Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see all these wonderful videos where folks overlay speed RPMs, and sometimes things like brake pressure and throttle position as well as location on the track map. What device and software do folks use to capture and generate this video overlay?

In karting we use AiM Sport MyChrons computers for data acquisition, so I'm assuming it's an add on like that, but I've always looked at this info as raw graphs, I've never generated it to a video overlay. It makes for a nice production quality.

Ideally, I'd combine that with a rear mounted camera so I could flash back at the long train of cars looking to pass me (jk, I think).

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are many different options out there. Many people use a smart phone app called Harry's Lap timer paired with a smart phone and an OBDII device. I use a 2 camera setup in which my GoPro Hero 2 is on the hood facing forward ( With a WiFi backpack on it ) and I have my iPhone mounted facing me in the car to record what I am doing with my hands and such. The iPhone is running an app called Track Addict that allows me to set start and finish points on the track so the GPS can start recording on both cameras when I cross the start. It records speed, direction and g-force among other things. Then I render everything together on a PC with an application called RaceRender. It creates the graphics and syncs the video footage. RaceRender LLC | Video+Data Products I just recently got a GoPoint BT1 OBDII device for the holidays, so I will now be able to show RPM, Brake, Gas, Temp, etc... Here's an example of what my video looked like in the past: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQBUwVAbx4E I hope that helps.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I use a GoPro camera and then also download car data (i.e. g-forces, speed rpm etc) directly from my car via the USB stick (need sport chrono package to do this I think). Then I pair them up using a free app called racerender. RaceRender LLC | Video+Data Products

I only had to buy a Go Pro but frankly you can use any video camera. Everything else is free.

·
Registered
684 Posts
An iPhone and Harry's Lap Timer app is the simplest way to do it. You need a wifi or BT OBDII reader to get the car engine data and an external GPS is sort of required as well. A phones GPS will work, but it updates too slowly to be really good.

·
Registered
864 Posts
An AiM Solo DL linked with an AiM Smartycam does all this for you automatically. One arrived under the Christmas Tree.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I looked into this some months ago and ended up getting the AIM Solo DL and AIM Smartycam HD. Not cheap at about 1700 bucks. To be honest haven't used it much except as a lap timer. I'm not very tech savy and get a bit overwhelmed looking at the data in Racestudio. A 2015 goal for me is to get serious about using the tools and data. Have heard that a book titled Making sense of squiggly lines (or something like that) is good, so I may pick that up. There are some AIM seminars being organized too, but location and time don't line up for me.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I use a GoPro camera and then also download car data (i.e. g-forces, speed rpm etc) directly from my car via the USB stick (need sport chrono package to do this I think). Then I pair them up using a free app called racerender. RaceRender LLC | Video+Data Products

I only had to buy a Go Pro but frankly you can use any video camera. Everything else is free.
Is this a 981 thing? My car has sport chromo plus / PCM but I can't see anywhere in the manual about how to record all those functions during a session to a USB stick.

I think I am going the AIM Solo/smartycam route soon as well. I've been using Harry's but it's never been as bulletproof as I would like. I will say the video coming out of the iPhone 6 with Harrys is a substantial improvement over the 5S!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Is this a 981 thing? My car has sport chromo plus / PCM but I can't see anywhere in the manual about how to record all those functions during a session to a USB stick.
No - works the same on my 2011 987.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts

I think I am going the AIM Solo/smartycam route soon as well. I've been using Harry's but it's never been as bulletproof as I would like. I will say the video coming out of the iPhone 6 with Harrys is a substantial improvement over the 5S!
I don't recall if it is in the 981 manual either. But here is a video I made of how to download the data. The screen shot looks shaky below but the video is actually fine. The data is outputted in a .csv file which race renderer and excel can read. gps (lat/long), gear, speed, rpm, and some other items are recorded.
I think you need sport chrono icw PCM and not just sport chrono with PCM. There is a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mV5yp6po4M

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Zedcat, take a look here for helpful AiM videos https://www.youtube.com/user/aimdata Making Sense of Squiggly Lines is also recommended. I have written an article over of the Cayman Register that's almost ready.
Many thanks BillL, I'll have a look. Just need to carve out some time and study. No doubt there is a lot of potential in data analysis.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I personally think having real time access to your lap time is the single most important piece of data to improve your driving. (Though I did ask the question and am still very interested in producing the videos).

My reason for wanting to see the real time laps is as follows.

Imagine you're learning to shoot free throws in basketball and you're blind folded. You shoot 10 shots and after you're done your friend says, that was great you made 2 out of 10. The obvious question was which 2 and how did I miss the other 8. Where they short? Off to the left, to the right?

There's zero ability to internalize what was a good free throw even if someone says, wow that first one you made was perfect. Keep doing that.

Analyzing your laps after a session can pose a similar problem (until your lap times are very consistent, more on that in a second). By seeing your lap times in real time you can begin to internalize what a fast lap felt like. Too smooth? You are probably slow. All over the place, well you probably already knew that was slow. Most of my best laps come when I'm just on the verge of making mistakes. Too perfect in my experience is usually slow. But all of that came from seeing the lap times and matching it up with what I just experienced. Much in the same way you could see yourself shoot a free throw, see it go in and say 'Aha, that's how its supposed to feel'.

With regards to data analysis, once you have very consistent laps or if you have a very good driver who will share their data with you (ideally by driving your car), you can definitely spot trends and key points to improve with. I often found I actually had higher cornering loads and speeds than faster drivers than me, but they clearly optimized their exit speed better as an example of how seeing that sort of comparison helped me. Braking is also a common area where massive amounts of time are lost.

But I'd still say seeing the real time laps is the first step for sure.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Here are a few screen shots from my data (AiM Solo) downloaded on a PC. 1st shot is 3 different lines going through turn 10 @ Summit Point, 2nd shot is my "Friction Circle" from several runs at SP, 3rd shot is a couple of fast laps at Watkins Glen, note some of the G forces.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I don't recall if it is in the 981 manual either. But here is a video I made of how to download the data. The screen shot looks shaky below but the video is actually fine. The data is outputted in a .csv file which race renderer and excel can read. gps (lat/long), gear, speed, rpm, and some other items are recorded.
I think you need sport chrono icw PCM and not just sport chrono with PCM. There is a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mV5yp6po4M
Great video! I know now why I didn't delve into this any further, when I got the part in the manual where you have to flip the function lever each lap to start a new lap I decided that wasn't going to be something I wanted to deal with. That being said what info (if any) does the system give you besides speed, RPM and lap time?

thanks

Rich

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I personally think having real time access to your lap time is the single most important piece of data to improve your driving. (Though I did ask the question and am still very interested in producing the videos).

My reason for wanting to see the real time laps is as follows.

Imagine you're learning to shoot free throws in basketball and you're blind folded. You shoot 10 shots and after you're done your friend says, that was great you made 2 out of 10. The obvious question was which 2 and how did I miss the other 8. Where they short? Off to the left, to the right?

There's zero ability to internalize what was a good free throw even if someone says, wow that first one you made was perfect. Keep doing that.

Analyzing your laps after a session can pose a similar problem (until your lap times are very consistent, more on that in a second). By seeing your lap times in real time you can begin to internalize what a fast lap felt like. Too smooth? You are probably slow. All over the place, well you probably already knew that was slow. Most of my best laps come when I'm just on the verge of making mistakes. Too perfect in my experience is usually slow. But all of that came from seeing the lap times and matching it up with what I just experienced. Much in the same way you could see yourself shoot a free throw, see it go in and say 'Aha, that's how its supposed to feel'.

With regards to data analysis, once you have very consistent laps or if you have a very good driver who will share their data with you (ideally by driving your car), you can definitely spot trends and key points to improve with. I often found I actually had higher cornering loads and speeds than faster drivers than me, but they clearly optimized their exit speed better as an example of how seeing that sort of comparison helped me. Braking is also a common area where massive amounts of time are lost.

But I'd still say seeing the real time laps is the first step for sure.
I guess there are drivers here that can watch their split times/laptimes while they are on track and analyze accordingly but I'm not one of them. I keep track of my times but usually I already know whether I had a good session or not before I see them. For me at this point it's about seat time, repetition and flow. Harry's is good for logging lap times and seeing what your straight/corner speeds were but that's about it. I've seen the data the AIM system provides and it seems like a great analysis tool which get's into way more detail.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use Aim SoloDL hooked up to OBD. You can have a laptop with you and download the data after the session onto Racestudio. The new smartycam HD is neat but expensive, especially since I already have a good working video camera and SoloDL.

I use Trackvision to overlay the data. It a bit cumbersome. I'm gonna try Dashware next.

I use Aim MyChron4 for my TAG kart.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Anroid phone with Torque or aLapHD, BT obd2 adapter, external BT GPS.
on the PC - RaceRender.

last recording:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Anroid phone with Torque or aLapHD, BT obd2 adapter, external BT GPS.
on the PC - RaceRender.

last recording:
For android (paired with a bluetooth OBDII reader and an external GPS), I like ALapRecord for autocross, as it's available with overlay immediately after the run. MyLapHD has a nice lap timer for track. SoloStorm has some really nice features, too, including direct export of video with the data overlaid (no extra processing required), but it's pricey.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Does the GoPoint Technology 9105 BT1 read Gs from the car?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts