Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Girls,

it dosent seem like a lot of people here track 2.7l 987 Caymans? - so I havent been able to find any good information on the oil starvation issue with this car, if it has been covered i do apologize.

At my last DE my instructor recommended me to consider going to R-comps for my track tire, but knowing that the 987.1 has some oil starvation problems, I was wondering:

How aggressive a tire would you think I could use on my 2008 987.1 2.7l without running the risk of blowing an engine? (assuming due to oil starvation)

I have done nothing to the engine at all - completely stock with around 62k miles on it.

I am currently running MPSS but was in that case considering going to either the "Extreme Performance Summer tire" like the RE-71R, ZII Star Spec or R-S3
Or if I could safely go one step further and get a set of NT01 or R888 ? not planning on going all the way to a Hoosier yet :)

also if you happen to know this - I assume i would be able to fit the same size tires as with a 987.1 S ( 18") ? and would be able to use the advice you have already written on tire sizes as very few of these comes in OEM sizing.

I appreciate your advice!

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
You might be running into just too limited a population. It's a little fuzzy now but I don't think 2.7 was available until 2008 and then changed in 2009. Reduce that by P-9 members and again for those that track. Just might not be enough to get more than an educated guess.

I doubt there's much difference in cornering speed and hence G load between 2.7 and 3.4. Same for the lubricarion system. Only difference might be the reduction in reciprocating mass. The 2.7 is probably a little easier on the rod bolts. FWIW I've never heard of a 2.7 blowing. My guess is that it's purely the lower numbers. Maybe there is a mechanical difference that makes you safe. Dunno. I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Jim at Tirerack should know about tire fitment. Good luck.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I tracked a 2007 2.7 for two years and no oil mods but did have GT3 LCAs and aftermarket anti-roll bars. During the second year I went to Toyo R888. I traded that car in on a Cayman S but did add a deep sump and motorsport AOS to the "S". I had 20 track days on the 2.7, currently 113 days on the "S", all Instructor run group. The deep sump mod is relatively inexpensive. When your cornering "G"s get up you will know when to add the AOS from the intense smoke on startup after a track session.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Going up R-comp is a huge risk on S models as far as I read, but how good are your driving?
If you still have potential to improve your driving with street tires, why not keep practicing them? Normally if you are under 20 trackdays, you still have lots to learn and feel.
If you feel uncertain, a deep sump is definitely recommended, but nobody is sure about the possibilities.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am around the 20 track day mark, and and have 6 more booked the next 1,5 month :) I wasent considering going R-compund until my instructor last time recommended that I should consider it. Thats what made me start thinking about it. That being said i can still learn a lot with street tires, I am not claiming to be a great driver in any way, I am still setting the limits and not the car.

But after talking to you guys, and a few mechanics - I dont think 1,5-2 sek a lap is worth the risk of blowing an engine - will stay with street tires till I am ready to take the plunge and by a better suited car.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
It doesn't just depend on the tires. The question is how many long wide curves the track has. A track with hairpins and straights won't try to starve nearly as much.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,631 Posts
2.7 was available in 07. I know of several highly modified and aggressively driven 2.7's that have well over 100 track days and 100,000 miles with no engine issues. One on the big reasons I believe that the main issue is heavy pistons and crappy rod bolts in the 3.4. The 101 mm pistons in my 4.0L are lighter than the stock 3.4 L pistons!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2.7 was available in 07. I know of several highly modified and aggressively driven 2.7's that have well over 100 track days and 100,000 miles with no engine issues. One on the big reasons I believe that the main issue is heavy pistons and crappy rod bolts in the 3.4. The 101 mm pistons in my 4.0L are lighter than the stock 3.4 L pistons!
Interesting - would you happen to know if these 2.7's had accusumps a deep sump or something else to solve the oil starvation, or if that would simply just not be an issue with the 2.7l even as stock?

I am sure i can modify the engine to solve the problem some way, but i would really prefer not to! and will most likely rather stay on street tires for this car, than modifying the engine.

BUT if i could go to NT01's and not modify the engine that would for sure be the most fun :)

I know you can never be sure - but i have not heard of any 2.7's blowing up yet, and if you know of a few on R-compound with no engine modifications that would be a compelling story.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts