailed it in the garage on late nights, and added a few mods that made it feel unique to me (Remus exhaust, Champion 19s, Carbon interior bits all over). But I bought a house and I really needed more hauling space...so I switched to a MINI JCW. Yup I have to admit that a MINI does fit furniture better than the Cayman. I couldn't add another car as my wife gets the second garage spot.

But now three years with the MINI and pretty much all the hauling needs are done, and I've been counting the days until I can get back into a Cayman. There are some great cars out there that I considered at the same price point...FType, M4, RS5, but as capable as they all are, none of them excite me as the Cayman does. I more strongly considered the Alfa 4C but I fear it's a bit too compromised for DD use, for me (perhaps not others).

The only car that i really considered getting instead of the Cayman, was the 911. Having also owned one in the past, I loved it, but funny enough I found the Cayman to be more practical...and factoring the substantial price difference, and I realized the choice was easy.

It's a pretty good time to be a fan of sporty cars. There's a lot of good options out there. I say drive what you LOVE, when you can. If it puts more of a frown on you face than a smile the majority of the time you're driving it, then change it for something else. I can't speak for the C7, as I have no experience with the platform or have had any interest, but I think that M cars are probably as good as it gets in terms of all-around capabilities are concerned, followed by the 911.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I've had my 981CS for about 18months now. I still love it, but I also find that driving it in a city environment can be frustrating because the fun times I know the car can provide can't be readily accessed. I find myself doing weird things like slowing down to very low speeds or pulling over to create gaps between me and traffic or driving aggressively to try and get ahead of traffic (which of course often provokes others to intentionally box me in). Late at night drives on open roads bring the most fun, but that's a rare occurrence. And often at other times, I can find the experience frustrating because I want to enjoy the car but can't. I can't push the car to higher revs and listen to the wail of the flat six or take corners at higher speeds and enjoy the dynamics.

The 981CS is a true sports car and the joy it can bring in the proper context is undeniable. But perhaps those joy producing characteristics aren't really accessible in an urban environment. Hence my ruminations about switching to a car that has better low end torque. Low end torque is something that I enjoy even in moderate traffic as I can recall from days where I had cars that offered it. Its fun to feel that push in the back and move past traffic with ease. It makes me think that perhaps a move to something with more of a low end torque focus (like the C7) will actually be a more enjoyable car to drive in my particular context.

If I lived in the city I'd be driving something practical like a Honda Civic. Not sure why you yearn for a car with more low end torque when the top speed in any city that I've visited was 45 and most of the time it's either 25 or 35. You can lease a Civic for around $180 a month and keep your 981. That way you'd have a practical car for your city driving, and a sports car for those times when you can do your spirited driving.

In my case I live and work in the country. So every day driving my 981 is an enjoyable one for me.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I'm with Chulander. I enjoy my 981BS every trip. Slow and go? Turn on ACC, relax. Top is down unless it's raining. Freeway? Sport+ for the merge, enjoy the taut lane changes into the middle lane. Slow traffic in the middle? Enjoy a quick lane change and stab the throttle into the left lane. All legal. Every control input works so well! Plenty of torque for me, esp in Sport+.

But I configured the car as a DD: PASM, PTV,SC, PCM, PDK, ACC, 14-way seats, etc. With more money, would have gone full leather. And with SC, it's a joy on the twisties, too.

Reactions: baege

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I live in SF and the speed limit in the city is 30, so you can't really go over 40. It's a great city car. Put the top down, the heated seats and steering wheel on, and you can always fit in a parking space. Just don't get the x73 suspension.

There's a nice social aspect to the car where people look at it, probably because of the white 20" wheels. But otherwise it blends in and it's not too spendy compared to other cars on the road. I'd imagine in some rural places it's ostentatious to own a Porsche, whereas city dwellers would think it's a normal car if you're going to own one.

+1 on the PAS - ACC feature for stop and go traffic, when you have to leave the city at a peak hour.

Reactions: Richman

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm with Chulander. I enjoy my 981BS every trip. Slow and go? Turn on ACC, relax. Top is down unless it's raining. Freeway? Sport+ for the merge, enjoy the taut lane changes into the middle lane. Slow traffic in the middle? Enjoy a quick lane change and stab the throttle into the left lane. All legal. Every control input works so well! Plenty of torque for me, esp in Sport+.

But I configured the car as a DD: PASM, PTV,SC, PCM, PDK, ACC, 14-way seats, etc. With more money, would have gone full leather. And with SC, it's a joy on the twisties, too.
Interesting and different perspectives on enjoying a 981!

·
Registered
64 Posts

As one who traded his 07 Corvette C6ZO6 for a similar vehicle as yours I can attest our Cayman S is more usable in a metro area. The Z was so aggressive it was like Jet plane trying to use a short runway. Our S is why the saying,It's more fun to drive a slower car fast, than to drive a fast car slow. I just got tired of "running out of runway". I can't ignore that seldom experienced 0-80 thrill ride in the Z is missed but the Cayman is just more fun to drive in the real world of street motoring.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As one who traded his 07 Corvette C6ZO6 for a similar vehicle as yours I can attest our Cayman S is more usable in a metro area. The Z was so aggressive it was like Jet plane trying to use a short runway. Our S is why the saying,It's more fun to drive a slower car fast, than to drive a fast car slow. I just got tired of "running out of runway". I can't ignore that seldom experienced 0-80 thrill ride in the Z is missed but the Cayman is just more fun to drive in the real world of street motoring.[/Q

Helpful info. But wasn't the Z more fun to get up to 40 than the cayman is? the only comparison I have really is the 5.0 fox body mustangs I had back in the day which offered instant torque and throttle response and a push in the back and an ease of moving through traffic that I recall as being quite fun in and of itself...I do wonder if the C7 will offer that and an approximation of the refinement, precision and handling that I enjoy in my cayman...the one test drive I had wasn't all that convincing though...

·
Registered
122 Posts
City driver here... the X73 suspension is fatiguing on crap roads. I've been thinking of picking up a stripped Mk7 GTI as a DD.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes it was. As I stated I miss the occasional 0-80 on ramp thrill rides. But as someone else kind of said the Porsche is a less in your face ride than some other choices,Corvette included. The Z at times tended to bring out the worst in other drivers. The Cayman so far never has. Nothing but best wishes and positive comments from all age groups male and female alike.

·
Registered
700 Posts
This thread makes me laugh as I'm thinking about the various posts about model, suspension, transmission and stereo choices throughout this forum. I'd surmise that a base Cayman with PDK, PASM and Burmester is the perfect choice for the urban environment because you can slap it in auto to save wear and tear on your knee and clutch, set the suspension to normal to soak up the potholes and enjoy the fantastic sound as you sit in traffic and then wind it to redline from stoplight to stoplight LOL!

Seriously though, an urban environment is no place I'd want to drive a sports car with any regularity. I scratch my head every time I see an exotic car in the city, which, oddly enough, is where I usually see them. I imagine it is as much about being seen as enjoying the driving experience and that's where the big money people live I guess. Maybe that's why they tend to be so low mileage. If I had that kind of money I'd have a place near the track, or anywhere with good driving roads like the mountains or countryside, with a garage full of sports cars and motorcycles.

Thank goodness I don't live in, or near, a city, but if I did, something more conducive to economy and parking and less intimidating for door dings and fender benders would be my choice. I don't know, something like a Mini Cooper, GTI or Impreza perhaps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
There are definitely others that do. I don't. I enjoy my 981 in the city. Granted, I enjoy it much more outside the city and on the twisties.
Twisties in Texas? Haha

Reactions: Neebs
1 - 20 of 36 Posts